Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
I don't believe I deserve anything other than equal rights. I merely believe that all citizens should be treated equally under the law.
You are treated equally, sign up.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:51 PM

26,503 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
I don't believe I deserve anything other than equal rights. I merely believe that all citizens should be treated equally under the law.
Quote:
And therein lies the problem! The archaic, backward mentality of thinking that healthcare, in this modern day and age, is "compensation," and that one's access to it should depend on whoever your employer is.

NO. An individual's life and health is sacrosanct. It is the most important thing in a person's life. To say that your access to healthcare should have any dependence on who your employer is, and what benefits that they provide is utterly preposterous. Maybe when we were living in the dark ages and didn't have the knowledge and institutions we do now, but there's no excuse anymore.
I am for a national healthcare system similar to that of France's.

My point is that it is asinine to claim that you don't have equal rights, because government employees receive compensation for being employed that people who aren't employed don't get. You have the equal right to apply for military/government employment.

"As a person not employed by Microsoft, I should be ticked off that I don't get the same compensation from Microsoft that Microsoft gives its employees, it is a violation of my equal rights man!" That is why Bernie isn't using your logic...because it is asinine.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Why do you people believe that someone should be compensated not only more than what they are worth, but just for doing their job.

And to me, THAT is despicable.
The question is, do the people asking if the military is over compensated really understand the long hours, operation tempo, hazardous duty, personal sacrifice and hardship many of our servicemembers and their families endure, especially in a time of war?

Lucky for the world, you don't make decision on somebody's worth.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
I have never stated that the military should not get the benefits that it does right now. All I am saying is that everyone should get the same benefits as the military does.
Should you get their salary too? As already pointed out the benefits are part of the compensation for your time. You can argue about whether they should or should not get those benefits, you can't argue you should get them too because you have done nothing to earn them.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:00 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
And therein lies the problem! The archaic, backward mentality of thinking that healthcare, in this modern day and age, is "compensation," and that one's access to it should depend on whoever your employer is.
Why should access to healthcare be anything else but compensation?

Quote:
NO. An individual's life and health is sacrosanct.
Really?

Quote:
It is the most important thing in a person's life.
I guess that's why so many Americans take such good care of themselves. They all believe that "my body is a temple"?

Quote:
To say that your access to healthcare should have any dependence on who your employer is, and what benefits that they provide is utterly preposterous.
So, you think its a right?

Why?

Quote:
Maybe when we were living in the dark ages and didn't have the knowledge and institutions we do now, but there's no excuse anymore.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:00 PM

155 posts, read 101,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I highly doubt you're paying for much of anything. The fact that you can't differentiate between earning something and wanting something (envy is a deadly sin) tells me all I need to know about where you are coming from.
Is it envy for me to want to be safe from crime? Yes, I want there to be a police force that will protect me from criminals and deter them. What do I have to do to "earn" this thing that I want? Well, in a modern civilized state, I have to pay taxes, and am provided the services. The only thing I have to do to "earn" this to be a taxpaying citizen.

You think that healthcare is like a premium spa-treatment or something like that. I shouldn't have to earn my healthcare except through paying taxes for it, and receiving services when I need it. I earn it by paying taxes, just as I "earn" my right to security from crime through paying taxes to fund the police. I could see how you might say that what I'm suggesting is bad policy, or that my argument equating healthcare to a public good (as the military and the police are generally accepted to be) is faulty, but I cannot possibly see how you are bringing envy into this. Is a person's desire for security, good health, and safety at an affordable price, and with equal access and rights, envy?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:03 PM

404 posts, read 366,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The question is, do the people asking if the military is over compensated really understand the long hours, operation tempo, hazardous duty, personal sacrifice and hardship many of our servicemembers and their families endure, especially in a time of war?

Lucky for the world, you don't make decision on somebody's worth.
I hope that one day i am. And they signed up for the job, no body forced them.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:03 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianvegan View Post
Yep. It's not fair. In Canada we have free healthcare and life is awesome here. Too bad you guys don't have the same thing, I wish you did.
Didn't your prime minister (or whoever or some one in charge) come to the US for surgery, in Florida?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:04 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
People in the military get education benefits and healthcare benefits that non-military members do not. ... why should a person who has not served and will not serve in the military, either because he is not qualified, or because he does not wish to, not have access to the same benefits that people in the military receive?
I'm wondering if you're just having a go?

Is this a serious question?

You really believe that everyone should receive equal compensation?

Get out of here!

Old 05-16-2016, 07:06 PM

26,503 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Is it envy for me to want to be safe from crime? Yes, I want there to be a police force that will protect me from criminals and deter them. What do I have to do to "earn" this thing that I want? Well, in a modern civilized state, I have to pay taxes, and am provided the services. The only thing I have to do to "earn" this to be a taxpaying citizen.
You don't earn police protection by paying taxes. Non-tax payers are protected by the police as well.

Society deems it important to protect people from disorder and the best way to do that is a police force that enforces laws, mostly paid with taxes, but serving all in society.

Your whole thread is premised on a faulty line of logic...that your rights are being violated, because government employees receive compensation that you as a non-employee don't get. Just end the thread, think for awhile, and start a new thread with better logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies