Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you actually believe that Trump will make "America great again?"
Yes, ofcourse! 88 36.67%
No. Just no. 152 63.33%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:00 PM

8,398 posts, read 4,395,180 times

Advertisements

Trump is a farce. The longer he stays in the lime light, more people realize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Status: "Louisiana-bound in a few days!" (set 21 hours ago)

52,731 posts, read 48,059,849 times
We've got some surprising poll numbers. Thought it'd be the other way around.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:05 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,724,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
We've got some surprising poll numbers. Thought it'd be the other way around.

LOL, not me.I am surprised it reads what it does.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:06 PM

30,909 posts, read 37,051,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
America has always been great!
Several people have said this....but I really don't think America is so great any more. I'm not saying we're not better than a lot of--or even most--countries....but lets look at ourselves in the mirror. We're really not doing so hot. We've been coasting on the laurels of our ancestors for the last 35 years or so and the momentum from that is running out.

--Our schools suck (always at the bottom compared to other developed countries)
--Our general health sucks (see obesity rates).
--Our relationships suck (divorce rates, children born out of wedlock...and people who think kids having no dad or only a marginally attached one is no big deal).
--Our government is corrupt as hell.
--Our so-called democracy was hijacked at least 50 years ago (has happened in other countries, too, I admit.)
--More and more people seem to have a "What can my country do for me?" attitude, the antithesis of what JFK spoke of.
--We have a very divided population who can't seem to agree on anything...just how the oligarchs who rule over us want it. In theory, some people understand this, but in practice most people resort back to cheering on the "red team vs. the blue team".

Yes, our economy is still a bit more resilient and innovative than a lot of other developed countries, but most of their economies have been on the same slumping trajectory as ours. So we're sort of the best house on a bad block...so sort of a low bar there.

None of the above looks like greatness to me.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:10 PM

30,909 posts, read 37,051,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think he's latched on to the sentiment people have to want to make America great again. Will he follow through and listen to his supporters who want to make it great again and turn things around? We can hope but its way too early.
Obama made a lot of promises and then abandoned nearly all of them them.
The problem is the people of America have different ideas of what greatness looks like. It seems like we can't even agree that the sky is blue anymore.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:18 PM

8,316 posts, read 3,951,550 times
I won't participate in this poll because the propaganda mantra "let's make American Great again" is fallacious. As has been said about a million times, but still remains true - America never stopped being great. Just more of the spin we get continuously from the truth detesting right wingers.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:41 PM

55 posts, read 31,167 times
I look at Trump this way.. he was not a corrupt politician.. but Trump was a corrupter. He just bypassed politicians to take the highest office for himself and now is opening the doors to other corrupters to run this country without the middle man (the politicians they donate to) as a go between. We will eventually get what we need and where we need this country to be out of his Presidency, but NOT in the way that Trumpettes and Trumpers think we will. Most of the good that will happen will happen NOT because of Trumps policy - but when he decimates the poor, the middle class and the lower middle class with his bad policy ideas and puts us on the brink of , well destruction, the people will FINALLY get the government they need. That is , if he doesn't create a WW3 scenario ; very possible with his talks of pulling out of Nato and his praise for ill conceived exist from the EU. (NATO is not perfect, but it is a body for which countries can talk it out and hold each other accountable and has worked thus far. It was created to stop things like Hitler invading other countries unanswered. The EU has fostered a cooperation in Europe that is positive and prevented war. Dismantling both or either will lead to more misunderstandings, no one to answer to etc. This is how WW3 starts)

Governing is not the problem. Corruption is. We need to purify governance. If you want to serve the American people in office, you need to actually SERVE. When we ask the military to serve, they are basically owned by the government. They are provided housing and clothing, with no ties to the outside world financially or otherwise. They go where they are asked; no questions. They even need permission to marry. Why do we not ask the same or similar of the men and woman that make the decisions that decides the direction of our country?

Yes, be elected to your position. .. BUT while you're in office you need to divest any and all interest in any industry, business or endeavor entirely.. and that should carry over for a few years AFTER your service is over (like 5 years, 10 years.. ). Truly serve for the purpose of doing whats right for the nation, without any thought to how it effects your pocketbook personally- retirement accounts, business investments.. PURIFY governance so that it can't be corrupted so easily . And that includes removing money from the election process. Reward those that serve with something so that they don't need those investments in the stock market.

Trump is DEFINITELY NOT THAT. Every decision he makes we will question because he is so invested in his international business- he is continuing to own interest in it. His cozy relationship with Russia is a prime example. He has personal financial ties to them with his business and all to that country. So is he acting in our best interest or in his own?
We are entering a dark time and there will be light at the end of it , but not before there is suffering. The poor, the lower middle class and the middle class will suffer the most... and I hope we all make it.. Too bad we can't just learn from our history and bring about necessary change without the pain and suffering.. Some of us see it.. and are serving to warn everyone.. but no one wants to listen.

THIS is why I laid in bed all the next day after the election in tears inconsolable. I'm not a sore looser ( I didn't cry when Gore lost even though I so badly wanted him to win).. but this is different folks.. very different... and many of us are feeling it.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 PM

8,524 posts, read 6,943,162 times
Russia maybe. Not so sure about America.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:52 PM
exm

3,738 posts, read 1,796,771 times
Trump has a totally different approach compared to any politician running for President in our history. Forget about the sore losers on the left for a minute.

To me, a Trump Administration can be an overwhelming success or a great failure (with most of his cabinet members resigning) and I feel there's no real middle ground. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, and I don't think we can do much worse compared to the last 8 years of mediocrity at best.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,421,085 times
Going to be tough to make America great again when from the get go you got half the people hating the other half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies