Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 04:04 PM

572 posts, read 552,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
The timeframe of these shows was some time ago before perhaps they became illegal to sell
National Firearms Act (NFA) (1934) - Taxes the manufacture and transfer of, and mandates the registration of Title II weapons such as machine guns, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, heavy weapons, explosive ordnance, silencers, and disguised or improvised firearms.

Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) (1968) - Focuses primarily on regulating interstate commerce in firearms by generally prohibiting interstate firearms transfers except among licensed manufacturers, dealers and importers.
Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) (1986) - Revised and partially repealed the Gun Control Act of 1968. Prohibited the sale to civilians of automatic firearms manufactured after the date of the law's passage. Required ATF approval of transfers of automatic firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Seriously, that's what you can come up with? Where did you do YOUR military service? ... you are just not worth your salt,and you lost all credibility on this thread.
no, you brought on that response by stating your husband used an AK47 in the VN war.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:08 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Well excuse me I will take the word of my hero husband, that what we saw was an actual military gun. The timeframe of these shows was some time ago before perhaps they became illegal to sell, but I am even willing to bet, they are still sold at gun shows in red states, on kitchen tables and in many a gun store.....but I don't care enough to check. My lack of knowledge of guns isn't the issue at large or of any use in the discussion because I was pretty clear about putting everything other that protective handguns and sporting rifles, target guns Etc. Into the "no need" category anyway. I don't even mind collectors, or range shooters using weapons I don't personally agree with, but I want to know that law enforcement can track any such unnecessary gun to those that are legally allowed to have them, under stricter guidelines.

I would be happy to hear any or all these so called "solutions" of which you speak, at anytime.....posting here might be a good way for me to see them? I am absolutely ready, able and I have my listening ears on for some sensible solutions and be happy for someone to finally come up with some that are different than us lefties are saying. One of our biggest complaints is that NO SOLUTIONS are ever spoken of because you are too busy protecting your version of the 2nd amendment. PLEASE, PLEASE, give us some "rightie" solutions. We are truly listening.
Well, you will continue to be disappointed. And there is nothing wrong with being incorrect. A non military version of the AK-47 or AR-15 do resemble the real McCoy, but they are far from it. When fully automatic weapons became illegal for over the counter purchase was well before the advent of the M-16. So no, they weren't left over from a prior time.
I have already given solutions, but you have ignored them and in one instance informed me of the cost, so there is no point. That you don't think a solution will work, does not mean that it won't. It means you are too narrow minded to allow yourself to look at it objectively. You have an agenda and anything less than what you are seeking is not acceptable. Because of this, more children will have to die needlessly. You are ONLY listening to what YOU want to hear.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Seriously, that's what you can come up with? Where did you do YOUR military service? If it wasn't the Korean, Gulf, Iraq or afganistann you are just not worth your salt,and you lost all credibility on this thread.
I served in Vietnam... I was a navy corpsman, assigned to the Marines. I served two tours. Go ahead and preach to the choir madam.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:15 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
That is a very valid point and one I am glad you addressed. The problem is how do you prevent this? Criminals don't care about laws. They are going to sell guns to one another anyway. The good ol boy network is also in play. I have known you for 20 years and know you've never been arrested for as much as jaywalking. Do you think I am going to hesitate in selling you a firearm, just because it's illegal for me to do so? Passing unenforceable laws is worse than not passing a law at all.
the way to have solved this was years ago having more rules in place to buy guns in the first place. but that ship has sailed. just because it's gonna happen anyway doesn't mean you should just turn your back and say oh well. we should close up the loopholes. guns shows are terribly lax about enforcing the laws already. I have no problems with you selling a gun to someone who you know for 20 years and hasn't been arrested. I would have trouble with you or someone else who has a gun selling it to the creep that he knows to be shady. some cities have had gun turn in, bring your gun get a certificate for 50 bucks at wallyworld or some other incentive. this brings in tons of weapons and should be done in every city at least twice a year, more often better. I don't want to take away guns, nor ban them. I do think they should be looked after a bit more. licensing for motorcycles and testing to make sure you know how to ride one is a great thing and it would do some good for guns. anywhere there is no oversight there should be some.

as far as armed guards at school. not real sure I like that idea when a great deal of our class rooms have not the supplies they need are over crowded and teacher salaries are low. bump that other stuff up then ok. I don't like the idea of people with a gun in their purse or belt everywhere I go. far too many people are hot heads, we have road rage from people after a long day at work when someone cuts them off. that's all we need is some idiot with a gun who thinks he is out to save a situation...just in case that gets mad at someone for some dumb ass reason. far too often a gun is just an extension of male ego. I am not talking about responsible gun owners, collectors, target shooters.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:20 PM

218 posts, read 214,534 times
Quote:
If your present coarse is just fine, please enjoy your failure. You asked for an example of a law that is not enforced. Well here is one for you.. If you are a felon and attempt to go in and legally purchase a firearm through a gun shop and you are denied for your felony, you have just violated federal law. Don't worry, you won't be arrested and even if you are out on parole, you won't be revoked. You can go on your merry way. When I mentioned armed security, the first words out of your mouth were we can't afford it. Well we can afford it. We have to afford it.

Do you mean to tell me that any felon can walk into a any gun shop, get a background check (which aren't done in every state by the way), they find out he is a felon, and the shop owner does what? ....doesn't turn him in,(in which case they would be arrested, instead) or does the owner indeed, turn him in and the cops he just called go.......oh well, let's not arrest this one, I am on a coffee break, anyone want a donut? And, said felons simply go about their business and their parole officers don't even get to find out, and they find another way to get, said gun. Just like that, none of those laws are enforced? Is that what you just said, or did I misread what you wrote. My goodness, something surely ought to be done about that wackiness! That's just crazy, if you can tell me where that happens, I'll be sure and write my letter, how about you?

Yes, sadly we can afford it, we certainly have enough war funds to go around, although school spending isn't a big deAl to those of the budgeting parties in charge at the moment. But like I said what if the armed guard goes left, and the shooter goes right, problem not solved, still dead kids. Solution failure.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the way to have solved this was years ago having more rules in place to buy guns in the first place. but that ship has sailed. just because it's gonna happen anyway doesn't mean you should just turn your back and say oh well. we should close up the loopholes. guns shows are terribly lax about enforcing the laws already. I have no problems with you selling a gun to someone who you know for 20 years and hasn't been arrested. I would have trouble with you or someone else who has a gun selling it to the creep that he knows to be shady. some cities have had gun turn in, bring your gun get a certificate for 50 bucks at wallyworld or some other incentive. this brings in tons of weapons and should be done in every city at least twice a year, more often better. I don't want to take away guns, nor ban them. I do think they should be looked after a bit more. licensing for motorcycles and testing to make sure you know how to ride one is a great thing and it would do some good for guns. anywhere there is no oversight there should be some.

as far as armed guards at school. not real sure I like that idea when a great deal of our class rooms have not the supplies they need are over crowded and teacher salaries are low. bump that other stuff up then ok. I don't like the idea of people with a gun in their purse or belt everywhere I go. far too many people are hot heads, we have road rage from people after a long day at work when someone cuts them off. that's all we need is some idiot with a gun who thinks he is out to save a situation...just in case that gets mad at someone for some dumb ass reason. far too often a gun is just an extension of male ego. I am not talking about responsible gun owners, collectors, target shooters.
Well said missy, must be that Maui air, it encourages insight.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post

Tell me, what does it cost to teach a dead student, killed because adequate protection isn't provided. As I said earlier in this thread. I have 3 daughters that are teachers. They are not rich, but they are paid decently and their schools have adequate supplies. Do they have everything that they would like to have? No, no teacher ever has all they want to have.

When was the last time you heard (and please be prepared to provide multiple links) of someone who has a CHL committing an act of road rage with a firearm? CHL holders have an extremely low rate of arrest or conviction of crimes. Why? Because they have to learn and are tested on when it is appropriate to use deadly force.

The gun buy backs are actually rather comical.. Many of the guns returned won't even fire. I have one in my safe now, I would turn in that hasn't seen the light of day in 15 years or so. It is an old Jennings .22. They are well known for blowing up in your hand. I wouldn't sell it to anyone..

Old 10-05-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Ahhh... More condescension... You are getting good at it... It's a shame you can't win an argument with facts rather than rhetoric..
I'm sorry, did I miss some facts in one of your posts? I hadn't noticed.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:27 PM

it seems to me, that if an individual is a "hot head" (ie. immature/etc.) with a proclivity to using a firearm in an unwarranted situation, that person likely shoudn't have had the firearm in the first place....

(we're also assuming the 'hot head' to be an upstanding citizen (no felony convictions, etc.) otherwise, right?)

how often does or has this happened, in real life?

(I'm thinking that this sort of scenario would be ALL OVER the news, if it was to happen - because it serves the narrative so well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies