Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 03:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Works for me.

Not for me.

There are probably thousands of examples of kids from good families who committed crimes. I'm sure the parents were equally shocked and appalled.

In the history of mankind, a small percentage have always shown a perpensity for evil and violence. No amount of prison would change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:09 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Preparing for what exactly?
I tell people that I'm getting ready for the zombie apocalypse because anything less than that will be easy to get through.

It's not like buying milk either. With proper storage, ammo will last for decades.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:20 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
#1 Treat the 2nd Amendment like the first. What tests are you going to make members of the press and bloggers pass? Put a card with the 4 gun safety rules in every gun sold. Each store could get some made up from VistaPrint.

#2 Define an illegal weapon.

#3 Are you advocating universal background checks? How will you enforce them without registration?

#4 How do you get around the 4th Amendment?
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

#5 & #6 How do you get around medical privacy laws?

#7 & #8 How are you going to deny someone their 2nd Amendment right without a trial?

#9 I'd say the majority of the guns purchased are semi-auto with a detachable mag. My oldest was made in 1915. With that type of volume, who will perform this mental health check? If it is a doctor then see item #5 and #6. How much more of a background check should these owners go through?

#10 I agree.

#11 We have that here in MS. It's about 6 hours in the classroom and a simple accuracy test at the range. If we pass we can carry in any city, county or state building unless that building houses prisoners. This includes everything from my local elementary school to the state capital.

#12 So I can't have a drink in my house?

#13 Most states use the NRA concealed carry course. MS does not as it treats its citizens as adults.

I'm a reasonable guy that owns a bunch of guns, while you're a gun nut that bases his/her life off of a piece of paper that was mostly written over 200 years ago.

My gun rights will eventually be taken away because of people like you being unreasonable. Thanks

Old 06-23-2016, 03:21 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've followed this issue for a while now, also by way of more than a few gun threads, and though I have not been altogether against gun control, I have come to accept there isn't much that can be done to stop gun violence in America or even to lessen the body count by any acceptable level. I am no gun expert, and I have been chastised for having an opinion though I am not an expert, even for relying on experts instead. However, as compared to many gun enthusiasts in these threads, for example, I just tend to pay closer attention to other experts that tend to make more sense without all the gun obsession detail down to the patina. Accordingly, rather than go round and round those gun circles, I'm glad to have this to offer as my position. IOWs, I tend to agree almost entirely with what is written here. Not that the "answers" put forth here are altogether satisfying, but about the best we can do I think...

"What can be done to address this much larger toll of gun violence, which leaves nearly 100,000 Americans killed or wounded each year?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ks-what-doesnt
Well let's see...the uber left guardian paper isn't exactly the bastion of thought... but my two cents

"Gunnuts" are not and have not ever been the issue.

Criminals are...lets spay and neuter all felons of the dangerous kind and permanently reduce the target population
Don't let them breed and after several generations the problems of violence will reduce by default.

Common sense background checks are acceptable...people lie on the 4473... I bet many drug users on this board routinely lie on them. Unless we have thought police I don't see a better way.

We already have many laws in place that address all aspects of gun ownership... gun safety locks.. approved gun safes..methods to carry..locations prohibited..use.. on and on... but the fact is a criminal who uses a stolen gun would never
follow the myriad of gun laws. Lets put these people away permanently....and let's use the death penalty fairly but regularly for crimes of violence agsinst another human being.

The societal reasons for violence are way beyond guns...if there were no guns tomorrow street gangs would transit to cutting each other up with machetes....and robberies would use some other type of weapon. Most street crimes uses stolen guns...if they were stopped being made tomorrow it would take 100 years to get them out of the population...and it would turn millions of lawful gun owners into crooks...

Every politician you know is protected by guns and private armies...

Fear the government and political classes that want to take away YOUR gun while increasing theirs.. fear the actual causes of violence never being addressed

Btw... you cannot legally own a firearm when under protective order... convicted felon... donestic abuser..the article doesn't address this

Old 06-23-2016, 03:30 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
False flag. Its not an issue. Gun deaths are at a 25 year low. 2/3s of all gun deaths are suicides. If someone wants to check out early on this life, let them. That leaves 10,000 deaths that are accidental or murder. About 1/2 of the 10,000 are gang on gang murder. Ill look up the accidents, but from what I can see the average man or woman in this country is extremely safe from being murdered, unless they are in the inner city.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:31 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Virtually every idea in that article could be viewed as a violation of the 2nd amendment or 4th amendment.
Even police officers find the ceasefire strategy uncomfortable for its clear infringements on the 4th amendment. It's like the very big brother of stop-and-frisk/broken windows.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:32 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Why do anything??

You sheep DO realize that gun violence is DOWN significantly in the last 20 years right????????????????????
But it is likely down because we have been locking people up.
It is effective, but the external effects of simply locking up huge numbers of people (even if they have committed some level of crime) is probably not worth the tradeoff.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
But it is likely down because we have been locking people up.
It is effective, but the external effects of simply locking up huge numbers of people (even if they have committed some level of crime) is probably not worth the tradeoff.
What do you mean it's not worth the trade off? What's the trade-off? NOT having criminals roaming the streets? It's not worth that?

Old 06-23-2016, 03:39 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
False flag. Its not an issue. Gun deaths are at a 25 year low. 2/3s of all gun deaths are suicides. If someone wants to check out early on this life, let them. That leaves 10,000 deaths that are accidental or murder. About 1/2 of the 10,000 are gang on gang murder. Ill look up the accidents, but from what I can see the average man or woman in this country is extremely safe from being murdered, unless they are in the inner city.
Bingo...we have a winner...and correct.. but this never gets a word in the media

Old 06-23-2016, 03:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Not for me.

There are probably thousands of examples of kids from good families who committed crimes. I'm sure the parents were equally shocked and appalled.

In the history of mankind, a small percentage have always shown a perpensity for evil and violence. No amount of prison would change that.
Hence they should be in prison for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies