Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Im all for it, I think we need an express lane, maybe two or three at the same time.

need to have it for more crimes, like any crime with a gun, even if your partner holding the only gun.

rape, tax evading, driving with turn signal on, 20 mph over speed limit, any sentence over 20 years.

people want you to sit in a cell all your life and think about it, hell no you got twenty minutes then we pull the plug
It would free up the highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:59 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
while i recognize the fact that there are innocent people in prison, and on death row, and that we do need to do our bet to prevent situations like that, the fact is that the people on death row committed, or were convicted, crimes like murder that warrant the death penalty.
Your statement is incorrect. No crime deserves a revenge murder.

Quote:
this is not murder
Of course it's murder. you can't change the definition to fit a tweisted agenda.

Quote:
but rather punishment. the person in question for instance beat a clerk and then shot him to death. where was the compassion by the criminal for the clerk?
What does the criminals lack of passion have to do with a revenge murder?

Quote:
why are some of you standing up for the criminal in question?
We're not. That's just you you refusing to get it. We're standing up for the rights of the individual, property rights.

Quote:
HE MURDERED AN INNOCENT PERSON. he deserves to die,
No he doesn't. It's no ones call who gets to live or die except your own life that you own. You don't own the criminals life.

Quote:
and in my opinion not in a so called civilized manner either.
Understood acting uncivilized is okay if you do it.

Quote:
personally i think he should have been put to death in a similar manner to the way he KILLED the clerk. he should have been pistol whipped, and then shot to death. instead he got off easy with lethal injection.
Good to see you acting civilized.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:33 PM

649 posts, read 316,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That is your opinion. Mine is different.
You wouldn't kill some raving manic that was attempting to rape & murder your 9 year old daughter ?

Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You made that up

One doesn't have anything remotely related to the other. Revenge killing isn't something a civilized society does.
It's not a matter of "revenge." It's complete and total offender rehabilitation.

Allow me to present the thoughts of a person who has undergone this rehabilitation:

"Hello. My name is Theodore Bundy. You may remember me as an American serial killer, kidnapper and rapist. I confessed to 30 homicides in seven states occurring from 1974 through 1978. The actual number of homicides for which I was responsible may never be known for certain. I was executed in January, 1989, for my crimes.

"I would like to take this opportunity to address myself to those of you who erroneously believe that the death penalty is not a deterrent to crime.

"It has been over 27 years since my execution. During that time, I haven't committed crime one.

"Not even a misdemeanor. Not even so much as a traffic offense. My rehabilitation is total and complete.

"It worked for me. It will work for you, too."

Thank you, Mr. Bundy, for that moving and persuasive testimonial.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Execution in Alabama: Inmate heaves, coughs after lethal injection; state's history of death penalty issues | AL.com

Note, while its not clear if the man was actually conscious during this fit (could've been involuntary spasms in reaction to the drugs that happened when man was unconscious), I refuse to get worked up over the possibility that a murderous maniac felt pain during his execution.
Did you make this post just so you could announce that you don't care? Why, exactly?

To this point, I strongly oppose the death penalty. I think giving the state the authority to end a person's life as punishment is absurdly dangerous. But, with that said, I more so strongly oppose the concept of lethal injection as a means of execution over others that I do about the issue of execution in general. The logic behind the lethal injection is that it's cleaner and more humane, but instances like this have happened before, and frankly, it's clealry not more humane. Some think that's good, though it's prudent to note that the constitution clearly outlaws inhumane (cruel and unusual) punishment.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:51 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Here's hoping that the same fate awaits Dylan Roof.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I've only studied one case where an innocent person was executed in modern times, and he essentially committed suicide.
Who was that?

Old 12-17-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Not proud. However, I will not be shedding a tear if Dylan Roof gets the death penalty followed by a speedy execution.
Ha! I posted mine before reading the thread. Great minds think alike.

I am not really much of a fan of the death penalty, but some cases just scream for it. No one has ever denied Roof's guilt. He did it, and doesn't even seem remorseful about it. He deserves it for sure. It's just too bad that if he ends up with a death sentence, he won't be in the general prison population. I'm sure there are people in there who would love a chance take him out like they did with Jeffrey Dahmer.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:17 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
Most innocent persons on death row aren't innocent at all. A few weeks ago I saw a story about a guy wrongly convicted and years later, was set free. He was wrongly convicted only because his lawyer forgot to do something or other. He was NOT an innocent man.

The bleeding hearts who yelp and bellyache about the so-called innocence of death row inmates are overlooking or ignoring the whole story.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:55 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Here's hoping that the same fate awaits Dylan Roof.
Amen to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies