Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:55 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,025,340 times

Advertisements

Though I'm all for stricter gun laws, one concession I'll make to the rabid guns at all costs contingent is that comparisons with other developed countries maybe aren't altogether fair. It's arguably more appropriate to compare the US with other American countries - e.g. Mexico, Colombia, Brazil etc.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:01 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,809 times
What if the parents were Russian spies, and the daughter found out? What if Putin ordered them to kill her to keep her quiet? But he ran out of polonium so they had to use a gun? Thinking she was an intruder would be a perfect excuse.

Of course that's not very likely. But it's one of a million possible explanations for what happened. Each of them unlikely, but their probabilities add up, to a good chance something like that happened. Maybe the daughter caught the mother in an affair and was going to tell the father. A million possibilities, all unlikely, some more unlikely than others, but all adding up to make it worthwhile to investigate carefully, if only FL had any competent investigators.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:22 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,634,435 times
So we're up to... what... 26 pages of handwringing and gnashing our teeth, and emotional outbursts about how "we've got to do something about this," but.... mmmm... has anyone actually gotten around to making any concrete proposals on what exactly we ought to be doing?

Don't get me wrong, This is a horrible and entirely preventable tragedy, completely inexcusable at best and (at worst) quite possibly criminal (c'mon... the husband calls to report that their daughter may be having a problem with her pacemaker, without thinking to mention that his wife has blown a hole in her head?), and as a gunowner I am shocked, sickened, and disgusted that the possible criminal who shot her is getting an apparent free pass, but let's move past the easy stuff. We can all agree that this was a horrible event. But for the anti-gun crowd, let's see you do the hard part - suggest a fix that addresses the hard part of this.

Come on. Whaddya got?

Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 AM

336 posts, read 378,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
So we're up to... what... 26 pages of handwringing and gnashing our teeth, and emotional outbursts about how "we've got to do something about this," but.... mmmm... has anyone actually gotten around to making any concrete proposals on what exactly we ought to be doing?

Don't get me wrong, This is a horrible and entirely preventable tragedy, completely inexcusable at best and (at worst) quite possibly criminal (c'mon... the husband calls to report that their daughter may be having a problem with her pacemaker, without thinking to mention that his wife has blown a hole in her head?), and as a gunowner I am shocked, sickened, and disgusted that the possible criminal who shot her is getting an apparent free pass, but let's move past the easy stuff. We can all agree that this was a horrible event. But for the anti-gun crowd, let's see you do the hard part - suggest a fix that addresses the hard part of this.

Come on. Whaddya got?
Well, the obvious first step is to enforce the laws on the books (i.e., put this criminal in jail), to show others that shooting first and asking questions later is unacceptable. We've got to put an end to the "oh this person has suffered enough so let's not prosecute" mentality, especially when it comes to gun-based violence. People must know that they will be held accountable for their actions.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

Come on. Whaddya got?
For one, stop the fetishization of firearms. Stop the "OMG, the crime! I must be armed!" alarmism. Crime in the United States is at a 50-year low, yet the fanners of the flames would have us all believe that we're barely holding back the criminal hordes. Stop the "Personal firearms deterred millions and millions of crimes last year!" John Lott-isms that hold that if fewer of our populace was locked and loaded and ready to start spraying rounds at the next sound in the dark, we'd be absolutely awash in crime (as opposed to, you know, experiencing what the non-fetishizing developed countries experience - which is a lot less carnage).

A large part of this is cultural. People just know they are criminals lurking behind every bush and in every shadow. And so they stock up on the weaponry because they just know that a Glock under the pillow makes them safer. And this personal disinformation is partly the result of another aspect of society that hates information and hates the scientific study of data, the know-nothingism and the virulent distrust of information. By God, no number of dead kids is ever going to convince them that keeping loaded firearms handy at all times isn't a good thing ('cause those stats are just a leftist plot, anyway). Because they never see themselves as firearms amateurs, which they are - they're all 'responsible gun owners' ready to show a bad guy a thing or two. But in the real world, they're more likely to put a round through their foot, or attend a child's funeral wishing they hadn't walked away and left the loaded shotgun on the kitchen table, or having to explain how they shot their spouse while 'cleaning' (which sounds better than admitting they were practicing their Dirty Harry quick-draw) their weapon.

Critical thinking. Rational decision-making. That's would be a start, and it would go a long way.

I won't be holding my breath.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'd rather be hacked to death than shoot my own kid.
What? I was prepared to shoot the "person" who was trying to break into my house. I'd rather be hacked to death than watch someone kill my kid. They, there two of them, probably just wanted to steal some things to fence. My husband was away on business, my car was in the garage, and they may have thought the house was empty. I wasn't taking any chances.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
And here we go, on a local, micro level having a gun might make you safer, but on a macro level (see the US), you're generally in a far more dangerous situation.
Actually, on both levels it's a damn poor idea.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:01 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What? I was prepared to shoot the "person" who was trying to break into my house. I'd rather be hacked to death than watch someone kill my kid. They, there two of them, probably just wanted to steal some things to fence. My husband was away on business, my car was in the garage, and they may have thought the house was empty. I wasn't taking any chances.
Someone has been watching too much TV.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:10 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Seems people want to just run past this part! Easier to blame the mom for having a gun.

I am not sure why people would want their children to be quiet or not call before entering a home of their parents in the first place........does sleeping play this much of an importance than knowing when your children will be arriving at odd hours.
"Easier to blame the mom for having a gun"? NO, the mom is to blame for shooting first and asking questions later.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
Well, the obvious first step is to enforce the laws on the books (i.e., put this criminal in jail), to show others that shooting first and asking questions later is unacceptable. We've got to put an end to the "oh this person has suffered enough so let's not prosecute" mentality, especially when it comes to gun-based violence. People must know that they will be held accountable for their actions.
that's just dandy except for one little thing; harsh punishments as a deterrence have almost no effect on the crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies