Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:46 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
Thugs pick on Asian population more frequently because they are easy targets.
Is that so? Who would you say fits your description of "thug," in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 08:59 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well I remember having gun safety presentations in grade school in the early 70s. And hunter safety was offered as an extracurricular course in junior high and high school through the late 70s and early 80's in the town I grew up in. I finished HS in CA though and anything gun related was conspicuously absent in school there. Here we drove into s hooligans with rifles and shotguns in our truck racks. There was never any problems. I did that one time at the CA school and caused fair fits of apoplexy. I was just going hog hunting after school. Same kind of reason we brought our guns to school here.

Being young and not realizing I wasn't in NW NV anymore...lol silly me.
Hunter safety was a requirement in elementary/jr. high school in the 70's in Cali. I had to take it in 8th grade before I could go on to high school. But back then high school students had guns in racks in their trucks for hunting after school. My school was in northern cali and a farm town. LOL.

Last edited by redwood66; 11-26-2016 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 09:06 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Is that so?

Shoot first, ask questions later? Don't wait until you see the whites of their eyes?

Explain how that works on a crowded, noisy sidewalk, will you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Shoot someone before they do anything? Kill em because he got within 6 feet of her? Why did you shoot him m'am? He was 6 feet away and walking toward me asking for a light.
I'm pretty sure I never mentioned a firearm. What is your mind focused on?

<shrug>

You do what you think best for yourself.

The fact is that if you let the guy get close enough to touch you, you're pretty much defeated, and if he's within 20 feet, he's close enough to harm you before you can do anything about it. You figure out how you want to handle that.

Unless you're Scarlett Johanssen wearing black leather, of course.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Naw...

Like this.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:54 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The fact is that if you let the guy get close enough to touch you, you're pretty much defeated, and if he's within 20 feet, he's close enough to harm you before you can do anything about it.
So, if you aren't advocating the use of a firearm, how do you propose that people keep others 20 feet away?

Old 11-27-2016, 06:40 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
So, if you aren't advocating the use of a firearm, how do you propose that people keep others 20 feet away?
Tell him loudly and firmly to stop. Move around to the other side of the car. Pull out your pepper spray. Start running. Dial 911. What's your current plan if you're attacked? Have you even thought of anything? I don't know, don't care.

I'm just saying you'd better do it while the guy is still 20 feet away--if he's gotten any closer it will be too late.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:33 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Pistol packin' mama.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:33 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Well NV- YOU feel that way, and I respect you for it. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Maybe a bit of non lethal whoopass on the punks might be in order

But I admit I've seen here, in real life, and other forums/social media, where MANY gun owners DO act all badazz and omnipotent, talking all sorts of tough, only because they have their gun. I see it here plenty, but worse, I've seen/heard more in real life. More folks need to adopt your outlook on the issue, as that would cut down on the needless violence.
Yes, there are people who feel that all social conflict can be settled with a firearm. We've seen these types come into the CCW course I help instruct. They don't last long, or if they stay they receive and best accept a big dose of humility. Carrying a firearm does NOT in any way shape or form denote having the high ground in any and all conflict. What it does mean is that one is equipped to stand and deliver when the situation is lethal and calls for lethal means.

Mouthy punks and someone cutting you off on the road don't qualify. Even use of non lethal methods must be carefully considered. While the latter may not kill they still have the ability to cause considerable injury and the pain associated with that. Any means of self defense that you may use also comes with legal ramifications. Even if defending oneself is completely justified and nessecary if the cops get involved there will be an investigation and you had better be able to answer all the questions asked with I's and T's dotted and crossed.

The single best weapon we have at our disposal is our brain and ability to apply mind over matter. Someone very close to me had to use lethal means to defend herself from an attack and despite the fact that the creep had every I checked of what he got coming the aftermath,(the investigation and court proceedings were flat brutal) effects her quite adversely to this day. And me as well.

At any rate, in our CCW course we teach reality. Not Hollywood fantasy. We like to believe we are doing good works. We've seen many people be quite taken aback but what reality truly is as opposed to preconceived notions. Some accept it whilst we've seen some who leave in search of a course that serves their notions. Happily the latter are small in number. We've even had LE types that didn't stay for the full duration of the course, and anyone who bows out thus we are happy to refund their course fees. Carrying a lethal means of self defense, firearm or other , I will agree is not for every single person. Certain character qualities and mental abilities need to be present and even if those qualities are present they need to be well cultivated. There's always room for improvement even with people who are considered to be top in the field.

It's not easy to be armed. It shouldn't be. We like to see the course I work in (I'm an unpaid volunteer) as being as much about self improvement as self defense. We teach the "why" as much as the "how". That actions have consequences and that decisions should be made from an informed position. Bullets don't just go back in the barrel and this is the World, not a movie, where people recover from being involved in a violent encounter with nary a mark, either physical or phsycological. We have used scenes from various movies as prime examples of what NOT to do and also as examples of how things really arent.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:40 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yes, there are people who feel that all social conflict can be settled with a firearm. We've seen these types come into the CCW course I help instruct. They don't last long, or if they stay they receive and best accept a big dose of humility. Carrying a firearm does NOT in any way shape or form denote having the high ground in any and all conflict. What it does mean is that one is equipped to stand and deliver when the situation is lethal and calls for lethal means.

Mouthy punks and someone cutting you off on the road don't qualify. Even use of non lethal methods must be carefully considered. While the latter may not kill they still have the ability to cause considerable injury and the pain associated with that. Any means of self defense that you may use also comes with legal ramifications. Even if defending oneself is completely justified and nessecary if the cops get involved there will be an investigation and you had better be able to answer all the questions asked with I's and T's dotted and crossed.

The single best weapon we have at our disposal is our brain and ability to apply mind over matter. Someone very close to me had to use lethal means to defend herself from an attack and despite the fact that the creep had every I checked of what he got coming the aftermath,(the investigation and court proceedings were flat brutal) effects her quite adversely to this day. And me as well.

At any rate, in our CCW course we teach reality. Not Hollywood fantasy. We like to believe we are doing good works. We've seen many people be quite taken aback but what reality truly is as opposed to preconceived notions. Some accept it whilst we've seen some who leave in search of a course that serves their notions. Happily the latter are small in number. We've even had LE types that didn't stay for the full duration of the course, and anyone who bows out thus we are happy to refund their course fees. Carrying a lethal means of self defense, firearm or other , I will agree is not for every single person. Certain character qualities and mental abilities need to be present and even if those qualities are present they need to be well cultivated. There's always room for improvement even with people who are considered to be top in the field.

It's not easy to be armed. It shouldn't be. We like to see the course I work in (I'm an unpaid volunteer) as being as much about self improvement as self defense. We teach the "why" as much as the "how". That actions have consequences and that decisions should be made from an informed position. Bullets don't just go back in the barrel and this is the World, not a movie, where people recover from being involved in a violent encounter with nary a mark, either physical or phsycological. We have used scenes from various movies as prime examples of what NOT to do and also as examples of how things really arent.
Sounds like a great course for CCW. Everything you say is in accord with what I have read and studied through the years by firearms and self defense experts such as Mas Ayoob.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
In a Hillary America that Right would have been threatened.
Totally false. Wanting stronger laws to keep guns out of the wrong hands is NOT the same as banning them, but we heard the same horse manure from the NRA and other anti-gun control groups when Obama was running for POTUS in 2008 and 2012. So, when did Obama take away all of our guns or the 10 thousand other conspiracies we heard over the past 8 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies