Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 06:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The only gun law that would stop shootings is to make it mandatory that everyone carries.

The real issue though is the person behind the gun that doesn't value human life. Not sure what a gun law has to do with this as its not about guns, its about the person.

I wouldn't make it mandatory, but I do highly recommend that every red blooded American that is not a convicted felon to understand, and have the knowledge how to safely operate a firearm. And yes, it is the person behind the gun that is the problem, not the gun itself. In short, why should my rights be restricted, because of the a-holes in the world who have no regard for the lives of others as well as their own? I want to be able to have the means to protect myself and my family from these people if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You blame the mass shootings on mental illness. We lead the world on mass shootings of innocent people by folks with mental illness. You do the math.
I didn't blame mass shooting on mental illness.

And you didn't post any stats to support your post.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:28 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,559,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay. Let's say that this phantom "gun show loophole" is closed....yet, the mass shootings continue. What now lefties?
I am almost certain that it would not have any effect on the mass shootings.

However, no one who sells 300+ guns a year ought to be able to call themselves a "private seller".
That is a complete and obvious perversion of the intent.

I seriously cannot understand why in a rational discussion of "things that could be done better", this blatant loophole shouldn't be closed.

Even if the video was highly edited and showed just the worst ones, that is still too many guns that could be bought without a proper background check.

Gun sales are lucrative. That is the reason for the faux "private seller", who can skirt around the laws.

If the two sides are:

Ban all guns

vs.

There is no gun show loophole

Then we may as well shut the discussion down now.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:30 AM

773 posts, read 787,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Every time there is a shooting in the US (except Chicago), there is aa call for "new" gun laws.

Can anyone tell me what new gun law would have prevented the Oregon shooting, or any other shooting?
The laws in effect now do a good job controlling the flow of guns from the manufacturer to the gun shops to the 1st purchaser. After that, everything begins to unravel. It's at that point we need to make the flow of gun possession as controlled as it is up to that 1st purchase.

Every transfer of ownership of a firearm needs to be documented and registered in the same manner as gun shops are required to follow. It makes no sense to require the entry of a gun into the hands of the public to have one set of rules and then to abandon those rules as soon as that new gun leaves the store.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, some people in 3rd world countries are violent, but we are not a 3rd world country. And despite their 3rd world status they do not randomly kill innocent victims on the street. We have a problem!
Like Norway and Finland?

Read the FACTS.

If You Look at This Chart of Top 10 Nations in the World for Mass Shootings – One Thing Jumps Out

Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Feel free to post news of these massacres of innocent people.

Killings in those countries are due to terrorism or tribal disputes----------not the same. Plus you cannot compare 3rd world countries to the US.
If You Look at This Chart of Top 10 Nations in the World for Mass Shootings – One Thing Jumps Out

Old 10-06-2015, 06:33 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Since murder, assault, and theft are already crimes, it shouldn't matter what the assailant used.

Ergo, let us abolish ALL LAWS that criminalize the possession of weaponry - whether guns, swords, knives, etc.

Government is not the master, nor should the people need "permission" of the government to defend themselves and their property from attack.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,559,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
The laws in effect now do a good job controlling the flow of guns from the manufacturer to the gun shops to the 1st purchaser. After that, everything begins to unravel. It's at that point we need to make the flow of gun possession as controlled as it is up to that 1st purchase.

Every transfer of ownership of a firearm needs to be documented and registered in the same manner as gun shops are required to follow. It makes no sense to require the entry of a gun into the hands of the public to have one set of rules and then to abandon those rules as soon as that new gun leaves the store.

Many states do not require registration, even when purchased new for the first time.

I agree that a problem arises when a used gun can be sold without a background check.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:46 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post

I think that is a very reasonable and rational additional gun law. As a gun owner, I would have no problem at all with that.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Biggest problem has been the states themselves. Since the time of the I-95 connection for guns in NYC. Purchase guns by the trunk load and carry them to a market. You need to control the market where it starts at the manufacturer. The NRA and the GOP have allowed the market to control itself and not allowed the people to put in controls.

So its time to start by removing the manufacturers from this discussion.

Other factors are the failure of Govt (all levels) to provide adequate mental health for a large population. First item cut by every GOP leader.

So now the right has said they have no new ideas and just let it go. The failure of the right to stand up to the NRA is just amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies