Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:33 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,721,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
doing nothing is not a strategy. now THAT would be asinine

I remember as a youth, I got expelled from school. You know what my mom did? Nothing! She totally ignored me for about a week. It was like I did not even exist. That was probably the most profound thing that she ever did. I never acted up like that again. Had I just got the usually whoopin....it would have taken it and went back to my ways. However, my mothers silence.....doing nothing.....was the best thing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:33 AM

1,100 posts, read 635,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

On Libertarians, I have reviewed their platform and they do not mention (in the platform) anything about racial or ethnic issues as they relate to black Americans or any others.

I believe that they do not consider that a factor in our country and especially not so under a Libertarian lead government and I personally believe that that is indeed ignoring the issue, which is one of many reasons why I would never support a Libertarian platform.
Probably because to libertarians...everyone is equal.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:35 AM

35,742 posts, read 21,110,055 times
I rather the candidates passed some tests before running--- so we have something to vote for-- being vetted for security and financial etc. is done when? They should raise the BAR-- and not just for presidents - all of them!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 AM

1,100 posts, read 635,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
there is no strategy to not voting.

even if you vote for Mickey Mouse, at least you "said something".
I disagree - if the OP could actually rally support from the AA community and garner 90+% support to boycot the general election, it would make waves.

"Actions speak louder than words" come to mind. Unfortunately, it'll never happen - as regardless of race, majority of Americans are caught up in voting for an establishment party...and the AA community renders 70+% of their votes to the democratic party.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:38 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,721,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Why should I do the research for you?
If you are already a Libertarian, I would assume you would not have to do any research because you would already know the platform. If you want to spread the Gospel.....and you believe in it......you would shout it out for everyone to hear to bring them over to your "good news". Converts is what Libertarians need to gain power.....correct? So why are you not trying to covert people with information that would help them see the light?

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
With all do respect.....that is asinine. Sometimes you have to take a step back to make a leap forward. I read where a really smart man said that trying the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Its simple. The Democrat party needs the black vote to be viable nationally. If blacks abstained from voting, as a strategy, the Democrats would realize that they need offer a platform to blacks to get their support so that they can win.
Actually, no they don't. Go back to any time since 1963 that the Republicans won a presidential election--every time without the "black vote," and when Democrats won their victory was in excess of the "black vote."

Hmm. I know a young Millennial who happens to be a bona fide genius. He's also quite wise for his age, which doesn't always accompany great intelligence. He's not a Libertarian politically, but he joined the Libertarian party for the specific reason that it's small enough for him to get into a significant enough position to learn how the "political process" operates. If he'd joined either of the major parties, he'd be too much of a small fry and be relegated to foot-soldier duty. But he knew he could quickly get into an authoritative role in the local Libertarian party and get the game figured out...then decide what to do next from a better position of knowledge. Smart kid.

But I think it might be a strategy for black people to do to some current smaller (but firmly established) what Tea Party people did to the Republican Party.

5,281 posts, read 6,595,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On Libertarians, I have reviewed their platform and they do not mention (in the platform) anything about racial or ethnic issues as they relate to black Americans or any others.

I believe that they do not consider that a factor in our country and especially not so under a Libertarian lead government and I personally believe that that is indeed ignoring the issue, which is one of many reasons why I would never support a Libertarian platform.

Maybe Libertarians should address racial issues more, or at least give their take on racial issues. But since most Libertarians are white, they probably never had to. For the record, every party pretty much ignores racial issues in their platform, except democrats, who really are using racial issues for political gain. I don't think they care any more about racial issues than anybody else, but they're smart in that they pretend to care.

I don't think Libertarians are trying to fight racial issues, because racial issues is just a symptom of a large problem. The main issue is a glass ceiling that limits economic mobility for people of color. And Libertarians are trying to smash the glass ceiling. As long as the FED is around, there will always be issues especially with race. And legislation will only mask issues, but not fix anything.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Why should I do the research for you?
Well, that's kind of like a preacher saying, "There are bibles in the library, go read one."

Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,930,216 times
Quote:
Should African Americans ALWAYS ride in the front of the bus, standing up if we have to, even if there are seats available in the back? I say this because people died for us to ride in the front of the bus. I say that because people are always saying that we must vote because people died for us to have the right to vote. However, I do not see it that way. In either case, I view it as people died to give us THE CHOICE.

I hear a lot of talk from people about how the Democratic Party is not doing anything for African Americans anymore, yet, we always vote for them. Even crazier, I hear people rationalizing that blacks should vote for the Republican Party because the Democratic Party is doing nothing for us, as if the two party system is like an on and off switch for a light. Hence, if blacks vote democrat and it remains dark, then voting republican must be the switch to turn the light on. However, it could very well be that the bulb is blown for black people in America and that flicking the switch back and forth will not make a discernible difference.

That said, I think without a doubt that the political party that is most dependent upon black people is the party that blacks have the most potential leverage with. That would be the Democratic Party. However, if black people feel that they MUST vote and that the only viable option for them is the Democratic Party, because of what they have done in the past and the Republican not even pretending to offer us anything, then why should the Democratic Party buy the cow when it can get the milk for free?

I think abstaining from voting, as a political strategy, would force the Democratic Party to “buy the cow” so to speak. That can never happen if people are compelled to always vote…….because people died for us to have the right. Wrong! People died for us to have THE CHOICE to vote…..or not. If they passed a law that forced everyone to vote, would you feel free? No….you would not. Freedom is about CHOICE. I would not want to be forced to vote and I would not want to be denied the right to vote. I want the CHOICE to do as I see fit and black people voting simply because they feel they must keeps people from working to earn our votes.

What the democratic party is offering AA is keeping the republicans out, so instead of telling us what they will do for racial inequality and shrinking the gaps in poverty, unemployment, wealth, etc.....they just offer "Not being Republicans".....and the tell us that the Republican Party is out to get us....some of which is true....but its not a platform to help us get better, its just a platform to keep things from getting worse under republican control.
do you see yourself as black before American?

It seems to me that we ALL should be voting for the candidate who will protect America and its citizens, close the border to illegal immigration, look out for our interests only, and jumpstart the economy-- with small business creation and job growth.

Yes, you should always vote if you care.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,595,995 times
Quote:
If you are already a Libertarian, I would assume you would not have to do any research because you would already know the platform. If you want to spread the Gospel.....and you believe in it......you would shout it out for everyone to hear to bring them over to your "good news". Converts is what Libertarians need to gain power.....correct? So why are you not trying to covert people with information that would help them see the light?
Well I did explain the Libertarian position and you completely ignored it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies