Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 01:23 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

[quote=Marlow;41281609]
Quote:
The Court's decisions are not mistakes; they are the law of the land even if you or a random police officer do not agree with them.
So now you are defending the law.
Jaywalking is against the law also even if you or a random teen do not agree.

Quote:
If I'm ever arrested or beaten for speaking my mind I most certainly will get my panties in a wad and you should too. The First Amendment right to free speech is crucial to living in a free society and we should all defend it vigorously. Moreover, the First Amendment protects uncivilized speech, because civilized speech does not need protection. That's the whole point.
You seem to be misunderstanding my position. I fully support the first amendment but as I said with rights comes responsibility. I am not going to be arrested or beaten for speaking my mind because I will do it in a civilized manner and know how to pick my battles. There are laws I disagree with but I still respect that it is the law, I might even break some minor laws but I wont break them then tell an officer, who is doing his job, to F off. I will comply, take my ticket then take it up with the court or whatever authority is responsible for the law I'm in disagreement with and still exercising my rights in a civilized manner.

I think you are getting your feathers ruffled unnecessarily or can you not see the difference in breaking the law and telling the cop to F off and exercising your right to free speech?

Old 09-21-2015, 01:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
When a person -- any gender or age or ethnicity -- is out if control, resisting arrest, etc., the situation ALWAYS ALWAYS brings what is called a "show of force" … (We did this on the locked psych unit too … It is a way of intervening one last time to restore safe ORDER …)

It is a way of getting the attention of the person who is deranged or intoxicated or psychotic or simply defiant …

"Kid … GIVE IT UP … You will not get away from NINE of us …"
Nah, you don't need that many cops for one kid. They should have been happy he was catching the bus to school. Instead of putting him the system, which would lead to a life of REAL crime in the future.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:28 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Who cares??? It's a kid. He will be far more traumatized by this than jaywalking. He was crossing the street to get on the bus for school. If every kid got beat up for every dumb thing they did, we have a lot more problems in society. Children have to have space to make mistakes, he made a mistake, but he should not have been assaulted for it.
He should have been taught better. He should be taught to cross streets correctly. He should have been taught to do as he is told.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:29 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,864 times
[quote=2mares;41282318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So now you are defending the law.
Jaywalking is against the law also even if you or a random teen do not agree.

You seem to be misunderstanding my position. I fully support the first amendment but as I said with rights comes responsibility. I am not going to be arrested or beaten for speaking my mind because I will do it in a civilized manner and know how to pick my battles. There are laws I disagree with but I still respect that it is the law, I might even break some minor laws but I wont break them then tell an officer, who is doing his job, to F off. I will comply, take my ticket then take it up with the court or whatever authority is responsible for the law I'm in disagreement with and still exercising my rights in a civilized manner.

I think you are getting your feathers ruffled unnecessarily or can you not see the difference in breaking the law and telling the cop to F off and exercising your right to free speech?
And if one intentionally escalates a dicey encounter with the police, resulting in a physical altercation and an arrest and a bit of time in the slammer waiting for your arraignment, you still have a (technical) First Amendment "right" to rant and scream at the judge and the bailiffs and tell THEM to *F*OFF … !!! …

Go ahead ...

Old 09-21-2015, 01:32 PM

50,829 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Kid was arrested with the amount of force required. Next time, perhaps he won't be arrested if he didn't curse at the cop and ignored him. Think that would work?
No. One cop could have held him, turned him around, and a second cop could have cuffed him.

Or, are you saying that if backup had not arrived, the officer would not have been able to handle the situation?

Old 09-21-2015, 01:33 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
He should have been taught better. He should be taught to cross streets correctly. He should have been taught to do as he is told.
People jaywalk all over the place. I live in a major city and see people from ever race, gender, and age group jaywalk on a daily basis and many of these are people in suits probably going to work at high paid jobs.

He's a kid that didn't know any better. He probably was more worried about missing his school bus and having a way to school.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:33 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
NO. Parents need to teach their kid not to lip off cops. Or teachers. Or bus drivers. Parents need to teach their kids respect is earned, not demanded. Parents need to teach their kids that police will enforce laws they see being broken. Parents need to teach kids to have responsibilities. Parents need to have responsibilities, not abdicate them.

And, if the cops are wrong, and that DOES happen, byt all means, pursue any avenues to correct that. In this case, the cop was not wrong.
And police departments need to train officers to not react with violence toward mouthy kids.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:34 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
When a person -- any gender or age or ethnicity -- is out if control, resisting arrest, etc., the situation ALWAYS ALWAYS brings what is called a "show of force" … (We did this on the locked psych unit too … It is a way of intervening one last time to restore safe ORDER …)

It is a way of getting the attention of the person who is deranged or intoxicated or psychotic or simply defiant …

"Kid … GIVE IT UP … You will not get away from NINE of us …"
Also did anyone pay attention to the crowd yelling and cursing. Potential riot, anyone. There was one cop and a kid resisting. One white cop, one black kid and a rowdy crowd gathering. Heck yes, call for the Calvary to cover your arse.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,864 times
Quote:
Nah, you don't need that many cops for one kid. They should have been happy he was catching the bus to school. Instead of putting him the system, which would lead to a life of REAL crime in the future.
When a call goes out for "officer needs assistance," it isn't done as a careful initial survey of the situation, with a specific request for, say, "Two more uniformed officers, please, a K-9 officer, a social worker and this kid's parents …"

In the locked psych unit when we "called a code" it brought ALL available psych techs and hospital security …

Look, these situations aren't like ordering lunch at the drive-up after leisurely perusing the menu and then going through a two page check list:

Age … ??? young adult
Gender … ??? male
Armed … ??? unknown
Previous criminal history … ??? unknown
Current mental health status … ??? unknown
Under the influence … ??? unknown
HIV status … ??? unknown
Self defense training … ??? unknown

"Ummm … No pickles, please … Oh, and many I have onion rings instead of fries … ??? … and a hot fudge sundae … To go … "

Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times
Quote:
People jaywalk all over the place. I live in a major city and see people from ever race, gender, and age group jaywalk on a daily basis and many of these are people in suits probably going to work at high paid jobs.
It doesn't change the fact he was at least standing 2 feet off the sidewalk. Where I am from a ticket for jaywalking averages $198

Quote:
He's a kid that didn't know any better. He probably was more worried about missing his school bus and having a way to school.
He stepped off one bus and was going to another bus. So there was traffic around. All he needed to do was do as he was told. He is 16 years old so he should have at least knew how to cross a street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies