Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 08:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,774,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
YES! That is what infuriates me the most of all....it's these groups acting like black folks can't do for themselves - that all black people "need" help from the whites. How freakin' insulting is that?!
It's the same thing when democrats say it's too difficult for blacks to get a photo ID to vote.

You need a photo ID to function in our society so one would think that those who claim they want to help struggling people better their lives -- would do everything they could to help those in need secure a valid ID. Not having a photo ID will hold you back.

A valid ID is needed to cash a check, apply for a marriage license, apply for a mortgage, take out student loans, get car insurance, buy a car, rent an apartment, buy alcohol, cigarettes, a gun, fly, get a credit card, take out home equity loans, leave the country, get back into the country, get life insurance, get home-owner's insurance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,851,904 times
What I get from this thread is some blacks just want to be apart from main society and create their own parallel black one. Like how BET advertises their programming, "our channel, our shows, etc." Reading the comments by bra and sha, at its core is a deep seated resentment against us-mainstream society of any color because the roots are based on "whiteness" and does not include being black as a special condiation.

Do you folks see that in any type of black focused political claim- there is something unique about being black which cannot be understood by others. Tribal. Reminds me of printed commentary regarding the Old South and their claim that they had a unique culture which others-Northerners were not capable of understanding. So these ungalvanized blacks of today are at the same level of social maturity as the white planter class of the 1850s.

At the conclusion of his book, Albion's Seed, David Hacket Fischer wrote that the modern american black retains many cultural elements of the old planter class. So I guess what we see now in blacks and their intransigence is similar to what Northern readers experienced 150years ago. No wonder slavery is still an issue with them. They have not moved forward in time.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:18 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You don't understand because you're not black. It's very common for black people to become "successful" and then start doing things to seperate themselves from other black people. When you're black, the last thing you want to be looked at as being some sort of silly thug. And that's an insecurity most black people have, no matter how successful they are. So what most black people try to do to separate themselves from "all other black people" is to engage the whole bashing black people game. And they'll use all sort of talking points like "well I didn't get on drugs", "I don't have 4 baby mama's", etc.

And for the most part it seems to make sense to do that, people of other races will see the guy as smart and positive. But there is an issue with this. That guy isn't doing anything any different than other black people. He's not the exception, he's usually the norm. And the other problem is, knowing that black people have an image problem, he's doing nothing but perpetuating it than fixing it.

You see, I use to be that type of black person. Who use to get in front of people of other races and bash black people. Now I have my criticism of black people, and I have no problems expressing it. But to pretend that most black people aren't trying to avoid drugs, or not going to school is asinine. And I realized that maybe I it's more of a challenge to actually provide solutions for black America, and understand the conditions.

I have soon found out that while definitely some of the media images of black people are definitely spot on. A lot of them are definitely fabricated, and there is a huge disconnet between the media's portrayal of black people and reality. Do such problems exists? Yeah they do. Are there issues with the way black people think? YES. A severe lack of understanding of finacials is a huge issue for black Americans. And a lack of black owned enterprises is another problem.

This is why black people should embrace libertarianism. Because only libertarianism is a philosophy built around fiscal independence. Black people need to be mindful of the market. I have worked with many black businesses, and there is just a severe lack of understanding of how economic works from these businesses. It's a hard task, but unless black people not only start businesses, but start enterprises, there will never be any financial indepdence in the black community.
This isn't what Shabazz is saying though. His/her objection is that the poster defined himself as an American first and a black man second.

But here's what I would suggest to you the next time you're trying to teach someone something. Spell it out as you did here. Leaving snarky three line posts doesn't teach, it alienates, and the poster isn't going to learn anything by them. If you had written out a thoughtful objection outlining what you said in your post here, it would have been different, and I doubt any of us would have objected.

My unsolicited .02 worth far less.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:40 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,596,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
it just seems a little odd that the 2 people who mocked him on this thread are both black as well. So that had me wondering why. maybe he's perceived as a "sell out" or that he's brainwashed by Republicans for going against BLM - and quite frankly, that's a load of crap.

the only thing it proves is that he wants to better his life and has critical thinking skills.
I disagree, he's not a critical thinker. And no he's not a "sell out" just ignorant. Like I said, it's one thing to sit back and bash people. It's another thing to solve problems. Anyone can bash and criticize. I consider myself a serial problem solver. And to me if a guy like him really offers nothing of any value, then his post is kind of pointless. But since you seem to support people like him, then ask him to sit back and draft up a a "plan". Most of biggest black critics can't.

The reason why I bash him is because not only have he decided to put himself on a high horse. But he doesn't deserve to be on the high horse. People like me could be on a high horse because I make more money than most black people, and most Americans for that matter. But I want people to be as successful as me, instead of using my success as an excuse to take on a smug attitude.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,596,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
What I get from this thread is some blacks just want to be apart from main society and create their own parallel black one. Like how BET advertises their programming, "our channel, our shows, etc." Reading the comments by bra and sha, at its core is a deep seated resentment against us-mainstream society of any color because the roots are based on "whiteness" and does not include being black as a special condiation.

BET isn't even black owned. So let that sink in for a second. Maybe the idea of black seperatism comes from people in power, than black people themselves. I've always theorized that black culture wasn't created by black people it was created FOR black people.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I disagree, he's not a critical thinker. And no he's not a "sell out" just ignorant. Like I said, it's one thing to sit back and bash people. It's another thing to solve problems. Anyone can bash and criticize. I consider myself a serial problem solver. And to me if a guy like him really offers nothing of any value, then his post is kind of pointless. But since you seem to support people like him, then ask him to sit back and draft up a a "plan". Most of biggest black critics can't.

The reason why I bash him is because not only have he decided to put himself on a high horse. But he doesn't deserve to be on the high horse. People like me could be on a high horse because I make more money than most black people, and most Americans for that matter. But I want people to be as successful as me, instead of using my success as an excuse to take on a smug attitude.
Such hubris

Old 08-03-2016, 09:48 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,965,303 times
Somehow it always comes down to money, free money.

The only thing BLM has done is put a price tag on black lives.

Slavery? When you start putting price tags on lives then what is that called? That is exactly what BLM is doing, putting a price on black lives.

Now, about that slavery...

Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
BET isn't even black owned. So let that sink in for a second. Maybe the idea of black seperatism comes from people in power, than black people themselves. I've always theorized that black culture wasn't created by black people it was created FOR black people.
I was not commenting on their ownership. At their markting towards their audience and sense of special exclusivness.

Hmm, interesting second part. In bold. Well worth an examination. Back to the indoctrination aspect which all societies do from top-down and bottom-up.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:16 AM

35,137 posts, read 17,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I just finished reading it, and I am truly appalled. As a black American, I have never supported BLM, and NEVER will support BLM. I would address every single last point of theirs individually, but I don't have the time nor will for it. My first day at my new job is early tomorrow, and I refuse to waste time on BLM that I could use on sleep. I will say three things, however:

1.) I would rather finish my BBA in Finance and graduate than receive reparations. I was not a slave, and I do not know any slaves/slaveowners. Also, I will make WAY more money in my lifetime working than the sum of all reparation payments they expect me to receive. Knowing how many black Americans there are and how broke the federal government is, the payments probably wouldn't be enough to cover the costs of my student loan payments coming up within the next two years.

2.) Instead of all the decriminalization/disinvestment that they call for, here's a novel idea: WHY NOT STOP COMMITTING CRIME? WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?!?!?!

3.) #BlackLivesMatter is the MOST hypocritical movement I have EVER witnessed and/or read about. How come they don't protest over the fact that Planned Parenthood takes more "black lives" than any other institution? Margaret Sanders was a proud eugenicist who wanted to use PP as a tool to exterminate black people, who she considered to be "human weeds". How come BLM doesn't protest the fact that I am more likely to be shot walking to class at Temple University in North Philadelphia by another black male, than I am with any encounter that I have with the police. How come BLM doesn't protest the fact that black high school graduation rates are so low, and that it is the fault of nobody but the student and/or the parent (or, in rare instances, the teacher)? BLM is a HUGE joke, and I laugh at them DAILY!

I am American before I am black, or anything else for that matter. #BlackLivesMatter does NOT represent me, as they seem to think that only the black lives of those shot by police officers (which are JUSTIFIED most of the time) matter. I would rather live in "racist white America" before I would live in the society as outlined by their demands.
Looks like someone received some good old fashion Republican brainwashing...
So you're saying that anyone who succeeds is either brainwashed by Republicans or, to use street vernacular, "talking white" (link)? Definition of "talking white" (link):

Talking White
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandictionary
verb.) An ignorant term used by ghetto acting/talking Black people who believe that just because you talk more properly and don't sound "ghetto" like them, you're automatically White. People like: Bill Cosby and Kanye West have talked about sounding White.
Day'Shannay: "Why you always talking White?"

Michelle: "So I don't sound ghetto like you."

Old 08-03-2016, 01:12 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,556,499 times
Black Lives Matter's real agenda - Washington Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies