Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 12:56 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,725,931 times

Advertisements

You need to know that the DAPL and police are blatantly lying. The demonstrators are peaceful. It is the police who have opened fire on unarmed demonstrators. They have shot several people in the head with rubber bullets, which can cause blindness, concussion and death. They have used concussion grenades against unarmed protesters, causing critical injury in one case.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Vu4daGVTE/edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 01:04 AM

736 posts, read 354,634 times
Good it's about time. If the company owns the land and had proper papers to build the pipe, then they should be allow to continue construction. Protesters can protest, but they should not prevent continual construction of the pipe. If protesters obstruct construction of the pipe, then they should be remove by force.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:18 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,725,931 times
Pay attention. Those shots you hear being fired are not being fired by the demonstrators, they are being fired by police.

https://www.facebook.com/TYTpolitics...5/?pnref=story

Old 11-23-2016, 01:35 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,976,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Disgusting thing to do. Wonder what birther boy Trump will say now that it exposed that he is financially invested in the pipeline.
Trump didn't build the pipeline. He doesn't need to say anything because he's not president yet.
If you dig through your 401k, you'll probably find that you've got a vested interest in the pipeline.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:51 AM

30,351 posts, read 23,817,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Indian country in the northern plains is kind of like Faulkner's description of Mississippi: not only is the past not forgotten, it isn't even in the past. A lot of these folks remember that they were once a great nation. The Sioux were once one of the most powerful groups of tribes in North America. They were the last to be conquered and they haven't really accepted subjugation. Because of that they are probably the most politically engaged native group in the US, and if they feel like they are being pushed, they don't hesitate to push back.
I found this, and I think it explains their anger rather well:

Geography of Poverty Northwest | msnbc

Quote:
Through the 1950s and into the early 1960s, the U.S. government seized hundreds of thousands of acres of prime native American tribal land as part of an aggressive plan to build several dams along the Missouri River Basin, including a long stretch of the river in North and South Dakota that ran through the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation. As part of that program, known as the Pick-Sloan Plan, hundreds of Indian families from various tribes were forcibly relocated and their way of life completely destroyed. The staggering poverty that resulted from the program lives on across the Dakotas today.

...By the early 1960s, five large dams erected along the river inundated nearly 360,000 acres of land. One of the dams, the Oahe, flooded more than 200,000 acres on the Standing Rock Reservation and the Cheyenne River Reservation in South Dakota. Natural resources and wildlife along the river bottom were almost completely eradicated, including 90% of the tribes’ timber, which also served as cover for wildlife. The tribe used the wood to build shelters and hunted the animals that lived in the forests for food. The tribe was able to live largely outside of the dollars and cents economy because it was able to source much of what it needed right there in the wilderness.

Entire towns were destroyed. Sacred ground, including gravesites and other places of spiritual significance, were lost.

...Pick-Sloan has been heralded as one of the great engineering marvels, having harnessed the power of the Missouri River to convert it to usable energy. The project created vast economic opportunities for many along the river, including greater irrigation for farmers, expanded barge navigation and hydroelectric power.

But those affected most — the Native American tribes that dot the basin — benefited least. Their losses, in both economic and cultural assets, were a blow to an already beleaguered community still grappling for an economic foothold.

Such widespread loss meant the tribes developed a further dependence on the government. While the U.S. is bound by treaty obligations to protect Native rights and provide certain financial benefits to the tribes, often because of neglect, mismanagement and historic ill will, that relationship has often left tribes deeply vulnerable when it comes to economic, food and housing stability. That vulnerability, exacerbated by the impact of Pick-Sloan, continues today.

...The thriving oil industry on or near the state’s tribal lands has created a tense tug-of-war between big industry and the tribes, some of whom have opted to work with corporations in order to claim at least some of what those corporations are sucking out of the earth. At the same time, there’s concern over what many native environmental activists call a con game, where corporations use loopholes and the messy state of tribal and government relations to push further into native lands for oil exploration.
It's extremely long but quite informative...I suggest people on both sides of the debate read it. To sit there and call these people "childish" or "thugs" or drunkards, imply that they are leeches, or to call them "savages" really pisses me off.

How many times are we going to screw these people over? In 100 years, do we get to look back on this time with shame as we do now with the slaughter that we did when we first came to this country, where, coincidentally, we called them "savages" back then, too. It was our "justification" back then. Nothing changes, eh? The Trail of Tears, the Relocation Act, continually stealing their land...

As I said earlier, we have f-ed with NDNs enough. Just stop it.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:13 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,025,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
No. It IS exactly.

Unless you are native American, you are an immigrant.
Not this BS. I am not an immigrant. I am a third or fourth, depending on family lines, generation American who was born here.

I have news for you and your logic - Native Americans were immigrants, too.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:39 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,898,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I found this, and I think it explains their anger rather well:

Geography of Poverty Northwest | msnbc

It's extremely long but quite informative...I suggest people on both sides of the debate read it. To sit there and call these people "childish" or "thugs" or drunkards, imply that they are leeches, or to call them "savages" really pisses me off.

How many times are we going to screw these people over? In 100 years, do we get to look back on this time with shame as we do now with the slaughter that we did when we first came to this country, where, coincidentally, we called them "savages" back then, too. It was our "justification" back then. Nothing changes, eh? The Trail of Tears, the Relocation Act, continually stealing their land...

As I said earlier, we have f-ed with NDNs enough. Just stop it.
Well my birth city is my tribal land as far as I'm concerned. Many of my ancestors are buried in the area and not far. In just the few past years Obama transformed my area.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:53 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,259,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Pay attention. Those shots you hear being fired are not being fired by the demonstrators, they are being fired by police.

https://www.facebook.com/TYTpolitics...5/?pnref=story
Are you terminally full of crap? Red Fawn Fallis fired a .38 pistol at cops. Three rounds. Fortunately she is such a bad shot she missed and is charged with attempted murder of a police officer. 140 others where arrested.

So you pay attention.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,313,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's sad indeed, but they are making their voices heard, and the world is watching. The paramilitary forces arrayed against them have come from Indiana, Ohio, Minnesota and South Dakota, why in the world are they importing these paramilitary forces?
Many of them have gone home though as the people in their states have demanded it and in some cases they have simply realized what they are doing is wrong.

Sheriff’s deputies from three Minnesota counties have left the front lines of the Dakota Access pipeline protest in North Dakota and are back in Minnesota, where hundreds of people last week objected to their involvement in helping to clear out demonstrators.

N.D. pipeline protest: Hennepin, Washington County officers return

Quote:
Training for interstate conflict when it arises, and they are likely using this protest as a blueprint on how to deal with a restless population when more of us have had enough of being trampled on by corporations.
There is a growing resistance to the out of control authoritarian government.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,313,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Are you terminally full of crap? Red Fawn Fallis fired a .38 pistol at cops. Three rounds. Fortunately she is such a bad shot she missed and is charged with attempted murder of a police officer. 140 others where arrested.

So you pay attention.
Soon more hopefully will take up arms like Bundy , exercise their 2nd Amendment rights to protect their other rights and then we will get somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies