Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 09:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You are aware that there is pretty strong evidence suggesting that the Native Americans (as we currently know them) were not the first in North America, right? Anyways, the Mexicans and Spaniards were warring against and killing Natives here long before Europeans were. Where is the outcry over that? Oh, there is none because they aren't "white", right?
Lol also NA tribes killed EACH OTHER all the time too. They were territorial and had their own wars. Because of how patronizing American schools largely are when teaching NA history, we generally grow up thinking that NAs were peaceful people in tune with nature who were innocently and intentionally killed off for no reason, and couldn't fight back. In reality they fought one another long before Europeans arrived and when Europeans did arrive, they were unaware people were living in this land already and sometimes were attacked first by Native Americans. In no way was what's now America a peaceful kumbaya type of place before the arrival of the terrible, terrible Europeans.

Native Americans even got involved in the French and Indian War (duh), allying with the European colonists, so they could fight with rival tribes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 09:52 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
They were trying to detonate explosives, isn't that terrorism?

Old 11-23-2016, 09:52 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't say that they didn't burn anything.
Who burned them? If you expect me to believe that dapl burned them then I hate to tell you that I'm not big on conspiracies.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Many of them have gone home though as the people in their states have demanded it and in some cases they have simply realized what they are doing is wrong.

Sheriff’s deputies from three Minnesota counties have left the front lines of the Dakota Access pipeline protest in North Dakota and are back in Minnesota, where hundreds of people last week objected to their involvement in helping to clear out demonstrators.

N.D. pipeline protest: Hennepin, Washington County officers return

There is a growing resistance to the out of control authoritarian government.
I'm glad Minnesota cops are back, but guess which state has sent the most? Indiana, and Pence had to green light this. The only other time this new deployment strategy has been used was the Baltimore riots, and this is far different than that. This is a blueprint for future unrest, and the force is completely inappropriate.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:00 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Lol also NA tribes killed EACH OTHER all the time too. They were territorial and had their own wars. Because of how patronizing American schools largely are when teaching NA history, we generally grow up thinking that NAs were peaceful people in tune with nature who were innocently and intentionally killed off for no reason, and couldn't fight back. In reality they fought one another long before Europeans arrived and when Europeans did arrive, they were unaware people were living in this land already and sometimes were attacked first by Native Americans. In no way was what's now America a peaceful kumbaya type of place before the arrival of the terrible, terrible Europeans.

Native Americans even got involved in the French and Indian War (duh), allying with the European colonists, so they could fight with rival tribes.
So F'n what? This does nothing to excuse the genocide they faced from European colonists. Wars between tribes happen everywhere in the world, from prehistoric times to today.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:19 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So F'n what? This does nothing to excuse the genocide they faced from European colonists. Wars between tribes happen everywhere in the world, from prehistoric times to today.
Did I say it has nothing to do with what happened after?

It goes directly to how many people are misinformed about Native Americans and how they lived prior to European contact.

And in case you didn't know, the "genocide" wasn't always intentional. The majority of NAs died from diseases they had never been in contact with prior to European colonization. Not all Europeans or later Americans even wanted animosity, some wanted to live peacefully. Before you bring up the "smallpox blankets" because many do, the Europeans actually traded supplies like the blankets innocently at first. They didn't know back then how diseases spread and didn't know that giving others the used blankets could make them sick. It's believed that when they started putting two and two together they continued the practice anyway but the reality is that most NAs died from contact with diseases they had no immunity to. This affected the Europeans as well.

The death of so many NAs was largely an unfortunate but natural consequence of conquering an area. The Europeans did not land here with the intention of finding all these people and killing them. They came here initially thinking it was unknown and uninhabited land - and at one point it probably was, prior to NA arrival, because they came from somewhere else as well. I think almost everyone can agree that some intentional practices to hurt or kill the natives were terrible but the overall intention was never to wipe out all these people. Even when the Americans offered them their reservations they still didn't want them DEAD. If the Europeans and then Americans really wanted a total genocide, they probably could have made it happen.

Places have been conquered and the previous residents killed all the time throughout history. It's what people used to do, in a way it's what people STILL do. I don't get too hung up on it or place so much bitter blame. It is what it is, we can't change it.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:22 AM

1,008 posts, read 487,439 times
I like my leftists served chilled.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You are aware that there is pretty strong evidence suggesting that the Native Americans (as we currently know them) were not the first in North America, right? Anyways, the Mexicans and Spaniards were warring against and killing Natives here long before Europeans were. Where is the outcry over that? Oh, there is none because they aren't "white", right?
Spaniards *are* Europeans.

Europe Interactive Map for Kids – Click and Learn «

Old 11-23-2016, 11:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Who burned them? If you expect me to believe that dapl burned them then I hate to tell you that I'm not big on conspiracies.
If you want to go back to the point I made, great. If not, oh well.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Soon more hopefully will take up arms like Bundy , exercise their 2nd Amendment rights to protect their other rights and then we will get somewhere.
That did not work out well at the Pine Ridge shootout in 1975. It's the primary reason protest organizers are so adamant about excluding firearms from the protest camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies