Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Same with black US. Marshals, and the reason Unions were made to keep blacks out. A racist federal government, called progressive democrat.
Yeah...let's just forget about Southern Democrat Conservatives.

Well, you forget. I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Very seldom is the whip used during a race.
The jockeys that do use the whip, are not the jockeys riding very often.

A whip may be used during training, but during a race, the whip is usually flashed/waved in front of the horses head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Beating horses with a whip so they can run in a circle would top my list of beefs with the Derby but whatever floats your boat.
Meh, nothing compared to cutting the throats of the unwanted nurse mare foals that are produced and sent to slaughter just so high dollar thoroughbreds don't lose time on the track nursing their own offspring.

Go Kentucky derby.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:21 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...let's just forget about Southern Democrat Conservatives.

Well, you forget. I won't.
But Woodrow Wilson was progressive. And southern. And one of the most racist presidents in history.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I live in Louisville. Not being a homer but it IS the most prestigious race in the world. Everyone should visit the derby museum. It brings tears to your eyes.

Let them protest. We don't care.

As an aside... The first jockey to win on Aristides was black
and it is an American as Apple Pie. I have been a lover of the Derby since I was probably 10 years old, almost 70 years ago. Never did it enter my mind someone could claim anything about it is racist? Leave it to an Ivy league school!!!

Old 04-11-2016, 03:17 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Meh, nothing compared to cutting the throats of the unwanted nurse mare foals that are produced and sent to slaughter just so high dollar thoroughbreds don't lose time on the track nursing their own offspring.
No broodmare goes back to the track. They have been retired or they would not have been bred.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:57 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The Fox news story didn't have the whole story, how unusual:

"...In the years following the Civil War, black jockeys dominated horse racing at a time when it was America’s most popular sport. African-American riders were the first black sports superstars in the United States, and they won 15 of the first 28 runnings of the Kentucky Derby.

...The rising tide of institutional racism that swept across Gilded Age America finally seeped into the world of horse racing. Jim Crow was on the ascent, and the U.S. Supreme Court itself blessed segregation in the 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson decision. Emboldened by the societal changes, resentful white jockeys at northern raceways conspired to force blacks off the track, in some cases literally. During the 1900 racing season, white jockeys in New York warned trainers and owners not to mount any black riders if they expected to win. They carried out their threats by boxing in black jockeys and riding them into—and sometimes over—the rails.

...By 1904, black riders had been virtually banned from the major racetracks, including Churchill Downs, and the complexion of the Kentucky Derby had been changed forever. Black participation dwindled, and no African-American rode the race between 1921 and 2000, when Marlon St. Julien guided Curule to a seventh-place finish.

Barred from the United States, African-American jockeys took their talents to Europe. ..."

The Kentucky Derby

I'd like to visit the Derby museum. The protesters did their homework, I'm sortof surprised Tré Goins-Phillips didn't research this story better - the way he reported the Kentucky Derby's history is misleading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
But I thought only the South was racist!
Apparently you & Tré Goins-Phillips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover
I think some of these protesters are just pissed they weren't invited to party.
Maybe so, how would I know. Although one thing is most likely certain, they weren't misled by shoddy journalism.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:59 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Apparently you & Tré Goins-Phillips.

Maybe so, how would I know. Although one thing is most likely certain, they weren't misled by shoddy journalism.
Great... The derby started in 1875. 30 years before any ban which was fought against.

People and their crusades and the lackeys who support them.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
So an event is canceled because "some students" allege...

We're turning into a nation of pansies.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:11 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
First of all, you're talking to the wrong guy...I'm not against this sorority at all. Frankly, i'm disappointed that they capitulated to politically correct nonsense.

My point is that i don't wanna hear about the great old days of black jockeys in horseracing and how blacks shouldn't be offended by how racist the sport has been historically when they basically excluded black folks for a century.

As for baseball, i give NO credence to the sport before 1947. None. It doesn't even exist to me until Jackie Robinson showed up.

The SuperBowl? The NFL was an integrated league by the time the SuperBowl came around.
Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like I was picking at you....they were just some of my general thoughts with regards to the thread all wrapped up in one post. That's on me.

I'm just tired of people just looking for the worst in each other.

Oh well, wth can I expect it's a presidential election year and the crazies switch it into high gear.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
I wish people would stop giving the (B)owe(L) (M)ovement idiots credibility for their rank lunacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies