Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If we have an attack like Paris, do you still support your decision to allow Syrains to immigrate in
Yes, I still support my decision 28 25.23%
No, I would change my mind 3 2.70%
Neither, I don't support the decision to let Syrians immigrate 80 72.07%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I found it a few minutes ago, it would have been nice if people could have actually have read the bill before they offered an opinion.

Here's What the Syrian Refugees Bill Would Do
I posted the ENTIRE TEXT of the Bill several pages ago. It doesn't "block" anything. It doesn't "change" ANY of the Vetting procedure that Obama has put in place. No Religious Test, just a Security Verification.

The ONLY thing it does is to require a personal Certification from the FBI Director, Secretary of Homeland Security AND the Director of National Security that what Obama is claiming is true.
They just need to certify that the Refugee has been "vetted" and is a Refugee with NO ties to Terrorism or ISIS.

That should be no problem to any of them - IF it is true.
The Leftist Hysteria and Obama VETO hysteria is ridiculous UNLESS the fear is that Obama has LIED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
So let's say we let the new wave of Syrian immigrants in. We do the background checks and screening to the best of our ability and these people settle into various places around the country.
Then we have an attack, similar to what happened in Paris, hundreds dead. We can trace the perpetrators back to the recent immigrants with certainty.

In hindsight do you regret your support for the immigration or does your position remain unchanged?
Is this an acceptable consequence of this decision?
Well the Somalis are a good example of what will happen. They will move here, then 100s will go back home and fight with terrorist

Old 11-20-2015, 05:46 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I posted the ENTIRE TEXT of the Bill several pages ago. It doesn't "block" anything. It doesn't "change" ANY of the Vetting procedure that Obama has put in place. No Religious Test, just a Security Verification.

The ONLY thing it does is to require a personal Certification from the FBI Director, Secretary of Homeland Security AND the Director of National Security that what Obama is claiming is true.
They just need to certify that the Refugee has been "vetted" and is a Refugee with NO ties to Terrorism or ISIS.

That should be no problem to any of them - IF it is true.
The Leftist Hysteria and Obama VETO hysteria is ridiculous UNLESS the fear is that Obama has LIED.

Tis will effectively stop any Syrian refugees from coming to the US and create significant administrate burdens. The vetting process already takes 19-24 months and 90% of the refugees are eliminated during the process. The bill asks the FBI director and AG to personally guarantee each refugee, that is absurd especially in a country where we have no presence.

This is nothing less than right wing demagogery playing to their audience, unfortunately some democrats went along for the ride, it would have been nice for them to show some courage rather than go along with the hysterics.

While other countries are doing what they can to help these people - (800,000 in Germany) we are placing hurdles in their way, when did we get so scared.

By the way there were over 20 Million visitors from countries around the world last year under the Visa Waiver Program, are we going to ask the FBI Director and AG to certify each person? Now why do you suppose that congress is just selectively picking just one element to scrutinize.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The GOP just passed a bill in the House that demands additional vetting by the FBI. Obama has already said he plans to veto it.
I wonder if Obama will still veto that bill demanding additional vetting now.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:01 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I wonder if Obama will still veto that bill demanding additional vetting now.
The bill in question would sharply tighten screening of refugees, which House Speaker Paul Ryan admitted would "effectively puts a pause in the program" for more than six months. That's not just vetting, that's putting the kibosh on refugees.

The Obama administration said that all refugees already "undergo the most rigorous and thorough security screening of anyone." The bigger worry is a program that allows visa-free entry to the U.S. for citizens of several dozen countries, including much of Europe.

Obama may never get to veto this bill, since it hasn't passed the Senate.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:26 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Even if the bill does make the vetting process more stringent, I don't understand why Obama and the dems are against taking such precautions to protect Americans, in view of current events.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:37 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I'm not missing the point of anything - I'm pointing out the Brilliance of H.R. 4038 known as the SAFE ACT.

We KNOW that the FBI, Homeland Security & Director of National Intelligence have already testified to Congressional Committees that they don't have access to records to do an Intelligence/Safety inspection/review/Vetting. Most people pay zero attention to Testimony in the (never ending) Congressional Hearings - this Bill will require 3 Men to Certify these Refugees are exactly what they say they are. It's also requires monthly reports of who does/who does not get Refugee status (which Homeland Security already does on the "who does". It requires an Inspector General report that essentially hold these 3 men accountable to make sure they are not Rubber Stamping Entries.

Would YOU sign such a Certification if YOU could not "verify"?
I wouldn't, and neither will they. They will only Certify (and it takes all 3) when they can Verify.
This Bill will hold ALL of them to their word .... a simple 4 page Bill.
It's exactly why Obama and the Democrats are Hysterical about it.
There you have it, in the last 4 lines. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
The primary function of the federal government is relatively simple:

To provide for the common defense of its citizens.

I'd be very happy if that basic provision remained our essential objective.

"If you are under 30 and not a liberal, you have no heart; If you are over 30 and not a conservative, you have no brain".
- Attributed to Sir Winston Churchill

In Colorado, our governor is welcoming all refugees with open arms. We'll see how that works out for us. Maybe they'll just get stoned, eat Doritos and watch reruns of The Flintstones all day. It appears that it is better to be PC and have a few people killed here and there than be called "racist".
Isn't that exactly what happened with the neighbor in CA and the 'if-you-see-something-say-something'
conundrum. She didn't say anything because she didn't want to be called 'racist'. That's what the liberal p.c. insanity has wrought (at least in this situation).

Old 12-18-2015, 04:10 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
some people never learn...
I voted for Obama, in his first term, b/c I was sick and tired of the Bush antics...and what he did by taking us to war in Iraq, and then moving the whole thing to Afghanistan, getting our young men and women killed and mamed....and then do nothing, but nothing for the vets. How pathetic is our country.
I was hungry for Change, which Obama promised, and we sure did get change...look at what he has done to our country...good God...and worse, people still back him, b/c they voted for him and are afraid to admit mistake....

And now this....human beings are their own worst enemy and they never learn.

Do you know they are actually teaching Islam in Colleges, to get our children to sympathize with them?
This whole thing could be their Trojan Horse...and yet, there are still bleeding hearts in this pathetic situation.

I respect you because you can admit you were wrong, the people I do not respect are those who realize they did make a mistake but cannot admit it for their life.

I too have friends and family members yes who voted for Obama once or twice, and believe me not very happy with the change they witness in any way, the guys feel they have been had. I respect anyone who can admit when they are wrong, too bad, some deep in the heart know they have made mistakes but simply have to much pride to admit it,. and that is sad. Your right most educated people we know, feel this Country is getting the worse kind of change and they are not happy with this note I did say educated!

Old 12-18-2015, 04:19 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Can't say I would agree. After knowing a S.B. police office, well my husband's friend. And having had two people he knew one man and one woman killed in that awful mess in S.B. too close too home and too close for comfort. I have seen and witness, what the aftermath has caused, to some who live and have businesses in S.B. and this is there reality now everyday. We have friends who own businesses and live in Highland S.B.

I see even for my husband just knowing these two people what this has done to him, and he is not even a family member. So I can just imagine for the families who lost loved ones, how they feel right now, and so close to Christmas or what holiday they celebrate.

Guarantee this vetting process will work! and no one will be able to do this, no matter what garbage they feed us. That is impossible. And using Obama's words, they won't even be CONTAINED!

Old 12-18-2015, 04:52 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Can't say I would agree. After knowing a S.B. police office, well my husband's friend. And having had two people he knew one man and one woman killed in that awful mess in S.B. too close too home and too close for comfort. I have seen and witness, what the aftermath has caused, to some who live and have businesses in S.B. and this is there reality now everyday. We have friends who own businesses and live in Highland S.B.

I see even for my husband just knowing these two people what this has done to him, and he is not even a family member. So I can just imagine for the families who lost loved ones, how they feel right now, and so close to Christmas or what holiday they celebrate.

Guarantee this vetting process will work! and no one will be able to do this, no matter what garbage they feed us. That is impossible. And using Obama's words, they won't even be CONTAINED!
There are no guarantees in life, there is also no history of Syrian refugees attacking anyone.

They are coming here as planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies