Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times

Advertisements

Well, here is a topic I am in agreement with Trump on. The anti-competitive price fixing and gouging going on in the pharm industry needs to stop. At some point someone has to look at the (n * 1000%) mark ups relative to the price of production and say enough is enough.

They get away with it because:
A) We let them
B) They have artificially locked out competitive bidding through lobbying over the past decades
C) They have a captive market for the drugs
D) Demand is driven by the will to survive (there can be no stronger demand)

When you look at a drug people need to survive and see numbers like 15,000% mark up vs cost of production, I don't know how anyone could say it is not a predatory practice. The costs are acting as a giant millstone around the neck of the entire US medical and medical insurance industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 12:59 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,332 times
The only thing I can say positive is atleast McConnell let the amendment go to the floor for a vote. But I hope Cruz and Paul rip their colleagues a new one for voting against it. And you wonder why health insurance premiums are skyrocketing. I've had it with these idiots in Congress.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:00 PM

35,708 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course we want this! Let the drug companies compete and force them to lower prices. They are getting away with murder. Enough of the big money corruption.

I HATE- detest -and abhor meds- that is a given-- I take ONLY what I must, and to be honest, I get very ill with a lot of them- they send me to the ER-- so I am NOT pro pharma-
They and the insurance companies are BIG TIME THIEVES - but transport from Canada better? I am not sure how they regulate. I know I brought back antibiotics from Cancun one year, they like gum at the local bodega- but I think its more than just that. As I said, more to follow, we don't have the full picture. as many nurse I do know, say- weed will cure a lot- because stress is a killer

Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
The entire medical industry including pharmaceuticals and insurance needs to be railed back to reality and quickly, doing whatever it takes including going to national health care if necessary. They got away with making health care beyond the reach of average Americans. Enough is enough. When people have to pay more in health insurance than they pay for their mortgage it's beyond out of control. When people have to file bankruptcy just to meet their deductibles if they become very ill, it's beyond absurd. How did it ever get this way?

Old 01-12-2017, 01:20 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
The Dems voted against because Obama has been proactive in changing ACA for the better. They will drive over the cliff for the sake of power and money! Very said day again, for the DNC!

Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The entire medical industry including pharmaceuticals and insurance needs to be railed back to reality and quickly, doing whatever it takes including going to national health care if necessary. They got away with making health care beyond the reach of average Americans. Enough is enough. When people have to pay more in health insurance than they pay for their mortgage it's beyond out of control. When people have to file bankruptcy just to meet their deductibles if they become very ill, it's beyond absurd. How did it ever get this way?
The people need to bring the heat to these members of Congress so they see the light. People need to get informed about what they are doing. Organize and protest. When the people show up, they win. Protests are being held on the 15th.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:27 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
There is strong support among the American people to reduce prescription drug prices. But puppets in the pockets of big pharma dont like it.

For Some Reason, Cory Booker and 12 Other Dems Killed a Bill That Would Lower Drug Prices*

The people who voted against the will of the people:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...2ygisaecgx.png
The other day Trump said he would work to get the pharm industry to "negotiate " prices with the fed.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
This was presented by Sanders. I noted this in the Paul ACA replacement thread. Like I said then, screw them all.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:34 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The other day Trump said he would work to get the pharm industry to "negotiate " prices with the fed.
Will we hold Trump accountable? The Senate has already struck it down. What will Trump do? Take the issue directly to the American people to bring heat to the senators so they see the light?

These are the senators that killed it. Do you see yours?

Old 01-12-2017, 01:37 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Will we hold Trump accountable? The Senate has already struck it down. What will Trump do? Take the issue directly to the American people to bring heat to the senators so they see the light?

These are the senators that killed it. Do you see yours?

Trump isn't in the White House yet and I don't think we've seen the last of this issue by a long shot. I don't think Trump will let it go. He'll apply pressure where needed hopefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies