Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:38 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times

Advertisements

I just saw Michael Moore's new film "Where To Invade Next". He mentions that we spend 60% of our budget on the military but that's where the military angle ends. Most of the film was about the life style that the Europeans have gotten used to. A life style that ended for us back in 1980.

Even though Bernie Sanders is not mentioned in the film once, the film is a two hour ad for his platform. The Italians get two weeks off from work when they get married, by law. Their lunch hours are two hours long and they go home for their meals. The Germans get three weeks at a spa at employer expense if their doctor says that they are stressed out. There was a guy from Colorado who went to live in Slovenia for their free education system. Scandinavians speak more than one language and their school day is shorter than ours. French school children have meals every day that the average New Yorker would pay $50 for.
All Europeans get at least 20 vacation days a year by law.

We are doing something wrong and y'all had better wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 05:42 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
I'll never watch his movie. I refuse to add to his wealth in any way.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I'll never watch his movie. I refuse to add to his wealth in any way.
Don't ever change.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:47 PM

862 posts, read 520,037 times
So go move there if everywhere else is so much better.

Jesus tap dancing christ, America doesn't have to be like everywhere else.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:48 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I just saw Michael Moore's new film "Where To Invade Next". He mentions that we spend 60% of our budget on the military but that's where the military angle ends. Most of the film was about the life style that the Europeans have gotten used to. A life style that ended for us back in 1980.

Even though Bernie Sanders is not mentioned in the film once, the film is a two hour ad for his platform. The Italians get two weeks off from work when they get married, by law. Their lunch hours are two hours long and they go home for their meals. The Germans get three weeks at a spa at employer expense if their doctor says that they are stressed out. There was a guy from Colorado who went to live in Slovenia for their free education system. Scandinavians speak more than one language and their school day is shorter than ours. French school children have meals every day that the average New Yorker would pay $50 for.
All Europeans get at least 20 vacation days a year by law.

We are doing something wrong and y'all had better wake up.

Who are you referring to when you say "we"?

"free" education? How is that possible? Are the teachers/professors teaching out of the goodness of their hearts and not getting paid?

Is something preventing people from learning a second language?

You think it's ok for government to force you to pay your employee for two weeks of non-working just because they got married?? Are you really saying you think this is ok?

America is land of the FREE.
not Land of the FREE STUFF.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:03 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,001,992 times
If you want all of your earned income to go to the government so they can dole it out as they see fit...vote for Bernie. That's what his whole platform is about. Take everyone's money, and let the government decide who would best benefit from it.

Personally, I will WORK MY BUTT OFF FOR MYSELF...but not for anyone else. I would expect most working folks feel the same way.

Nothing....NOTHING is "free"...ever! If you don't pay for it..someone else has to. Is that what you want?

So you get your "free" education....and you get a job....and give your freaking earnings to the government....is THAT what you envision?

THINK, people...THINK!!!!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Who are you referring to when you say "we"?

"free" education? How is that possible? Are the teachers/professors teaching out of the goodness of their hearts and not getting paid?

Is something preventing people from learning a second language?

You think it's ok for government to force you to pay your employee for two weeks of non-working just because they got married?? Are you really saying you think this is ok?

America is land of the FREE.
not Land of the FREE STUFF.
OK YOU.
The average Italian lives four years longer than the average American.
Thank YOU for defending a system that works some of us to death and then throws the rest away at 50 years old.

Thank YOU for supporting a military budget that out spends the next six countries combined.

I'm at the end of my career. I've survived. I hope that YOU have thirty years to go, so that YOU know how your bosses don't give a damn that you were a good Republican when they lay you off after you've started going grey.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:08 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,856,324 times
Free, free, free. free, free. Everything is freeeeeeeeee! Yipeeee!

Do these people ever think that somebody (cough cough cough) is paying for it!

Also, do they ever compare populations or just feel that since one country can give away free chit, we can too. Even if one of those country's (US) has a population of about 320 million people. Yep, lets compare it to Norway (5 million), Sweden (9 million), or Denmark another 5,6 million or so. Yep, we can sure give away the same things as them.

Other country's compared to, France (65 million), Italy (60 million), Germany (80 million). Oh heres a good one that was brought up! Slovenia with it's huge population of 2 million people. We have several cities alone which have more then that!

Think people! Think! Think! Thiiiiiiiiink!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
OK YOU.
What on earth does that mean?

Quote:

The average Italian lives four years longer than the average American.
Thank YOU for defending a system that works some of us to death and then throws the rest away at 50 years old.

Thank YOU for supporting a military budget that out spends the next six countries combined.

I'm at the end of my career. I've survived. I hope that YOU have thirty years to go, so that YOU know how your bosses don't give a damn that you were a good Republican when they lay you off after you've started going grey.
Your bitterness seems to be affecting your ability to have a conversation.

Your assumption that I support our current military budget is incorrect. Where are you getting this stuff from? You just ASSUME I am a republican? I'm not. I'm not a democrat either. Or an independent. I don't wear a label. Period.

Assuming things leads to assumptions.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:12 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,092,794 times
I wonder how many lies Moore told in this one.

Surely America has its faults, as does every country. Why focus on Italy with its 27th ranked Human Development Index rating and an honorary member of the PIIGS? Yes, the US is at its lowest point, but still ranked 8th. France 22nd, Slovenia 25. More people move here than there.

We can learn from them and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies