Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:48 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Says bleeding heart liberals and ethnocentrics.
I'll take "Strawman" for $200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 05:24 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'll take "Strawman" for $200.

What's that supposed to mean?

Old 12-22-2016, 06:35 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Well again I said I don't care if is happened organically. The problem as always is double standards. Spanish is essentially receiving a subsidy. Though if Anglo America has no will to exist, then by all means go extinct. As much I as prefer Western Liberalism , Scottish enlightenment etc, without a will there is no way. Spanish authoritarianism is better than the Shakers whose psychotic religion propelled them to extinction. Seems like this illness remains. You can delight in the fact the the world will suffer without the Protestant work ethic , egalitarianism, and altruism that exists within it. They will know and record it. At the current rate, Anglo America seem to ripe to embrace Islam . Hey, Spain has a winning record against them at least . Better them than the alternative.
The pushback against at least Islam and Spanish IS getting stronger and stronger; at least if talking Islamist pigs and Hispanic illegal aliens. What happened in Berlin a few days ago pissed off a LOT of people, especially since the "Muslim" terrorist who committed that crime's an illegal alien.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:57 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think it's great when people don't give up their native language and still teach it to their kids. Babies are very good at picking up languages. Do it early and we'd have bilingual people all over the place.

Other countries embrace knowing more than one language. Why is this seen as a bad thing in the US?

We don't even have an official language here. I think that is a good thing, btw.
Americans, Brits, Canadians, Irish, Australians and New Zealanders speak the global language and therefore have no pressing need to learn a second one. They can put in the time to learn one if they choose, but enjoy the luxury of being able to devote that time to other things. This is an extremely advantageous situation to be in.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:17 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,190 times
I've still heard German spoken at the local Lutheran church I attend. Occasionally they even have a German language service.

Just a few days ago I heard Russian spoken at a local target.

If anything, Florida is becoming multilingual. Spanish is not dying out here. Any place that has a lot of international tourists or trade is probably going to retain bilingual speakers.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:55 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
As an outside non-American observer but with a keen eye for such things, I have to say that, as I was expecting the parts of the U.S. with many Hispanics to be very bilingual or even Spanish dominant, what has been surprising to me is that places like Miami, South Texas, etc. have actually been *less* Spanish and *more* English than I expected them to be.

Though I've also been surprised by the amount of Spanish I casually overhear in the middle and northern tier of the U.S. (More than I expected.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies