Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 02:58 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
America's love affair with guns is the weirdest, most disturbing thing about that country.

Your belief that people should be sitting ducks is, frankly, misanthropic.

People have a right to life. That means that they have a right to defend themselves. That means that they have a right to possess the means of self-defense.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,276,310 times
So living in fear from watcvhing Faux TV and has you living in fear 24/7/365..YOUR Life SUCKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I live alone and all my family has keys... but as I had teens who sneaked out the windows - I know to ASK who is there?? and by the way, all my kids know I pack so- mine be smart enough not be to sneaking in with out letting me know-- I always ask-- when you coming- home I don't want to shoot you--
Where was the hubby? how this gal not know parents are LEOS guns is normal in that house.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:27 PM

3,508 posts, read 767,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I wonder if this made her finally GET RID OF THIER STUPID GUNS!!!!!!!!!!

I think I know the answer
she obviously is not a member of this forum or she would not have had a gun to begin with ...

Old 01-03-2016, 04:07 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

People have a right to life. That means that they have a right to defend themselves. That means that they have a right to possess the means of self-defense.
So should the daughter have returned fire? Maybe shot her mother or father as well?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:27 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
So living in fear from watcvhing Faux TV and has you living in fear 24/7/365..YOUR Life SUCKS!

not me -wrong poster?? I sleep well and live near D-Town in my city... no FAUX
I said my kids know to tell me if they coming home late-- and now they grown- they would call in advance if for some reason have to come to my house in the middle of the night- as they don't live with me any more. This woman took sleeping meds or something-- and again where was the LEO -HUBBY?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

That also means they should have some responsibility. Not leaving guns around so that a 2 year old can shoot themselves or someone else.

Not just shoot in the dark because you hear a noise when you know your adult child is visiting you for the holidays and is out for the evening.

With rights come responsibilities.

To you use your logic when someone drives up on the sidewalk and mows down several people "well they were a licensed driver".

Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I readily concede there are some instances where having a gun saves lives - but in aggregate the opposite is demonstrably true. Far less likely to happen in London or Marseilles or Tokyo or Dusseldorf or Adelaide. The great paradox is time and again many Americans insist on doubling down on firearms.

Florida mom shoots daughter thinking she was intruder - CNN.com

Wrong.

There are many such instances, and your "aggregate" is a fable because, for one thing, when intruders are chased off by homeowners, it's not a story.

And, quite frankly, I don't give a fig about the U.K. Unlike George Harrison's wife, we won't be relying on delivering a good thud with a heavy object like she did when thugs broke into their home 20 years ago.

Our guns are here to stay. Get used to it.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Seriously??? How did you teach your kids to come in when it's late, to yell "WE'RE HOME!!!!!"? Please. Parents know that their kids can show up at any time. It's basically a part of being a parent. My brother lives in the same town as my parents, I live 20 minutes away. Both my brother & I show up at my parents house all the time. Being parents, they know this is a common occurrence of children. Not once have they ever felt the need to start shooting. How absolutely absurd & ridiculous.
I happened to live in the country while raising my kids.......I always knew what time they would be showing up, they had curfew. If my 27 yr old was to be home late, I would have asked for a time so I would be aware of her arrival. I never suggested the plan was to start shooting......is it normal for you to show up unannounced at 1:00 a.m.?

My kids were not quiet upon their arrival home, I didn't expect this. For the most part, I didn't sleep until they arrived home.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
And, in your opinion, what are those instances?

Incidentally,there are thousands of car accidents every day, (and people are killed) however, I don't see anyone giving up their cars because of it.
Lots of people die in car accidents because a friend or family member is drunk, goes off the road or runs into another car. Trains, planes and buses wreck and people die...time to be rid of those pesky things as well, right?

I don' get the point of the OP.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:55 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,025,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Wrong.

There are many such instances, and your "aggregate" is a fable because, for one thing, when intruders are chased off by homeowners, it's not a story.

And, quite frankly, I don't give a fig about the U.K. Unlike George Harrison's wife, we won't be relying on delivering a good thud with a heavy object like she did when thugs broke into their home 20 years ago.

Our guns are here to stay. Get used to it.
It's not just the UK, the US is the outlier, no other developed country has such levels of deaths by gun. On a micro level guns might sometimes make one safer - but on a macro level (see the US) the opposite is clearly true. 'Our guns are here to stay' - fine - but you can't have it both ways. Next time there's a mass shooting or an accidental killing, let's have no more hand wringing or vigils or candles or prayers - all can walk stoically into the sun. To do otherwise is a damn embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies