Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:30 PM

1,327 posts, read 723,398 times

Advertisements

Boy, how about the oceans flooding the coasts? The Church of AGW is beyond laughable.

"Data doesn't lie." What data??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 04:30 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
If every liberal cut their energy use by 50% we would meet the goals with no need for government intervention.

We don't expect liberals to keep deer herds under control.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Eventually we're going to have to wean ourselves off fossil fuels, anyway, because they're finite. Ever hear of "peak oil"? Supplies don't last forever.
This can also be converted to liquid fuels, the section marked recoverable reserves is coal that is known to exist and can be mined feasibly using today's tech. Roughly it's a 150 to 200 year supply. As a practical matter it's an infinite source because the technology that will be both feasible and reliable will be developed in the meantime.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:32 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
What am I doing about it? As much as I can by recycling, not leaving lights on unnecessarily, etc. The real effort needs to come from big businesses, and they're not motivated to change - at least not yet.
In most cases recycling is more harmful ( less energy efficient) than not...and oh yeah I see in true liberal fashion you believe "the real effort" needs to come from someone else

Old 11-12-2016, 04:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
What am I doing about it? As much as I can by recycling, not leaving lights on unnecessarily, etc. The real effort needs to come from big businesses, and they're not motivated to change - at least not yet.
Business does need any incentive to cut costs.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
4.5 billion year-old planet.

5 billion species have existed.

Well over 99% of these species have gone extinct.

Now, time to screw in a low-wattage light bulb.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM

30,378 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Really the climate change promised when I was in college just hasn't happened. Also, since we are past the tipping point according to climate experts, what difference does it make at this point anyway?

I do support development of renewable non carbon based energy production but i do have a healthy dose of skepticism of people who make outlandish claims of Global Warming that often are disproven as well as the hucksters and corruption of the money allocated to them and whether it will be used remotely intelligently.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:57 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Climate change is real; it's happening now, but some people are just too stupid or willfully blind to see it. You've been sold a line of crap by big oil and the politicians who are in their pockets and always have been. Climate change deniers will only wake up when it's too late, when we've poisoned the environment beyond any reasonable hope of repair within our lifetimes. Try looking into the science of it sometime. It might be very illuminating.
That's right. We're going to poison everything. And isn't "denier" the weight rating of woven fabric? Global warming. LOL.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:16 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times
The liberal mantra on this issue has always been if you are skeptical, you are standing against science.
That is utter nonsense and an attempt to bully the conversation into ending before it can even begin.
Skepticism IS healthy science. The opposite of healthy science is dogma and absolutism and that's exactly what we have now.
From the beginning, it's been "the science is settled", " the debate is over" or "the 97% consensus".
There's been a concerted attempt to shut down any consent by painting anyone who dares ask questions as a science denier or an uneducated idiot. Typical response from liberals when their ideology gets questioned.

When you have BILLIONS of dollars every year budgeted for climate research predicated on the fact that there is this so-called imminent crisis just around the corner (it's been just around the corner for the last 25 odd years!) what do you think the odds are of blind, impartial science being conducted?

What do you think the odds are of getting any funding for science that might lead in a direction that says our models our wrong, that the sun is driving the climate or it's not as bad as we thought? Good luck with that!
You'd essentially be committing career suicide!

But if you tell everyone that the sky is falling and it's WORSE than we thought, then you are guaranteed attention and funding.

Liberals love to point out that big oil has corrupted science to it's own ends but doesn't seem to think it can be corrupted when it makes constant alarmist predictions year after year.

Before the age of wikileaks, in the climate community there was something called "climategate". Where the emails of climate researchers were hacked and posted online and you could read them colluding with each other to distort the science and damage the careers and reputation of any scientist who dared take a skeptical stance.

I think this (Trump's appointment) will be healthy for science in the end. REAL science, not liberal dogma dressed up as science.
I think we will also see there are more skeptics than we thought out there, just like the silent majority of Trump supporters and they won't be as afraid let the left drive the conversation on this any more.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:19 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Climate change is real; it's happening now, but some people are just too stupid or willfully blind to see it.
Climate change is real and is happening now. It's also been happening since the time the earth was formed. Man's influence is minimal at best. If we're to do anything, maybe we better look at building some more air conditioners and some sea walls. Because, you know, it's already "too late" to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies