Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:27 PM

218 posts, read 214,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Doubt what you will... I would even be sociable to you.
I don't doubt it, I am a heck of an enjoyable person with many friends, all over the country, actually. Most of them are republicans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 04:29 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
Do you mean to tell me that any felon can walk into a any gun shop, get a background check (which aren't done in every state by the way), they find out he is a felon, and the shop owner does what? ....doesn't turn him in,(in which case they would be arrested, instead) or does the owner indeed, turn him in and the cops he just called go.......oh well, let's not arrest this one, I am on a coffee break, anyone want a donut? And, said felons simply go about their business and their parole officers don't even get to find out, and they find another way to get, said gun. Just like that, none of those laws are enforced? Is that what you just said, or did I misread what you wrote. My goodness, something surely ought to be done about that wackiness! That's just crazy, if you can tell me where that happens, I'll be sure and write my letter, how about you?

Yes, sadly we can afford it, we certainly have enough war funds to go around, although school spending isn't a big deAl to those of the budgeting parties in charge at the moment. But like I said what if the armed guard goes left, and the shooter goes right, problem not solved, still dead kids. Solution failure.

No, I am telling you the FBI does nothing to arrest him for attempting to purchase the gun. The gun store salesperson doesn't need to turn him in.. He has already turned himself in to the FBI and the feds let him walk. Yes, all states do the mandatory background checks.

As far as the guard going left and the shooter going right, eventually barney will figure out he went the wrong way and will still be at the shooter long before the first LE unit arrives. Would it prevent all deaths? Probably not, but if it prevents one, that is worth the cost.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt it, I am a heck of an enjoyable person with many friends, all over the country, actually. Most of them are republicans!
Well that is probably the problem... I am not a Republican...

Old 10-05-2015, 04:31 PM

9,142 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
Do you mean to tell me that any felon can walk into a any gun shop, get a background check (which aren't done in every state by the way), they find out he is a felon, and the shop owner does what? ....doesn't turn him in,(in which case they would be arrested, instead) or does the owner indeed, turn him in and the cops he just called go.......oh well, let's not arrest this one, I am on a coffee break, anyone want a donut? And, said felons simply go about their business and their parole officers don't even get to find out, and they find another way to get, said gun. Just like that, none of those laws are enforced? Is that what you just said, or did I misread what you wrote. My goodness, something surely ought to be done about that wackiness! That's just crazy, if you can tell me where that happens, I'll be sure and write my letter, how about you?

Yes, sadly we can afford it, we certainly have enough war funds to go around, although school spending isn't a big deAl to those of the budgeting parties in charge at the moment. But like I said what if the armed guard goes left, and the shooter goes right, problem not solved, still dead kids. Solution failure.
Uh, it's a federal law; they are done in all 57 states.
The feds deny a purchase and you think the gun
store should detain the customer for the police?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:32 PM

572 posts, read 552,627 times
Quote:
Quote:
No, I am telling you the FBI does nothing to arrest him for attempting to purchase the gun. The gun store salesperson doesn't need to turn him in.. He has already turned himself in to the FBI and the feds let him walk. Yes, all states do the mandatory background checks.
this goes back to the Feds not prosecuting known felons committing firearms related offenses

Old 10-05-2015, 04:44 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
[/b]

Tell me, what does it cost to teach a dead student, killed because adequate protection isn't provided. As I said earlier in this thread. I have 3 daughters that are teachers. They are not rich, but they are paid decently and their schools have adequate supplies. Do they have everything that they would like to have? No, no teacher ever has all they want to have.

When was the last time you heard (and please be prepared to provide multiple links) of someone who has a CHL committing an act of road rage with a firearm? CHL holders have an extremely low rate of arrest or conviction of crimes. Why? Because they have to learn and are tested on when it is appropriate to use deadly force.

The gun buy backs are actually rather comical.. Many of the guns returned won't even fire. I have one in my safe now, I would turn in that hasn't seen the light of day in 15 years or so. It is an old Jennings .22. They are well known for blowing up in your hand. I wouldn't sell it to anyone..

just because your daughter get an ok salary and have adequate supplies does not mean all school districts pay their teachers well and have the supplies they need. back in the day class size which was considered big a time was 22 students. now it is in the 30's for a lot of schools. we need more money spent on education then we do now. that goes without saying.

having armed guards at school or requiring teachers to be armed does not mean they could automatically save the day in case of a mass shooting, unless you want guards at every door and on every adult who works there. should we require that for our movie theaters as well? perhaps an easier answer is just locking the doors once school is in session for the day.

my point was too many people can't hold their tempers now and they don't carry weapons everywhere. I didn't mean a person with a gun goes on a road rage. we don't need masses of people who think they are out to save the world by making sure they are armed. I don't wanna see a lot of George Zimmermans or Charlie Bronson's running around. we have enough of that already.

even if some guns don't shoot, there are enough gun returns of working guns to make it work. the last one I read about women were bringing in their mates guns so they could buy food for the kids.

what solutions are there? we can't do nothing.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:47 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Nope I am not. There may have been concealed carry people on site, however if they were armed, it was illegal for them to go in. It is a gun free zone. If they go in and kill the shooter, they are subject to arrest for violating the gun free zone.

Yes there was a shooter in a gun range. How many times can you cite that happening? How many victims were there before he was put down? There are always exceptions to every rule.

freight seriously people have guns but won't get involved with a mass shooter because they don't want to be arrested? what good are they then? what good would guns on campus do if no one would use them.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
freight seriously people have guns but won't get involved with a mass shooter because they don't want to be arrested? what good are they then? what good would guns on campus do if no one would use them.
People get a CHL for their own protection. Anytime you go into a shooting situation, you run the risk of you yourself being shot and killed. Furthermore to add insult to injury, if you are successful, you can be arrested and charged with a felony and some states would actually do it. Myself, I am old enough that I wouldn't care. I would go in. That has to be an individual decision. That is why I support hiring armed guards that are professionals to protect these schools. That is why I do not support gun free zones.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
just because your daughter get an ok salary and have adequate supplies does not mean all school districts pay their teachers well and have the supplies they need. back in the day class size which was considered big a time was 22 students. now it is in the 30's for a lot of schools. we need more money spent on education then we do now. that goes without saying.

having armed guards at school or requiring teachers to be armed does not mean they could automatically save the day in case of a mass shooting, unless you want guards at every door and on every adult who works there. should we require that for our movie theaters as well? perhaps an easier answer is just locking the doors once school is in session for the day.

my point was too many people can't hold their tempers now and they don't carry weapons everywhere. I didn't mean a person with a gun goes on a road rage. we don't need masses of people who think they are out to save the world by making sure they are armed. I don't wanna see a lot of George Zimmermans or Charlie Bronson's running around. we have enough of that already.

even if some guns don't shoot, there are enough gun returns of working guns to make it work. the last one I read about women were bringing in their mates guns so they could buy food for the kids.

what solutions are there? we can't do nothing.
One of my daughters works in a very poor state and still makes an adequate salary.
Back in my day, a typical class in high school was 32-35 students. (Yes I am old)
Are armed guards a complete and total solution and will they be 100% successful? Probably not, but doing nothing is going to be 100% unsuccessful.
Again, do some research and find out how many wrongful death shooting were attributed to people holding a CHL. I can tell you the answer, but I don't want you to take my word for it.
George Zimmerman's only crime was stupidity.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:01 PM

572 posts, read 552,627 times
Quote:
not to get too far off topic - but $$ isn't necessarily the best answer for our schools -
we already spend a disproportionate amount on our students per capita - again, it seems to boil down to societal and/or cultural considerations

Study: US Education Spending Tops Global List

Quote:
Spending, of course, only tells part of the story and does not guarantee students' success. The United States routinely trails its rival countries in performances on international exams despite being among the heaviest spenders on education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies