Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 06:59 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Totally false. Wanting stronger laws to keep guns out of the wrong hands is NOT the same as banning them, but we heard the same horse manure from the NRA and other anti-gun control groups when Obama was running for POTUS in 2008 and 2012. So, when did Obama take away all of our guns or the 10 thousand other conspiracies we heard over the past 8 years?
Check California laws, they are the left's plan for the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 07:12 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Totally false. Wanting stronger laws to keep guns out of the wrong hands is NOT the same as banning them,
If we can find a way to determine which hands are the "right hands," can those people own anything they want?

Old 11-27-2016, 07:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondutch View Post
Women propelling gun sales to all-time highs | kplr11.com

We must have the the most patriotic wonderful women on the face of the planet,

American women saw through All the media and Government propanganda and voted
to preserve our nation,

And save our Nation from a government assisted invasion of Muslims
as happened across all of Europe

These are strong women who realize that it is wise to protect themselves, their kids, and grandchildren
Maybe they need to protect themselves from those men who want to grab them by the ******
You know, the Trump supporters who think women are their property.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:37 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I have to say that shooting a firearm for the first time is a very exciting thing to some people, and I am not one of them. Shooting guns for the first time makes me anxious although I grew up with people who love guns (my grandparents, my parents, and my brothers) So when it comes to firearms, I am not a natural.. Both my brother and my best friend have a lot of guns, I guess some people just love guns.

I practice a lot because I don't want to lose control if I have to use it. (God please don't make me use it.)

I think the best and most responsible thing any prospective gun owner or shooter can do is take an NRA course.

Although guns still make me feel a bit anxious (nobody can really tell), I have to say that I am an okay shooter. I just don't know if I am capable of pulling the trigger if I have to. (God knows I really don't want to pull the trigger.) So practice practice practice for me.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:41 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondutch View Post
I second that, Gun safety is paramount,

Take a gun safety course before your first purchase.

Good point

Agree!

Old 11-27-2016, 09:18 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Sounds like a great course for CCW. Everything you say is in accord with what I have read and studied through the years by firearms and self defense experts such as Mas Ayoob.
Ayoobs LFI is a good school. Riding the top shelf. LFI, Thunder Ranch and such , if someone can afford them, are good choices. Unfortunately they aren't really geared toward the average citizen. Mainly because of cost and time to attend. However, if you look, courses like ours, which are both affordable and local can be found. Check with local shooting clubs that host competitions. Many also offer CCW instruction. Our course is run through our club. Ones who are affiliated with and sanctioned by associations like ICORE and/or IPSC/USPSA and other national groups usually have good instruction.

Before enrolling in a course it's a good idea to check it out. Examine the cjrriculum, instructors credentials, meet the I structors. The latter is a good tell. Posers are easy to spot if one knows what to look for. A total novice would be well served if they know someone who is experienced to help them find a class. Shake and bake courses and the poor instructors that go with them abound.

Other instructors from our course and I have attended numerous other courses in our area just to get the measure of them. So we know if their worth recommending if people ask about courses available in this area other than us. Instructors who blow their own horns about how much experience they have and who sling around a lot of "tactical" talk is a red flag. Good instructors don't put themselves on a pedastal. That intimidates students and makes the nervous. Nervous is bad.

Rule numerous one is that students need to feel comfortable with their instructors. This is especially important in beginner level classes. In the advanced courses when dealing with experienced shooters the "tactical" talk is ok. With beginners it's important to keep things simple and work up to operating under pressure when it's been assured students are comfortable. Someone who's feeling nervous and intimidated is an accident waiting to happen.

Anyone who's getting their CCW shouldn't skimp on training. A good way to start is if one has friends who are serious shooters who can take you to the range and just get some trigger time before taking a qualification course. Get comfortable with the chosen firearm in a non formal setting. The shooting community is plumb full of nice, helpful people. Happy to answer questions and get people started off right. Willing to share knowledge and experience without making new shooters feel like their out of their depth.

Everybody has to start somewhere. We were all beginners once. Good instructors remember that.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Maybe they need to protect themselves from those men who want to grab them by the ******
You know, the Trump supporters who think women are their property.
Have you listened to any Jay Z songs?

If what Trump said scares you, what Jay Z sings about should make you go into a coma of fear.

Read what Hillary's buddy Jay Z says:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...k1.TNWk7Y6tLMo

Does Hillary support such ideas?

Is she ignorant of what her friend sings or does she support it?

Old 11-27-2016, 09:34 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Trump's proposing bringing in thousands of Islamic male "refugees" to the US?
No the idiot Bush's and omoron did that. Somalians after the early 90s. Muslims from middle East under Bush and a hyperdrive of muslims under the divider in chief

Old 11-27-2016, 10:15 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Tell him loudly and firmly to stop. Move around to the other side of the car. Pull out your pepper spray. Start running. Dial 911. What's your current plan if you're attacked? Have you even thought of anything? I don't know, don't care.

I'm just saying you'd better do it while the guy is still 20 feet away--if he's gotten any closer it will be too late.
Ah yes. The much debated 20 foot rule. The thing to remember about its and many other "tactical rules" is that nothing is written in stone when it comes to violent encounters. It's a mistake to to become mired in rules. Rather akin to taking classroom booklearning as gospel against hands on experience. When it comes to self defense and violent encounters ,IMHO, it's best to remember there are no rules. Save one. That being never give up. Keep fighting and never give up.

I'm of the belief, my personal opinion mind, that binding oneself hard and fast to any particular "rule" is a potentially lethal limiting factor. If that rule becomes ingrained in someone's head it can cause brain lock that won't let you see beyond it. And there's always space beyond any rule that can be used to good effect. You can believe what this that or the other "rule" is supposed to be or you can believe in yourself.

When it comes to defending your life or more importantly (to me anyway) the life of loved ones there is no such thing as "to late" unless I'm stone dead. "Rules" be damned. As the saying goes, rules are made to be broken. When lives are on the line there are no rules. That's how I see it anyway. Others may feel differently.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:45 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ah yes. The much debated 20 foot rule. The thing to remember about its and many other "tactical rules" is that nothing is written in stone when it comes to violent encounters. It's a mistake to to become mired in rules. Rather akin to taking classroom booklearning as gospel against hands on experience. When it comes to self defense and violent encounters ,IMHO, it's best to remember there are no rules. Save one. That being never give up. Keep fighting and never give up.

I'm of the belief, my personal opinion mind, that binding oneself hard and fast to any particular "rule" is a potentially lethal limiting factor. If that rule becomes ingrained in someone's head it can cause brain lock that won't let you see beyond it. And there's always space beyond any rule that can be used to good effect. You can believe what this that or the other "rule" is supposed to be or you can believe in yourself.

When it comes to defending your life or more importantly (to me anyway) the life of loved ones there is no such thing as "to late" unless I'm stone dead. "Rules" be damned. As the saying goes, rules are made to be broken. When lives are on the line there are no rules. That's how I see it anyway. Others may feel differently.
Note, however, that I'm not talking to a fighter so your "rule" is invalid in this case.

I didn't state anything as a "rule," I pointed out a tactical factor: A man can cross 20 feet faster than most people can react. Most people don't realize that. My daughter took a women's self-defense course in which in the first session, the instructor used her as a "crash dummy" to prove that a young, strong man could cross 20 feet and toss her into a van before she could turn and run. Then he said, "Now, let's talk about what you can actually do to save your own life."

And my daughter does, now, shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies