Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 05:32 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trix09 View Post
the problem is many adults work these jobs now.
So what? That doesn't change what a job is worth. No matter how much liberals wish it would be true you can't pay someone $15 / hour if the job is only worth $10 / hour to the business. If you force a business to pay $15 / hour they WILL recover the difference one way or another. Prices will go up, jobs will be cut, they will hire people worth paying $15 / hour who are worth more to the business or they'll automate the task and eliminate the job completely and that's the path any business that can afford the R&D is taking. An adult working a minimum wage job doesn't change anything or magically make the job worth more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 05:34 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Go back and read my post's.
You just said no and disagreed with my posts. The only thing I can think of is you don't believe it saves time. I don't understand how you don't believe it though.

I walk into my Panera. There are 6 kiosks and 3 registers. Usually staffed by 2 cashiers when I'm there. Last time, there were maybe 5 people in line for the cashier so I go straight to a kiosk instead. I'm putting in my order the same time as the 1st person in the cashier line. The kitchen is making my order while the 2nd through 5th are still in line. Both the kiosk system and the cashier system feed orders into the same kitchen. The kitchen prepares orders based on when they are received.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:35 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post

1. That's garbage. Majority of those folks could've taken themselves to the military and had guaranteed jobs. With no need to commit crimes.

3. You really think that's the reason people don't support raising minimum wage? Smh. It's not. It's because people a bunch of people have busted their asses to get where they currently are, but people want increased wages for positions that damn near anyone can do. In addition, y'all keep overlooking the fact that the more y'all raise minimum wage, the more prices will rise for everything across the board. Let's take McDonalds. Remember there used to be a Dollar Menu? It slowly turned into the "Value Menu"? Now if everyone in the country is making at least $15/hr, what's to stop them from making McDoubles $5? Or making Big Macs $8?

1. Again, crime and poverty go hand-in-hand. Giving more people livable wages will decrease crime rates. And what in the U.S. is currently and historically always had a higher percentage of poverty than others. Blacks. Sorry you don't understand and you want to believe it's "their culture" or whatever bull**** you wanna read off a flash card, but less people in poverty=less crime. It's that simple. And only about 13% of the U.S. are veterans and live .4% are actually active duty. The vast majority of the U.S. didn't join the military either when there are down and out. Not everybody wants to go die or be homeless. We can find a middle ground.

2. So you understand that the price of things are going up but minimum wage hasn't, but can't understand why people would want the minimum wage to increase. Again STUPID. Even when people have pointed out that for McDonalds to pay their employees $15/hr they would only have to increase their prices by like $.30.

I'ma let you read this them you'll be ingored later on. Every post you make on this site is borderline racist or stupid.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:38 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Same at movie theaters now, went from a line of cashiers down to 2 and several kiosks. Soon enough it'll be online/kiosks only.
Same thing at CVS stores and Home Depots in my area. The difference in the lengths of line isn't as great there though . I just pick the shortest line, whether it be the kiosk or the human.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Keep in mind that the upper few percentage points of earners would have a disproportionately upward skewing effect on the average since the disparity between what someone working at McDonalds as a fry cook makes vs what the CEO of McDonalds makes is huge.

Assuming it is just a general average, one person working for $1000 an hour and 100 people working for $7.50 gives an average around $16 an hour even though 100 out of 101 people in the average make $7.50 per hour.
If you look at average wages it would but not if you look at median wages. Half of the people in the US are making more than $15 / hour. What do you think will happen if at the stroke of a pen no one was below $15 / hour? The half of the country already making more will want and deserve increases too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househ..._United_States individual incomes is about 1/2 way down the page. Unsurprisingly more education generally means more income.

But boiling down the entire US to one number is pointless. $15 / hour in Manhattan isn't at all comparable to $15 / hour in rural Kentucky.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Not everybody is trying to be the CEO of a fortune 500 company. There may be a guy out there somewhere who is content being a garbage man. Maybe that's the amount of stress he capable of handling and he just doesn't want to deal with higher up responsibilities. (no, this is not me). This is one of those things that many people just haven't thought about. Not everybody is out here trying to be ultra competitive and thinking about constantly stepping on people to move up and achieve "status". A lot of people just want to make a truly livable wage at the level they currently are at work.
There's nothing wrong with being satisfied with your job, but if that job happens to be a minimum wage job that virtually anyone with a pulse could do don't expect it to be enough for a very comfortable lifestyle.

A minimum wage job is NEVER going to be enough to really support a family on and no one should expect it would, it's minimum literally the least someone can legally be paid. People on the bottom rung of the economic ladder should expect to have to share rent with someone else on the bottom rung, they might only be able to afford to rent a room somewhere, they certainly shouldn't ever expect to raise a family and buy a house etc on it.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Believe it or not though a lot of people will not frequent a place where it does not have human beings taking their order. People don't need fast food and if they find they are not getting good service aka a computer screen they will go elsewhere that has employees to take their order. Millennials mostly like kiosks and anything related to computers, phones etc.. so they don't care. The 10s of millions of baby boomers and gen x-ers like me care more about human interaction when dining out over using a computer.

That's fair enough, but you'll pay a premium for that human touch.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
2. So you understand that the price of things are going up but minimum wage hasn't, but can't understand why people would want the minimum wage to increase. Again STUPID. Even when people have pointed out that for McDonalds to pay their employees $15/hr they would only have to increase their prices by like $.30.

This is false, these very low numbers only account for the labor rates of those making minimum wage at the restaurant. There is much larger chain of employees involved with getting that burger into your hand whether it's the person driving trucks, working the fields or in the meat processing plant.

All of their wages necessarily increase whether they are making $7.50 an hour or $50 an hour. Anyone making $15 or more now and does not see substantial increase has effectively taken a pay cut.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:55 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
Seattle Minimum Wage Experiment is Over

With Seattle raising minimum wages in 2016 to $10.50 to $13 (depending on the size and type of business), some analysts predicted jobs would be cut and unemployment would go up. They were wrong: what actually happened is that hiring increased and unemployment fell:

"The unemployment rate in the city of Seattle – the tip of the spear when it comes to minimum wage experiments – has now hit a new cycle low of 3.4%, as the city continues to thrive. I’m not sure what else there is to say at this point. The doomsayers were wrong. The sky has not fallen. The restaurant business, by all accounts, is booming..."

When low wage workers are paid more, they have more money to spend. Local businesses see more traffic, revenue and sales. To meet the demand they hire up.

Red states still stuck at $7.50/hr would be wise to follow Seattle's lead and raise the minimum wage. They will be pleased with the result.

Seattle Minimum Wage Experiment is Over - The Big Picture

Old 12-01-2016, 08:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Seattle Minimum Wage Experiment is Over

With Seattle raising minimum wages in 2016 to $10.50 to $13 (depending on the size and type of business), some analysts predicted jobs would be cut and unemployment would go up. They were wrong: what actually happened is that hiring increased and unemployment fell:

"The unemployment rate in the city of Seattle – the tip of the spear when it comes to minimum wage experiments – has now hit a new cycle low of 3.4%, as the city continues to thrive. I’m not sure what else there is to say at this point. The doomsayers were wrong. The sky has not fallen. The restaurant business, by all accounts, is booming..."

When low wage workers are paid more, they have more money to spend. Local businesses see more traffic, revenue and sales. To meet the demand they hire up.

Red states still stuck at $7.50/hr would be wise to follow Seattle's lead and raise the minimum wage. They will be pleased with the result.

Seattle Minimum Wage Experiment is Over - The Big Picture
Seattle has a pretty high COL, correct? I imagine most places were paying somewhere in this range anyway in order to attract even low skill employees. If a local municipality wants to raise their minimum wage to be commensurate with the prevailing cost of living, sounds good. Seems to be the best way to deal with the minimum wage issue. Federal minimum wage makes no sense, however, because the COL in a small town in Mississippi is going to be vastly different than that of Boston, for example. Why not leave it to local government to make the best decisions for their citizens? Of note, that's actually what most conservatives believe - keep the government as close to the citizen as possible with much less centralized power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies