Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
IMO, not having your children vaccinated is negligence. They endanger their children's lives and the lives of others. If parents refuse to have their children vaccinated, so be it, but that entire family should be required to remain quarantined. They live in a society, it is not just them anymore.
quarantined? why? if vaccines work as advertised, vaccinated people should have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ah, Suzy, why should I want others to protect Elderly me from things like measles, mumps., etc. when I have immunity not from vaccinations, but from the diseases? I am not a walking unvaccinated "cesspool" for these diseases because my generation had them, have lifetime immunity, so cannot give them to anyone else. Do you seriously think I fear some unvaccinated child with Measles or Chicken Pox killing Elderly Unvaccinated me? ROFL Since you are about my age, I am sure you have gotten all these vaccinations for these you yourself, including for those diseases you had as a child before the vaccine ever was invented? That would not surprise me at all.Have you demanded your HPV vaccination too being over 26 years old?

Again, YOUR people fear the unvaccinated, including those with naturally acquired immunity too. The ONLY path to immunity is from a vaccination. I would bet that your followers would also advocate all the people who got Measles from the Disney Outbreak should have learned their lesson and now go out and their MMR vaccination? Hey, Suzy, go ahead and say that is TRUE and should be done because vaccinations are the ONLY prevention.

I know you don't like we Seniors not pushing your program. Do not fit your "profile" of who Anti Vaxxers are. FYI, two weeks from Monday I am going with my daughter to take BOTH her 3 month old and 2 year old for their vaccinations. HER choice and not Granny's. It is also HER choice and MINE to not vaccinate our Adult selves for what you think we should have.
I really do not care about protecting you from anything. You will not get measles if you have had it. You can certainly get whooping cough, and you are, by virtue of your age, at higher risk of getting shingles or having serious complications from flu.

There is no reason for me to be vaccinated for vaccine preventable diseases I have already had. Why would I? What makes you even ask the question, unless you have not learned anything at all about vaccines in the many threads in which you have participated? I am not a candidate for the HPV vaccine. Why would I want to take it?

I have repeatedly told you that people who have had vaccine preventable diseases do not need to be vaccinated and that they contribute to herd immunity. They do not need to be vaccinated, with the exception of whooping cough, since you do not get permanent immunity from pertussis infection. I have never said that the only way to immunity is by way of vaccination. People who had measles during the Disney outbreak do not need to be vaccinated. It is too late; they've already been sick. Why would I advocate that they take measles vaccine?

It is true that vaccination is the ONLY prevention. To get "naturally acquired immunity" if you have to get sick. With vaccines you get to be immune without getting sick. That is the goal of vaccination: to keep people from getting sick.

I am happy that your grandchildren are being vaccinated. I just think it is sad that the "Adult selves" in their family are not willing to also be vaccinated to protect them until they are fully vaccinated.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
You're the one asking that straw man question, not anyone else here. C-D readers see for themselves Hilleman isn't making any "jokes" in this clip. Not about SV40, "monkey kidney virus," not about leukemia virus, or anything else.

You're a little rattled that people like Edward Shorter and his cohort are laughing hysterically at the news Merck's Hilleman imparts here.
It's a joke, mm. Dr, Hilleman was a noted jokester. There was no conspiracy to infect Americans with HIV in vaccines, and no one got cancer from SV40 (which was a good thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Why aren't docs found guilty for injecting Thermosol (Mercury), a known neurotoxin, into millions of babies?
There is no mercury in current children's vaccines. It was removed, not because it is dangerous but because it gave the anti-vax folks the heebie jeebies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
quarantined? why? if vaccines work as advertised, vaccinated people should have absolutely nothing to worry about.
The vaccine does not work for everyone, and people who are immune suppressed may get vaccine preventable diseases even if they have been vaccinated. In addition, babies too young to be vaccinated (though their parents planned for them to be) can get seriously ill.

An immunosupressed woman who had been vaccinated died from measles in Washington State last year.

I do believe that if you had read the thread before posting you would have found your answer. It has been posted here multiple times.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:13 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Suzy, if you have a source that proves your assertion with documentation that the boy was confirmed to have died from HIB specific bacterial meningitis then share it.

Remember that the experts don't even agree that the actual cause of death was due to meningitis. They both agree that he had meningitis, one stating bacterial and the other stating viral.

Last edited by MissTerri; 05-04-2016 at 07:21 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 08:01 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Honestly, I don't feel they should have been prosecuted. The boy had meningitis and the headline is misleading as his illness was not connected to a lack of vaccination. It was connected to a lack of immediate medical attention but they did take him when he got really ill so its not like they were completely lacking in medical care.

This would have been a difficult case for me to decide on the jury. I am a supporter of vaccination and I also support medical intervention when necessary, however, I also have on occassion waited to see if my kids would get better without taking them to the doctor/hospital. I've never seen bacterial meningitis and from what I have read, it can get serious very quickly and resemble a common flu/cold prior to taking a severe turn. I feel for the family in them losing their child and I don't think they should get jail time. On a side note, it is a good thing IMO that they found out that their internet doctoring and "natural" remedies are not the best ways all the time. For a baby that young, I would have taken him within a couple of days to the doctor as little babies (and IMO a 19 month old is a baby) are fragile and require medical attention if they don't get better soon. My youngest got the swine flu back in 2009 when she was only 10-11 months old and I knew immediately that she was suffering even though she didn't have the typical cold like symptoms. She just was slightly feverish and wouldn't move due to being sore/stiff. I took her the same day to pediatrician due to her being so young. Parents of babies younger than 2 years should really be attentive and seek medical care for their children if they are sick more than 2 days IMO and especially so with fevers/stiffness. But I think they will suffer enough in grieving their son and don't need jail time.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The organism that killed Ezekiel Stephan was probably hemophilus influenzae B, for which there is a vaccine. Since the vaccine was introduced, deaths from it have become quite rare. Had he been vaccinated, he probably would never have gotten sick at all. Yes, when you get down to it, it is a vaccine issue.

The parents persisted with their herbs and potions, which were obviously not working, for two and a half weeks. Their child was so stiff that they could not put him in his car seat in order to take him to the naturopath.
Upon reading the article, I too felt it may be HiB but I haven't seen anything to confirm that.

However, I will note that I think parents are idiotic who don't get the HIb vaccine for their babies. It was/is a SERIOUS disease that killed many babies.

I just don't understand why people are so against vaccination in the first place. I have elderly family members who remember when vaccines came out for certain illnesses and how their parents lined them up for "shots." The parents back then were happy to do it because kids were killed and seriously harmed, or just suffered for weeks with these diseases. Even if the kid recovered completely, why would any parent want their kid to get measles or HiB or even chicken pox. As a mother, I don't like to see my kids suffer with illnesses.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:52 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, I don't feel they should have been prosecuted. The boy had meningitis and the headline is misleading as his illness was not connected to a lack of vaccination. It was connected to a lack of immediate medical attention but they did take him when he got really ill so its not like they were completely lacking in medical care.

If they didn't vaccinate for N.Men, Hib, or StrP...then the meningitis WAS lack-of-vaccine related.

But that's not the point, though.

NO ONE. NO ONE should ever say, "I think it's just viral meningitis." NO ONE EVER. You do a tap and that is literally the only way to tell.
These people's ignorance and lack of respect for the diseases that used to ravage mankind stems from living in a clueless nicey-nice world that exists BECAUSE of vaccines.

And btw, not all viral meningitis is the same. Information is your friend.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If they didn't vaccinate for N.Men, Hib, or StrP...then the meningitis WAS lack-of-vaccine related.

But that's not the point, though.

NO ONE. NO ONE should ever say, "I think it's just viral meningitis." NO ONE EVER. You do a tap and that is literally the only way to tell.
These people's ignorance and lack of respect for the diseases that used to ravage mankind stems from living in a clueless nicey-nice world that exists BECAUSE of vaccines.

And btw, not all viral meningitis is the same. Information is your friend.

Reading is your friend as well. Review my post in its entirety. I specifically stated, I felt they should have taken the child in to a medical facility as soon as possible due to the age of the child/baby. Also in another response I noted I did think it was realted to Hib but it is not certain that this is what caused the baby's death. I do think if they would have taken the baby to the ER within 24 hours that he would still be alive but I also don't think that the lack of vaccination in particular is what caused his death. And I do feel that the death of a child is punishment enough.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Reading is your friend as well. Review my post in its entirety. I specifically stated, I felt they should have taken the child in to a medical facility as soon as possible due to the age of the child/baby. Also in another response I noted I did think it was realted to Hib but it is not certain that this is what caused the baby's death. I do think if they would have taken the baby to the ER within 24 hours that he would still be alive but I also don't think that the lack of vaccination in particular is what caused his death. And I do feel that the death of a child is punishment enough.

If he had Hib, how would skipping the Hib vaccine NOT have contributed to his death?

Btw, Miss Sensitivity, I was not addressing YOU with the "Info is your friend" comment. I meant having the info on the offending organism is your friend at battling it. Not all viruses are the same and we actually use antivirals for some.

By your crazy logic (and do feel free to take this personally), if my kid dies bc I beat and starve him, I shouldn't be punished...bc his death was enough punishment.
People fail to see that neglect is abuse.

These people should lose all their kids.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

If he had Hib, how would skipping the Hib vaccine NOT have contributed to his death?

Btw, Miss Sensitivity, I was not addressing YOU with the "Info is your friend" comment. I meant having the info on the offending organism is your friend at battling it. Not all viruses are the same and we actually use antivirals for some.

By your crazy logic (and do feel free to take this personally), if my kid dies bc I beat and starve him, I shouldn't be punished...bc his death was enough punishment.
People fail to see that neglect is abuse.

These people should lose all their kids.
LOL, I was just utilizing your own snark. I'm not sensitive in the least.

There is nothing that shows the child had Hib or any other vaccine preventable disease. My logic is pretty useful when reading a small amount of information where not much is provided in regards to the cause of death of the child.

Not getting a vaccine and beating your kids to injury is not the same thing.

FWIW, my youngest child was late on her Hib vaccine because there was a shortage of it at the time she was a baby. She got it 4-6 months late and I remember being worried because I actually do know about Hib. By your weirded out logic, if she had contracted it and died, I should be put in jail because she wasn't vaccinated. Interesting "logic" you have (PS, I don't get sensitive or offended by random internet people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies