Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 PM

865 posts, read 623,493 times

Advertisements

no

Old 05-16-2016, 08:27 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
The main point of my argument isn't really about how I deserve these benefits. I am a young, healthy male who rarely visits the doctor, and am in my 20s. I am saying that society would be better off in the aggregate if everyone received these benefits. Reducing the cost of healthcare by implementing a system like the NHS in America would increase the savings of American families and allow them to spend more money, which would benefit the economy. And Europe (esp. the UK and British Commonwealth nations) have proven that quality of care exceeding or equaling our quality of care can be provided at a fraction of our cost and with greater (in fact, universal) access.

Increased education correlates with increased happiness and greater self-actualization, and greater per capita GDP. Self-actualized people are happy, and happy people are productive. Yes, the military is important, and yes, they deserve their benefits as I've said. Our dreams and aspirations are just as important as their sacrifices.
I've stayed in Japan and Germany for years. I think "Free" is a relative term since tax payers absorb that cost.

European countries often differ greatly from the US in substantive ways. Their college enrollment percentages, for example, are much lower than in America.

Grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:36 PM

865 posts, read 623,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Why do you people believe that someone should be compensated not only more than what they are worth, but just for doing their job.

And to me, THAT is despicable.
"Us people" believe that if you're willing to put your life on the line to defend this country and its freedoms (that are dwindling daily) deserve said compensation.

"You people" are the ones that are despicable.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 PM

Since you like to compare the U.S. to other countries, why don't you compare this?

Anual Wages
1st year Private (USA) = $17,604
1st year Private (Canada) = $31,965

As you can see its close to double pay!

The officer was the one I was interested in most and while comparing the two I found this:
1st year Second Lieutenant (USA)= $33,396
1st year Second Lieutenant (Canada)= $47,424

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=139550023

Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 PM

155 posts, read 101,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
"Us people" believe that if you're willing to put your life on the line to defend this country and its freedoms (that are dwindling daily) deserve said compensation.

"You people" are the ones that are despicable.
Nope, not any more than people outside the military receive. Or, at the very least, the burden of proof is on you to show why the military deserves benefits that we don't get - especially since these are benefits that all citizens receive in other countries.

Isn't the concept of taking away from the citizens to give to the military the basic ideology of the former Soviet Union and North Korea now? Isn't making young people get into massive debt to get a college education or making people pay a huge amount for healthcare (especially independent contractors and people who work for small businesses less than 50 people), while the military gets the so-called "best healthcare in the world," a tad unfair to the citizens?

And no, not everyone who is in the military is actually risking his or her life. Some of them are just chilling out, just like so many here say about the people on welfare. There are tons of civilian jobs that are more dangerous than some military jobs. Yeah, the most dangerous military jobs are way more dangerous than the most dangerous civilian jobs, but there's a big overlap.

Last edited by Y2Jayy; 05-16-2016 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 08:49 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I'm wondering if you're just having a go?

Is this a serious question?

You really believe that everyone should receive equal compensation?

Get out of here!

I can fathom the seriousness of this kind of thinking either.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Nope, not any more than people outside the military receive. Or, at the very least, the burden of proof is on you to show why the military deserves benefits that we don't get - especially since these are benefits that all citizens receive in other countries.
You also don't deserve the benefits and compensation packages Microsoft engineers are getting. Get over it.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I am saying that healthcare isn't something that should be earned, or considered as compensation, unless it is premium healthcare like medically unnecessary plastic surgery or high-end skin treatments. I think access to basic healthcare should be free for everyone at point of service, and that there is nothing to be earned, except through the rights of citizenship. Just as nobody has to earn the right to have a military or a police force OTHER THAN paying taxes and being a citizen of the nation that you are paying taxes to.

You have this strange mentality that everything needs to be earned. Yes, in a state of nature, everything needs to be earned. If you want food, you have to either grow it, kill it, or buy it. But there's this remarkable thing called civilization - where we all agree to come together to provide for services to all citizens in exchange for taxation. The idea's worked remarkably well, and it's not going away any time soon. The whole point of paying taxes is that you don't have to do anything other than pay the taxes. I don't have to earn free police protection at the point of service. I am saying, why should I have to do anything other than pay taxes to fund a healthcare system to get free healthcare at the point of service?

With this logic all should eat for free too just because they exist.

No.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:04 PM

155 posts, read 101,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You also don't deserve the benefits and compensation packages Microsoft engineers are getting. Get over it.
You keep referring to free healthcare as some sort of benefit that people who belong to certain government-sanctioned classes are entitled to. But remember this, society as a whole is paying for your special privileges. When we millennials take over, we'll create a universal healthcare system and universal education system for all citizens. Equal rights for all and special privileges for none. It will happen sooner than you think.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Nobody is taking your privileges away. It just means that you'll have to accept that the privileges you reserve for yourself will become rights enjoyed by everyone.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianvegan View Post
You already do and it's called EBT. America is the biggest nanny state in the world in actuality -- you just don't know it.

No, I do know it and resent it.
Not helping people but supporting them on a continuous basis that is.

You are born in this world with the responsibility to overall take care if yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies