Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 03:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My "rural area" has lots of jobs in banking, IT, manufacturing, tourism, food service, night club related jobs, radio, even movie production jobs.

What do you do that you can't do in a smallish town?

What use is your "rural area" to people who do not own a car?

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
You gonna give me the loan? Sounds pricey! I would do it though if I had the funds.
This one is actually fairly simple. There is an entire industry set up to provide the funding.

You write up a 1-page summary of the project from a financial perspective -- how much it will cost to buy the land, the professional services fees involved, the risks, and the like. You create a secondary detailed document supporting the 1 page summary.

You take them to any number of real estate funding consultants/brokers who take your summary and shop it to investment funds, pension funds, various banks, other sources of funds... and in short order you'll have money for the project.

This assumes, of course, that the project is financially viable.

You may discover you may need to raise the rent to generate enough cash flow to make the project profitable.

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Floor Plans of Centro Place Apts in Tampa, FL

That place is $780 a month. And I PROMISE YOU, that price quoted is a lie. I know, because I have done that same thing with a dozen rentals so far. You go in and the price per month finally quoted is closer to $900-1000. You go in and they say "oh, our rates haven't been updated. Its a little higher now", plus the fees attached and the price goes up way high. A place I went to last week that put a price of $650 on their website ended up being $850 when it came down to putting a signature anywhere. That $850 price was in a middle class suburb of Jacksonville, FL. I scouted out that city recently looking for cheaper rent because I had a job offer.

And the low end scale they quote on their website is no doubt a marketing scheme to get potential renters to come into the complex.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:45 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Got financial aid?

I work hard and my co-workers work hard and we have zero property to show for it.
So you work hard. So do people in labor camps. AND?

Working hard doesn't entitle you to anythingbexcept sweat.

Work smarter not harder. Before you say easier said than dine, darn right because anyone can dig a ditch but the smart one is the person telling you to dig.

Life is a hard lesson some people prefer to take their entire lives to learn.

Darn right the home owners got theirs. You're just upset you aren't being given what someone else earned.

You are in the easiest country to be something more than a ditch digger than any country the earth has ever known. People die trying to get here just tobhave the opportunities you were born with or have now.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:46 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Oh yeah. Post one. Remember to that the face rental price is but one piece of actually cost. You also have fees associated with rent, water, electric isn't included, as well as rental insurance. Whatever you see for the cost of rent you actually need to add about $200 additional things to it that people either can't rent or can't live without.
You moved the goal posts as you specifically said $1,000 rent for 1 bedroom apartment...you may need to move it more.

I can find plenty of $800 a month rents in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh, PA Apartments for Rent - 99 Rentals | Rent.com®

and Philly...

Philadelphia, PA Apartments for Rent - 190 Rentals | Rent.com®

and Cincy...

Cincinnati, OH Apartments for Rent - 229 Rentals | Rent.com®

and Dallas...

Dallas, TX Apartments for Rent - 298 Rentals | Rent.com®

etc....

Plus Craig's list is full of hidden gems

Old 08-18-2016, 03:46 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Once again, increasing supply does not always help. It can actually hurt those who do sell or decide to rent their homes. We owned and rented in a area where the market is OVERSATURATED and it makes it suck when you want to sell or rent your home.
I'm sorry, but people need roofs. I can't speak for where you lived but in metros across the country we need more supply.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Do you have a right to enter into a contract for housing with a willing property owner?

Why is it my fault I can't afford better housing? Why is it not government's fault for making housing unaffordable by not enforcing our borders and allowing millions of people into the country unlawfully?

Why is it not government's fault for not allowing property owners to rent me cheap crappy housing I can afford?
Its YOUR fault because all you do is complain about it.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:48 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Or we can increase the supply. Problem solved. We need more multi-family housing supply.
Who is "we"? You've already said you don't want to build any additional rental units, and neither do I, and apparently neither do the builders.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but people need roofs. I can't speak for where you lived but in metros across the country we need more supply.
Need? Then go out and build a house. Other people did it, you can't?

What you mean to say is you can't figure it out. That is your problem.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:49 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Got financial aid?

I work hard and my co-workers work hard and we have zero property to show for it.
Nope, he is now paying his own way. He works fast food, pays his bills and pays for college. If he can do it, why can't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies