Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:26 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The Orlando shooter used a Sig Saur MCX as seen below. Looks like an assault rifle to me. I think a gun that lets you mow down over a hundred people in a matter of minutes could be safely considered an assault rifle. The MCX is particularly deadly because it was designed to suppress sound and has an optional silencer. It is advertised for its lightness, ease of use and silence in the marketing videos. I didn't know silencers were legal in Florida, but a google search shows indeed they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWvp-Z0kMM
It's an assault rifle lookalike but it's not an assault rifle. Virtually every gun available today and then can mown down hundreds of people in minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 05:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Again, not true. The Orlando shooter bought his assault rifle legally in Florida.

The friend of the shooter in San Bernadino bought an assault rifle for him legally in California, where there is supposed to be a ban but has loopholes in it big enough to drive a truck through that made the ban compelety meaningless and ineffective. The loopholes were only very recently closed in the aftermath of San Bernadino a few weeks ago when the governor signed a new bill to close to them but they said that many times so it remains to be seen if it does any good.
By your own posted definition on another thread.
as·sault ri·fle
noun
noun: assault rifle; plural noun: assault rifles
a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.
Unless you're an active member of the armed forces, a member of SWAT, or planning to go on a shooting spree there is no legitimate need for an assault rifle which is a weapon of war. Hunting deer and rabbits doesn't count.

AR15's are not automatic's they are semi-automatics just like the vast majority of everyday hunting rifles.

how can you argue for an assault rifle ban when you don't even know what one is.

please stop posting before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

bill

Old 07-16-2016, 06:02 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
By your own posted definition on another thread.
as·sault ri·fle
noun
noun: assault rifle; plural noun: assault rifles
a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.
Unless you're an active member of the armed forces, a member of SWAT, or planning to go on a shooting spree there is no legitimate need for an assault rifle which is a weapon of war. Hunting deer and rabbits doesn't count.

AR15's are not automatic's they are semi-automatics just like the vast majority of everyday hunting rifles.

how can you argue for an assault rifle ban when you don't even know what one is.

please stop posting before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

bill
But it looks scary!

Old 07-16-2016, 06:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Then you need to register your assault trailer, have a background check done, and pay a special license fee.

Oh, wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You'd have to call a licensed, trained professional of course, there could be a special number for it maybe 811. You can't trust just anyone with a truck after all. It won't matter if it's proven that government truck drivers accidentally kill more people than civilian truck drivers, big brother is always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Assault truck Sounds funny, but there is a major difference, trucks are not made to be used for hurting or killing people, guns are. It's a bit low by gun nuts to hijack that incident as a pseudo-argument for their cause.

i was waiting for someone to let this go over their head.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:09 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's an assault rifle lookalike but it's not an assault rifle. Virtually every gun available today and then can mown down hundreds of people in minutes.

The Orlando chief of police himself described it as an assault rifle. Do you know something he doesn't? The San Bernardino police chief said the same thing about the gun used in the massacre there. Do you know something they don't? I think the chief of police would know more about firearms than you, since he deals with them professionally on a daily basis. What else would you call it? A harmless tickle toy?

Quote:
In the hours after Sunday’s mass shooting at an Orlando night club,
Chief John Mina of the Orlando Police Department said the gunman’s weapons
included a pistol and an “AR-15-type assault rifle.”

Washington Post

Old 07-16-2016, 06:24 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
The Orlando chief of police himself described it as an assault rifle. Do you know something he doesn't? The San Bernardino police chief said the same thing about the gun used in the massacre there. Do you know something they don't? I think the chief of police would know more about firearms than you, since he deals with them professionally on a daily basis. What else would you call it? A harmless tickle toy?
I know one thing for sure, the Orlando chief of police, and the San Bernadino chief of police do not know what an Assault Rifle is.
According to your own definition.

Something else I know
When your in a hole, stop digging!

bill

Old 07-16-2016, 06:24 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
"Assault Rifles" are fully automatic machine guns that have select fire capability.

Just because a lot of people in the media, including a chief of police misuses the term does not make it correct.

Oh and BTW, "silencer" is not the correct term. They are called suppressors.

Why is this important? Because the term silencer perpetuates the Hollywood myth that using one will "silence " a weapon to the phfft...phfft...phfft noise they use in the movies.

Not true, they only reduce the decibels to a degree that makes them less liable to create hearing damage.

Guns are much louder in real life than in the movies.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:29 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yepper..It Looks alike, acts alike causes death alike..Yet ????? So what in particular is your point?

Why in He$$'s Bells does anyone required to even own such a weapon?? It boggles my mind..and they apparently have no waiting period for obtaining such a weapon either.

2nd Amendment Rights, when written had NO CLUE such weaponry would be available to everyday Citizens?? How would they even envision such weaponry that was going in the far future? THEY couldn't..Simple..THEY expected the Government to "REGULATE"...as written in the 2nd Amendment..BUT Politicians bought and paid for by Lobbyists..ALLOW and see no need to REG-U-LATE!!

Even DALLAS Police Chief Brown acknowledged..THEY have NO idea who are the "Good Guys" nor the "Bad Guys"..and citizen's who carry "Weapons of War" can and are allowed to walk around in plain view with such weapons...Police MUST abide by the Laws in their jurisdiction..SO hey..fears of slippery slope has long gone way past slopes..It's in much need for regulating who can own specific weapons..waiting periods a must..closing loopholes ( i.e. Internet and Gunshots) would be a start..ALL weapons required registration..and whomever is registered to that gun is responsible.. ala guy who purchased gun for San Baradino Mass Killings is NOW held accountable!!

I've known hunters..and none that I have ever interacted with stated..Machine gun type guns are actually counter intuitive..since IF you miss..You end up hurting other things Not even the target..including a fellow hunter..IF target happens to run towards them. They actually suggested..it is totally unnecessary plus added..such weapons only seem to be necessary for those who want to appear better than the other..ala/i.e. like having a better car than their neighbour..or nicer outfit than their rival..It always seems it's an "EGO" thing..not a Necessary thing!

This has been my experience anyway~~

BACK to Truck point by OP~~ It appears the man in Nice ( pronounced Neece) France..rented this Truck..Just maybe someone should have to prove necessity , since it's obvious THEY are now considered "Weapons of War"..It would fall under " Commercial Vehicle" legislation in my understanding. No one would rent such a vehicle unless they had a need, no? Then They must prove their need for it? No?

Old 07-16-2016, 06:29 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
An assault truck ban needs to be considered. No one needs to own a huge truck that can be used as a lethal weapon to mow down innocent children and other people. People on the no-fly list should not be able to buy trucks at all.

It is also time to institute a waiting period and a background check for truck buyers. After all, it is not the murder that is important, it is how it is committed that is the central question. The equipment utilized in the murder is what we need to look at, not the motivation or religion or psychology or character of the killer. We just really need to know the equipment he chose to commit the murder. Nothing else is really important.

Thank God there is no 2nd amendment for trucks, so we should be able to get this ban in place before the election.

Trucks were originally designed for transporting things. (their value to society is far greater than guns)

Guns were originally designed to deliver a lethal shot to a living thing (human or animal)

If you operate a truck as it is intended to do so, it is not a lethal weapon.

A gun is a lethal weapon if used intentionally, accidentally, properly, or improperly.

That is the difference between the 2.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:34 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
The Orlando shooter used a Sig Saur MCX as seen below. Looks like an assault rifle to me. I think a gun that lets you mow down over a hundred people in a matter of minutes could be safely considered an assault rifle. The MCX is particularly deadly because it was designed to suppress sound and has an optional silencer. It is advertised for its lightness, ease of use and silence in the marketing videos. I didn't know silencers were legal in Florida, but a google search shows indeed they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWvp-Z0kMM
Glad you go by looks and not what an assault rifle actually is.....

Please tell us what you have to go through to get a silencer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies