Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,981 times

Advertisements

We had to pay for this Ahole to live for 22 years before the execution? That's the REAL crime here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I've only studied one case where an innocent person was executed in modern times, and he essentially committed suicide.
The Innocent and the Death Penalty - Innocence Project Innocence Project

The Cases & Exoneree Profiles - Innocence Project Innocence Project

One innocent death is too much. The death penalty must be abolished forever.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Fixed it for ya.
One, its against TOS to change people's quotes.

Two, the bull**** you fixed it with doesn't answer the issue that the government is totally hypocritical when it comes to meting out the DP. Do your research and get back to me.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
That's why we have the justice system. Plus such a thing is actually rare.

Actually its not the case. In fact if a person is on death row there more chance of him being let free than those on life without parol. The death row is incentive to find evidence.
Innocence Project - Help us put an end to wrongful convictions! Innocence Project

I'd suggest you do your research on how many innocent people are sitting in our prisons.

Also, please research for-profit prisons and how they've affected our justice system. I don't believe your last statement. Please provide proof.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Savage View Post
You wouldn't kill some raving manic that was attempting to rape & murder your 9 year old daughter ?
That is called self defense.

We are talking about the death penalty administered by a government. Two totally different things.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:43 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
This is just my opinion and also, couple of questions.

The death penalty will result in the killings of innocents. This is true - any sort of criminal justice system, no matter how favorable to defendants, will invariably convict innocents some time.

Personally, it's not clear to me why it's a horrible thing for the government to kill innocents, but not so horrible for it to imprison and torture them.

It's argued that the death penalty is final in a way that other punishments are not - theoretically, an innocent convicted of life in prison could be acquitted after being imprisoned. Practically, however, convicted defendants are very highly unlikely to be acquitted with new evidence; criminal defendants tend to be poor, prison is not a great place to file an appeal, and there are lots of procedural hurdles.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
It's not a matter of "revenge." It's complete and total offender rehabilitation.

Allow me to present the thoughts of a person who has undergone this rehabilitation:

"Hello. My name is Theodore Bundy. You may remember me as an American serial killer, kidnapper and rapist. I confessed to 30 homicides in seven states occurring from 1974 through 1978. The actual number of homicides for which I was responsible may never be known for certain. I was executed in January, 1989, for my crimes.

"I would like to take this opportunity to address myself to those of you who erroneously believe that the death penalty is not a deterrent to crime.

"It has been over 27 years since my execution. During that time, I haven't committed crime one.

"Not even a misdemeanor. Not even so much as a traffic offense. My rehabilitation is total and complete.

"It worked for me. It will work for you, too."

Thank you, Mr. Bundy, for that moving and persuasive testimonial.
Nope. He should be in prison for life. Death is not a punishment to the guilty.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Here's hoping that the same fate awaits Dylan Roof.
I hope he gets life in prison. That's a true punishment.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Most innocent persons on death row aren't innocent at all. A few weeks ago I saw a story about a guy wrongly convicted and years later, was set free. He was wrongly convicted only because his lawyer forgot to do something or other. He was NOT an innocent man.

The bleeding hearts who yelp and bellyache about the so-called innocence of death row inmates are overlooking or ignoring the whole story.
The onus is on the state to prove guilt. If they fail to do so due to lack of evidence, prosecutor or defense misconduct, or legal errors, that is the state's fault. We shouldn't make it easy to put people in jail for years without adhering to strict procedures.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is just my opinion and also, couple of questions.

The death penalty will result in the killings of innocents. This is true - any sort of criminal justice system, no matter how favorable to defendants, will invariably convict innocents some time.

Personally, it's not clear to me why it's a horrible thing for the government to kill innocents, but not so horrible for it to imprison and torture them.

It's argued that the death penalty is final in a way that other punishments are not - theoretically, an innocent convicted of life in prison could be acquitted after being imprisoned. Practically, however, convicted defendants are very highly unlikely to be acquitted with new evidence; criminal defendants tend to be poor, prison is not a great place to file an appeal, and there are lots of procedural hurdles.
Both are horrible. That is why I support organizations like The Innocence Project and other groups that work tirelessly to free the innocent and shine a light on the ills of our justice system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies