Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 07:09 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
People in the military get education benefits and healthcare benefits that non-military members do not. I believe that people who serve in the military deserve all of the benefits that they get and more besides. But why should a person who has not served and will not serve in the military, either because he is not qualified, or because he does not wish to, not have access to the same benefits that people in the military receive? On what grounds can it be justified to provide unequal social benefits to people in different professions? Do we live in a caste society or a society where everyone has equal rights (I thought it was the latter?)

And why isn't Bernie Sanders framing the healthcare and education issue in this way? He keeps blabbering on about how Western European countries, England, Canada have free healthcare and education. He hasn't mentioned once that a lot of Americans - people serving in the military - already get these benefits. To treat a sick person differently depending on whether that person is a member of the military or not seems to me absurd.

The only thing that's absurd is advocating the mooching of unearned benefits.

Um...they're not free the way you'd like yours to be free.

The military is their employer and, as such, what you're referring to is (along with other perks) part of the benefit package. You'll find many competitive perks in private industries, too. Am I beefing because I don't get free Verizon access like my neighbor's great great great Aunt Tillie does because she has a shirttail relative who works there?

You have two choices: enlist in the military, or work for a company which extends such benefits.

Problem solved.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianvegan View Post
Yep. It's not fair. In Canada we have free healthcare and life is awesome here. Too bad you guys don't have the same thing, I wish you did.
Hey, all Americans "and" illegal immigrants who want free healthcare should go to Canada.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:12 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
And therein lies the problem! The archaic, backward mentality of thinking that healthcare, in this modern day and age, is "compensation," and that one's access to it should depend on whoever your employer is.

NO. An individual's life and health is sacrosanct. It is the most important thing in a person's life. To say that your access to healthcare should have any dependence on who your employer is, and what benefits that they provide is utterly preposterous. Maybe when we were living in the dark ages and didn't have the knowledge and institutions we do now, but there's no excuse anymore.

Then shop for it, promote buying it across state lines (free market) and purchase it with your earnings.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:29 AM

248 posts, read 244,272 times
Everyone needs food to survive so it should be a right. The military is part of the government which I pay for and they feed their soldiers. Therefore I should have the right to free food too!

Don't bother to reply, I'm off to Red Lobster, I'll tell them the government is paying!

Old 05-17-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
To say that your access to healthcare should have any dependence on who your employer is, and what benefits that they provide is utterly preposterous.
Actually getting healthcare without going broke now depends on being employed by someone else. Did you get a load of how the premiums skyrocketed after Obamacare became law?

Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Quote:
...if you're willing to put your life on the line to defend this country and its freedoms (that are dwindling daily) [then you] deserve said compensation.

You don't DESERVE anything for doing your job other than your paycheck and thats it, I could see medical thrown in there because a lot of places do that these days, everything else, get rid of it! My taxes shouldn't have to pay for these people!
You're clearly not understanding what just about everyone has said... when we signed up and took the job part of the compensation package includes health coverage. It isn't and it certainly wasn't free, we paid for it, some paid more than others but we all paid for everything we were paid. We don't "deserve" anything because we signed up, we legally deserve what we were promised in our contracts when we did our jobs.

Also keep in mind that we pay just as much taxes as you do, well if you ever found a job that is.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Wow, I don't know what you read, but you should really stop....

lmao..strong military? What strong military? The military in other countries totally sucks.

And it is a pestilence. I can at least say no to the vaccination..where was my right and choice to say no, I don't want you guys to go to X Y Z country, stay out of it! My tax dollars PAY their salary, pay for the guns that they use, and pay for the equipment as well..so although I am not there physically, anyone that has paid taxes has contributed the safety and well being to the troops and have done their part as well. To say that it is just all them and that's it, is totally ludicrous.

My freedom is mine, I know full well how to use a gun and I do not need nor ask for anyone to help me. And going with your point, if the military kept its nose out of other countries business, then they wouldn't have to worry about other countries attacking now would they? This whole, "The military is fighting for your freedom" is pure conservative bs.
You sound pretty angry, maybe you need a little air.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
...if you're willing to put your life on the line to defend this country and its freedoms (that are dwindling daily) [then you] deserve said compensation.

You don't DESERVE anything for doing your job other than your paycheck and thats it, I could see medical thrown in there because a lot of places do that these days, everything else, get rid of it! My taxes shouldn't have to pay for these people!
Do you have a job? Health insurance is usually a part of the compensation package. If you have a job why don't you have health insurance?

If you don't work ... and don't have insurance.... wasn't Obamacare supposed to make sure everyone got insurance?

Old 05-17-2016, 08:15 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
I have more of a problem with convicted criminals receiving free healthcare and an education than I do our armed forces. They've committed a wrong against society so we let them get college degrees why most of our kids have to take out school loans.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,988 times
Free? LOL - That's hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies