Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:32 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,945,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Did you miss my post? We need to institute mandatory gun safety training for all Americans, starting in preschool and continuing to age 21.

This woman violated a very basic gun safety rule: Be Sure Of Your Target. A simple training regimen would probably have prevented the tragedy.
Yes this event is NOT an example of an accident and the dangers of gun ownership, it's an example of outright negligence and the dangers of not being properly trained. I would go as far as to call it criminally negligent manslaughter.
Some anti-gun rhetoric is self-prophesizing, as some cities and states regulations on gun ownership also have the result of discouraging the proper training of firearms.
Maybe not mandatory, but encourage gun training, make it mainstream and socially acceptable - like a PE class in high school, at wallmart, in the malls (not INSIDE the malls or wallmart obviously) in safe and controlled environments with proper licensed instructers, make it friendly and easily available to people. Even in gun friendly states - training is not generally advertised except in specific firearms publications, you have to search for it, you have to go to dusty warehouses in bad areas of town. Make it mainstream! I imagine the anti-gun crowd would attempt to boycott a wallmart or a mainstream department store or mall that dares to attempt holding classes for gun training - once again, their agenda is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:32 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,423,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Assuming this was an accident.... Had the daughter turned on the light she would be alive now. .Wouldn't she ??? Knowing mom had a gun which is smarter??Turn on light? Walk in dark? I am not against the a home owner shooting an intruder. But I do think they have a responsibility to determine it is an intruder BEFORE shooting.
Had the mom had a flashlight her daughter would still be alive today. Identify your targets before shooting!

Mom was negligent and I am all for charges.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 AM

35,780 posts, read 21,156,458 times
you are wrong about not investigation -- internal affairs has to investigate because he is a cop -- I guess till is? on either case- they have to come up with something even if kept quiet

Old 01-05-2016, 10:43 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,565,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I readily concede there are some instances where having a gun saves lives - but in aggregate the opposite is demonstrably true. Far less likely to happen in London or Marseilles or Tokyo or Dusseldorf or Adelaide. The great paradox is time and again many Americans insist on doubling down on firearms.

Florida mom shoots daughter thinking she was intruder - CNN.com

Because the fault lies with the mom who didn't follow ANY gun safety practices.
Yet so many want to look to the inanimate object for blame instead.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,017,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you are wrong about not investigation -- internal affairs has to investigate because he is a cop -- I guess till is? on either case- they have to come up with something even if kept quiet
Oh yes, there will be an investigation for sure. Which everyone here knows will end with "everything checks out, it was an accident. No charges".

Old 01-05-2016, 12:13 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,585,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
And, in your opinion, what are those instances?

Incidentally,there are thousands of car accidents every day, (and people are killed) however, I don't see anyone giving up their cars because of it.
What kind of empty-brain tenuous comparison is that? Cars get people from A to B, that's what they are designed for. They do it well. As a side-effect, some people have accidents. But that doesn't outweigh their massive practical use and benefits to society.

Guns are designed to kill. When someone gets killed by a gun, that means the gun worked for its purpose - to kill. That's its "benefit" to society. Killing.

jeeze Louise the dialog is getting more idiotic by the day.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:37 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,228,986 times
[quote=bg7;42517983]

Guns are designed to kill. When someone gets killed by a gun, that means the gun worked for its purpose - to kill. That's its "benefit" to society. Killing.
quote]
The gun was laying there doing nothing until the stupid woman picked it up and fired it.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:13 PM

37,973 posts, read 17,928,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I readily concede there are some instances where having a gun saves lives - but in aggregate the opposite is demonstrably true. Far less likely to happen in London or Marseilles or Tokyo or Dusseldorf or Adelaide. The great paradox is time and again many Americans insist on doubling down on firearms.

Florida mom shoots daughter thinking she was intruder - CNN.com
MANY instances where guns save lives. The great paradox is why you have to lie about it.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:34 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
MANY instances where guns save lives. The great paradox is why you have to lie about it.

And there are many more cases than that of guns killing someone who was not harming anyone. Usually suicides, but plenty of accidents and homicides. This is America after all. In 2014, the numbers have stayed steady compared to previous years:

51,776 total gun incidents
12, 575 deaths
23,040 injuries
1,601 accidental shootings
628 kids aged 0-11 killed or injured
2,371 teens Killed or injured
3,214 incidents involving a police officer
2,610 home invasions
281 mass shootings
1,582 defensive shootings

Remember the old saying, peeps:

IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL SHOOT THEIR KIDS BY ACCIDENT.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,956,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No, the other poster is correct. "Some" is a much better descriptor. And... am I hearing correctly? Was the daughter not also armed? Is that correct or not? How well did that work for her? Guns work as defensive weapons in the same way that an artists paintbrush can be used to paint a house. There are better tools. You want to defend yourself against intruders? Get a dog. A dog would not kill its owners daughter, assuming a normal mother/daughter relationship. Any gun worth the money is going to cost in the neighborhood of five large. A dog can cost as little as only what it costs to spay or neuter it, if that. There is food as a consumable but I have to think that dog food compares favorably pricewise with gun training, ammo and licensing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies