Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 12:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Get on the phone and call the parents, if that didn't work then ignore the problem for the day

Oh my.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,362,327 times
Stupid kid
Stupid cop
The world is full of stupid people

Old 10-28-2015, 12:09 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post

Actually she can be 16. You don't have to be 18 to be a senior graduate. I have a November birthday and started school at age 4, graduated at age 17 (this time of year, October, I was 16). So it's extremely possible she's 16.

Most school districts require a child to be 5 years old by the beginning of school year for kindergarten enrollment. I doubt she is both 16 years old and a senior, one or the other but not both.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:11 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
He is ALLOWED to resort to physical force, isnt he?

This was warranted in my opinion.
The intelligent question isn't whether someone is "ALLOWED" to do something. It's whether doing that particular thing is wise, necessary, and/or professional.

As a middle school principal, I met with 24 other middle school principals once a month for 7 years. We would have discussed such incidents in our schools...but we never had to. I met less frequently with the principals of 24 high schools in our system, but again, even in the media-saturation of the D.C. suburbs, I never heard of an incident quite like this one. And yes, my school system had many gang members in some of the middle schools and high schools. And yes, there were arrests, but at least in my time there, they were handled professionally and without the dramatics of this situation.

I used to manage my school on the principle of LDAN -- the least drastic action necessary. I suspended kids, as needed. But would have been ALLOWED to suspend many, many more. But it wasn't necessary to accomplish the goal of a good learning environment. I could have recommended expulsion for many more students than I did, but it wasn't necessary in many cases to be that drastic. Same for in-school suspension. Just being ALLOWED to do something doesn't mean that it's necessary.

I don't have a problem with a degree of physical force being used in the situation under discussion. But I have a major problem with the degree of physical force that was being used. In everything I've read, the student didn't have a weapon; had she, I would say no problem with the police action that occurred.

Only bullies take things to extremes.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:11 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Sure every school building has spare empty classrooms just waiting for such situations …

uh huh
Gym. Lunch room. Assembly room. The library. The hallway in a worst case scenario. There are options (I went to a TINY elementary school and such room existed).

Old 10-28-2015, 12:12 PM

920 posts, read 931,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Officer was asked to remove her.

He asked her to leave. She declined.

Guess the teacher and AP could have hoisted her, desk and all. She might have injured them. They might have dropped her. They might have injured themselves. I do not think any teacher is prepared or required to physically remove a defiant student.

How would you have handled the power struggle?
Ludicrous. She would've gotten up and left when all the other students did.

Then they could've safely handled her. What she was doing was not illegal, there was no reason to notify the law to come and pretend it was. Then use that as an excuse to physically assault her.

He was FIRED For good Reason. He has no business being a COP

The FBI is now investigating him for the assault. It's about time we keep these violent thugs under control. Our schools don't need more of them

Old 10-28-2015, 12:15 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Then we have a SERIOUS problem with both our education system and police force if "disrupting class" is now an arrestable offense. Police shouldn't even be involved except for actual violent situations (eg, fights, weapons involved, etc). If we're going to arrest every single tween and teen for being disrespectful in class, we might as well convert the gymnasium into a miniature jail and have cops dual major in education and have them teach instead.

How about electing a student "police force" that has the authority when called by the administration to knock some sense into these hoodlums? Members of the football team would be a start. That would eliminate the "adults putting hands on children" defense.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:17 PM

168 posts, read 135,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I'm not saying she is a heroine. Far from it. She was being a brat. Just like millions of kids across Murica. We don't body SLAM brats in school . parents are not even allowed to bodyslam their own kids. That's not the society we live in.

Correct. We live in a society where kids murder. That's so much better than "body slamming" (he did not) a "little girl" (she is not).

Old 10-28-2015, 12:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
How about electing a student "police force" that has the authority when called by the administration to knock some sense into these hoodlums? Members of the football team would be a start. That would eliminate the "adults putting hands on children" defense.
So have students beat up other students???????

Old 10-28-2015, 12:19 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,440 times
I just read that the girl's mother and grandmother both died this year and she is in foster care. Yes her behavior was wrong, but she may be acting out as a result of the major changes in her life. That cop had no business putting his hands on her like that and I'm glad he was fired. She doesn't need anyone beating on her. She probably needs therapy if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies