Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:05 PM

404 posts, read 366,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Nobody said anything about entitlement or "deserve", it's not something given to the military because they deserve it... it's earned and it's compensation in return for work just like a paycheck. We sign a contract by choice and we earn(ed) our benefits just like any other employee does.
Apparently you didn't read the thread, this is what the person that I was responding to wrote:

Quote:
...if you're willing to put your life on the line to defend this country and its freedoms (that are dwindling daily) [then you] deserve said compensation.

You don't DESERVE anything for doing your job other than your paycheck and thats it, I could see medical thrown in there because a lot of places do that these days, everything else, get rid of it! My taxes shouldn't have to pay for these people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's a job, everyone takes a job for the benefits whether it's the pay, insurance, bonuses, company car, whatever. The Constitution protects your right to say what you want, that soldier halfway around the world (assuming he's a US soldier) has those very same rights.

Again, taken out of context...I said that because someone said that the military fights for my right to do ro say whatever. Of course they can say whatever as they are accorded the same rights as I am, but those rights come from the U.S. Constitution, not some guy fighting in Bosnia..

Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
I said that because someone said that the military fights for my right to do ro say whatever. Of course they can say whatever as they are accorded the same rights as I am, but those rights come from the U.S. Constitution, not some guy fighting in Bosnia..
Actually, I don't think military service people enjoy the same constitutional rights as you do.

This said, their willingness and preparedness to make the sacrifices is what prevented YOUR freedom from being threatened in the first place. In the same way that immunizations don’t “save your life” from disease, but rather prevent you from catching the disease.

If you look at human warfare as a pestilence – the mere presence of a strong volunteer fighting force has served for many years as an inoculation against attacks against Americans on American soil. Simply put: no one has had to die protecting YOUR freedom simply because anyone who is willing to threaten it knows the consequences of doing so.

You certainly have taken your freedom for granted. Why do you do that? Are you willing to live in a America without military? Are you willing to live in a country without military, but everybody else's country has strong military?

Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 PM

404 posts, read 366,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Actually, I don't think military service people enjoy the same constitutional rights as you do.

This said, their willingness and preparedness to make the sacrifices is what prevented YOUR freedom from being threatened in the first place. In the same way that immunizations don’t “save your life” from disease, but rather prevent you from catching the disease.

If you look at human warfare as a pestilence – the mere presence of a strong volunteer fighting force has served for many years as an inoculation against attacks against Americans on American soil. Simply put: no one has had to die protecting YOUR freedom simply because anyone who is willing to threaten it knows the consequences of doing so.

You certainly have taken your freedom for granted. Why do you do that? Are you willing to live in a America without military? Are you willing to live in a country without military, but everybody else's country has strong military?
Wow, I don't know what you read, but you should really stop....

lmao..strong military? What strong military? The military in other countries totally sucks.

And it is a pestilence. I can at least say no to the vaccination..where was my right and choice to say no, I don't want you guys to go to X Y Z country, stay out of it! My tax dollars PAY their salary, pay for the guns that they use, and pay for the equipment as well..so although I am not there physically, anyone that has paid taxes has contributed the safety and well being to the troops and have done their part as well. To say that it is just all them and that's it, is totally ludicrous.

My freedom is mine, I know full well how to use a gun and I do not need nor ask for anyone to help me. And going with your point, if the military kept its nose out of other countries business, then they wouldn't have to worry about other countries attacking now would they? This whole, "The military is fighting for your freedom" is pure conservative bs.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:46 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Wow, I don't know what you read, but you should really stop....

lmao..strong military? What strong military? The military in other countries totally sucks.

And it is a pestilence. I can at least say no to the vaccination..where was my right and choice to say no, I don't want you guys to go to X Y Z country, stay out of it! My tax dollars PAY their salary, pay for the guns that they use, and pay for the equipment as well..so although I am not there physically, anyone that has paid taxes has contributed the safety and well being to the troops and have done their part as well. To say that it is just all them and that's it, is totally ludicrous.

My freedom is mine, I know full well how to use a gun and I do not need nor ask for anyone to help me. And going with your point, if the military kept its nose out of other countries business, then they wouldn't have to worry about other countries attacking now would they? This whole, "The military is fighting for your freedom" is pure conservative bs.
I don't think you understand the point I was making. Maybe you should read again.

No, I didn't say "The military is fighting for your freedom." You need to read it again.

I said, "their willingness and preparedness to make the sacrifices is what prevented YOUR freedom from being threatened in the first place"

May I ask you a question?

Will you agree with the following statement?

Without any military, our freedom would certainly be in jeopardy as well as our safety.

Our servicemen carry on traditions of duty, honor, brotherhood, and dedication to country that are sadly lacking in many quarters of our society. And any one of them would give their life to protect our country, even if it is an imperfect place.

So, in my opinion, yes, they do protect my freedom, and yours.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-17-2016 at 12:05 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 12:33 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
Is it envy for me to want to be safe from crime? Yes, I want there to be a police force that will protect me from criminals and deter them. What do I have to do to "earn" this thing that I want? Well, in a modern civilized state, I have to pay taxes, and am provided the services. The only thing I have to do to "earn" this to be a taxpaying citizen.

You think that healthcare is like a premium spa-treatment or something like that. I shouldn't have to earn my healthcare except through paying taxes for it, and receiving services when I need it. I earn it by paying taxes, just as I "earn" my right to security from crime through paying taxes to fund the police. I could see how you might say that what I'm suggesting is bad policy, or that my argument equating healthcare to a public good (as the military and the police are generally accepted to be) is faulty, but I cannot possibly see how you are bringing envy into this. Is a person's desire for security, good health, and safety at an affordable price, and with equal access and rights, envy?
YOU totally miss the point!

YOU want something that others WORK FOR, RISK THEIR LIVES FOR, PUT THEMSELVES IN HARMS WAY - FOR YOU TO BE SAFE, and want it for yourself for doing absolutely nothing more than paying taxes?

Are you seriously continuing with this nonsensical perspective because you believe you have a valid point? OR is it because you feel you deserve what people, who are paid through taxes, receive simply because you pay taxes?

If this is the case I suppose you deserve EVERYTHING a cop, firefighter, teacher, EMS receives simply because you pay taxes... yet do not expect to actually do anything to EARN what they have!

Are you honestly this dense?

Wait... you've been barraged with logic from countless responses, yet stick to your misguided notions... so the question has been answered.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
I don't believe I deserve anything other than equal rights. I merely believe that all citizens should be treated equally under the law.

you have just as much right to enlist in the military as anyone else........

Old 05-17-2016, 12:45 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Well, I have the right to live in a nation that is secure, and a community that is safe. Do I have the right to make you pay for the military and the police that make this possible? Regardless of what your answer is, you are paying for it. And so am I. And I am reasonably certain that the whole basis of government and taxation is "making people pay for things."

What does the military and the police have in common with healthcare? All ultimately come down to self-preservation. We have decided to "make everyone pay" for the military and the police because the desire and need for self-preservation and safety exists in all rational individuals. So if it's something that everyone needs, why shouldn't everyone pay, just like we do with the military and the police? Nobody, save for anarchists, would say that there should be competing militaries and police forces that provide their private services to whoever wants to pay for it. Such a system has not worked in any known civilization, and it is safe to say it will not work. How would you feel if the police refused to answer your call because you forgot to pay them that month for their services, and they sent you a bill for $10,000, but the neighbor across the street who had a "police insurance plan" was given no-charge service? That's exactly how it is for healthcare right now. I say it is just as absurd for healthcare to not be funded by taxation and provided to all citizens equally as it would be for police to not be funded by taxation and provided for all citizens equally - both involve the universal human desire for self-preservation and security, one from disease/injury and the other from crime.
Having the military is actually in the Constitution. Every thing else is paid through taxes for the public good.

Your personal health care and paying for it is not my problem nor everyone else's. I don't send my child to public school therefore I want a refund. I ant you to give me money because I don't use the service. Do that and I pay for your health care.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:05 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Using work in exchange for some benefit..check
Not using work and believing you deserve something... Unchrck

Next question

Old 05-17-2016, 06:17 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Is it illegal for my employer to provide healthcare for me and not you? No. Same goes with the military.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You do have equal rights. You have the right to join the military and partake of that largesse.

Or not. See how it works?
You could explain this to the OP forever, and he would never understand it. I'm sure he's of the generation that got "participant ribbons" instead of keeping score. In his mind, no matter what choices he makes he should be rewarded with the same benefits as others. Good luck in life OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies