Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 10:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Rather than rely on a 2013 opinion piece why not look at the figures.

october 2015..we're ahead by $64 billion

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/
The problem is not whether it was a success or not, the issue is you removed the penalty for failure. Have we just kicked the can down the road a little? If a company, bank or whatever is too big to fail it's too big to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 10:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Many of the protests are only asking for the same interest rates the mega-banks get. Why should students pay 7-8% interest when the Federal Reserve loans money to their favorite banks at much lower rates-who can then loan out and make more than 10x what is actually in reserves by charging exorbitant interest rates?
Actually the Fed PAYS the banks to take their money.

Forbes Welcome

Old 11-13-2015, 10:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The problem is not whether it was a success or not, the issue is you removed the penalty for failure. Have we just kicked the can down the road a little? If a company, bank or whatever is too big to fail it's too big to exist.
I don't disagree but my post was in response to the money amount.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're getting a pretty sweet deal. Average credit card interest is about 18%.

Average Credit Card Interest Rates (APR) - 2015
Anybody paying 18% interest has to be moron. There is only a few things you should be taking loans out for. House, business loan and education. Those are investments into the future, the latest Igadget isn't going to return anything to you. If you can't pay for it you can't afford it

Old 11-13-2015, 10:52 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I propose taxing all income, including all retained corporate earnings as corporations are now treated as legal citizens, from all sources, wage, inheritance, interest, dividends and even illegal (why should dope manufacturers, smugglers and distributers get away without paying taxes) income with a single deduction set at the 90th percentile of all income.

This would allow the majority of us to go about our business and not worry about taxes until we were already well off. This would also place the burden of paying for the cost of government on the very people and organizations that benefit most from the protection of civil law and, supposedly, our military presence in other countries protection their investments.

Note: I use percentile as it varies with inflation instead of being a fixed amount or percent.
No. I can take care of me with my money and not some over-bloated government entity with a vacuum attached to my back pocket.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
This girl should be embarrassed of herself. Better buckle down on those studies little girl, because so far your education is failing you.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Rather than rely on a 2013 opinion piece why not look at the figures.

october 2015..we're ahead by $64 billion

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/

LOL...just write off $1.2 trillion ?
Imagine the cost if that became reality ? Everyone and their brother would be going to college, the most expensive college at that.
From your link.....now note....this is your link.

Altogether, accounting for both the TARP and the Fannie and Freddie bailout, $617B has gone out the door—invested, loaned, or paid out—while $390B has been returned.

So, by your own link a little over half has been paid back and from the other links I've posted that is misleading. Paying back money with other money the Fed gives you is not exactly the way it is supposed to work, is it?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
From your link.....now note....this is your link.

Altogether, accounting for both the TARP and the Fannie and Freddie bailout, $617B has gone out the door—invested, loaned, or paid out—while $390B has been returned.

So, by your own link a little over half has been paid back and from the other links I've posted that is misleading. Paying back money with other money the Fed gives you is not exactly the way it is supposed to work, is it?
Still a loan, not a handout. That was my point.

And all of us do that with credit cards..spend the bank's money for the month and then pay it back.
That is called "playing the float".

Old 11-13-2015, 10:55 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If it had been a loan we would see the difference.

TARP: The bailout success story that wasn

They didn't.

TARP: The bailout success story that wasn

Quit lying to me. Can we just let the kids write the loans off?
No. And I was all for letting those businesses fail.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:55 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Anybody paying 18% interest has to be moron.
Well, yeah, but look at the million student march organizer in the video in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies