Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:11 PM

155 posts, read 101,510 times

Advertisements

People in the military get education benefits and healthcare benefits that non-military members do not. I believe that people who serve in the military deserve all of the benefits that they get and more besides. But why should a person who has not served and will not serve in the military, either because he is not qualified, or because he does not wish to, not have access to the same benefits that people in the military receive? On what grounds can it be justified to provide unequal social benefits to people in different professions? Do we live in a caste society or a society where everyone has equal rights (I thought it was the latter?)

And why isn't Bernie Sanders framing the healthcare and education issue in this way? He keeps blabbering on about how Western European countries, England, Canada have free healthcare and education. He hasn't mentioned once that a lot of Americans - people serving in the military - already get these benefits. To treat a sick person differently depending on whether that person is a member of the military or not seems to me absurd.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
People in the military get education benefits and healthcare benefits that non-military members do not. I believe that people who serve in the military deserve all of the benefits that they get and more besides. But why should a person who has not served and will not serve in the military, either because he is not qualified, or because he does not wish to, not have access to the same benefits that people in the military receive? On what grounds can it be justified to provide unequal social benefits to people in different professions.

And why isn't Bernie Sanders framing the healthcare and education issue in this way? He keeps blabbering on about how Western European countries, England, Canada have free healthcare and education. He hasn't mentioned once that a lot of Americans - people serving in the military - already get these benefits.
Why don't you try earning this "free" stuff instead of believing you just deserve it?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:16 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Military members are ultimately government employees - this is a form of compensation.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Why don't you try earning this "free" stuff instead of believing you just deserve it?
I don't believe I deserve anything other than equal rights. I merely believe that all citizens should be treated equally under the law.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I don't believe I deserve anything other than equal rights. I merely believe that all citizens should be treated equally under the law.
You do have equal rights. You have the right to join the military and partake of that largesse.

Or not. See how it works?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Military members are ultimately government employees - this is a form of compensation.
And therein lies the problem! The archaic, backward mentality of thinking that healthcare, in this modern day and age, is "compensation," and that one's access to it should depend on whoever your employer is.

NO. An individual's life and health is sacrosanct. It is the most important thing in a person's life. To say that your access to healthcare should have any dependence on who your employer is, and what benefits that they provide is utterly preposterous. Maybe when we were living in the dark ages and didn't have the knowledge and institutions we do now, but there's no excuse anymore.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
And therein lies the problem! The archaic, backward mentality of thinking that healthcare, in this modern day and age, is "compensation," and that one's access to it should depend on whoever your employer is.

NO. An individual's life and health is sacrosanct. It is the most important thing in a person's life. To say that your access to healthcare should have any dependence on who your employer is, and what benefits that they provide is utterly preposterous. Maybe when we were living in the dark ages and didn't have the knowledge and institutions we do now, but there's no excuse anymore.
As I said, you want "free" stuff as long as someone else pays for it.

You have the right to health care. You don't have the right to make me pay for it.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You do have equal rights. You have the right to join the military and partake of that largesse.

Or not. See how it works?
Equal rights means equal rights as tied to citizenship, not a particular choice of employment. People have the RIGHT to vote once they reach a certain age. One has to do something egregious (i.e. commit a felony) to lose that right. One does not have to make a particular career choice in order to be able to vote. People who aren't in the military don't have to pay a poll tax in order to vote. Everyone has an equal right to vote, equal access to vote, unless they commit a crime that deprives them of this right.

That's what rights are - everyone has them unless they do something to lose them by virtue of citizenship - i.e. being a member of the nation, and not by being a member of a profession, career choice, etc.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Equal rights means equal rights as tied to citizenship, not a particular choice of employment. People have the RIGHT to vote once they reach a certain age. One has to do something egregious (i.e. commit a felony) to lose that right. One does not have to make a particular career choice in order to be able to vote. People who aren't in the military don't have to pay a poll tax in order to vote. Everyone has an equal right to vote, equal access to vote, unless they commit a crime that deprives them of this right.

That's what rights are - everyone has them unless they do something to lose them by virtue of citizenship - i.e. being a member of the nation, and not by being a member of a profession, career choice, etc.
You have the right to health care. You do not have the right to make me pay for it.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:35 PM

404 posts, read 366,871 times
Quote:
People in the military get education benefits and healthcare benefits that non-military members do not. I believe that people who serve in the military deserve all of the benefits that they get and more besides. But why should a person who has not served and will not serve in the military, either because he is not qualified, or because he does not wish to, not have access to the same benefits that people in the military receive? On what grounds can it be justified to provide unequal social benefits to people in different professions? Do we live in a caste society or a society where everyone has equal rights (I thought it was the latter?)

And why isn't Bernie Sanders framing the healthcare and education issue in this way? He keeps blabbering on about how Western European countries, England, Canada have free healthcare and education. He hasn't mentioned once that a lot of Americans - people serving in the military - already get these benefits. To treat a sick person differently depending on whether that person is a member of the military or not seems to me absurd.
Totally agree with you on this, but i think the military gets too much tbh.

Anyways bernie cant say anything like that because it will get twisted like he is attacking the military
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies