Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 07:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,120,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why aren't they funding PP, domestic violence shelters, etc., right here in the US?
This is something I've always wondered. Given there are really,really poor families and kids going hungry in Appalachia, not far from where the Judd's grew up why is Ashley sending funds outside of our country instead of helping her fellow countryman.

There are many people in this country in need and yet all these celebrities can do is point to other countries.
Self aggrandizement and self loathing plain and simple...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 AM

6,423 posts, read 1,468,608 times
Now this is my type of woman that started this thread. God Bless you ma'am.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 AM

89,642 posts, read 45,254,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
LOL. But look, you weren't there and you can't stop ranting and raving about it!
It's your right and your choice to believe that selfishly spending money on oneself to participate in an ineffective (and now even criticized by minorities and transgenders as bigoted and sexist) narcissistic self-indulgent temper tantrum march is a better use of one's money than donating to domestic violence shelters, food pantries, PP, etc.

But think very carefully about what that says about you.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:35 AM

18,646 posts, read 18,922,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
This is something I've always wondered. Given there are really,really poor families and kids going hungry in Appalachia, not far from where the Judd's grew up why is Ashley sending funds outside of our country instead of helping her fellow countryman.

There are many people in this country in need and yet all these celebrities can do is point to other countries.
Self aggrandizement and self loathing plain and simple...
She gets more coverage for helping out further afield to poorer people.. thats it, its all her.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,120,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Three million women at the marches and you summed them up in one ridiculous and unfounded rant. Nice job.
So now it's 3 million? Can you prove that statement with actual FACTS or is it just more B.S. like the march was?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:40 AM

25,843 posts, read 20,789,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Here's another one that doesn't think women are capable of doing more than one thing with their lives, or that puts forth the false equivalency that if for example you bought an iPhone (or a pair of shoes, or got a haircut) you're incapable of doing anything worthwhile.

People who were bothered enough to go to the March (worldwide mind you) are generally the kind of people who are active in their communities.

There is more than one worthy cause and there are many ways to skin the proverbial um, kitty.
It's ridiculous isn't it?

I suspect that there is a chain email or something going around providing them with this particular talking point.
The verbiage seems way too similar in each of these posts for there not to be someone directing this traffic.

The one thing I keep wondering is how do these same people feel about people who work hard day in and day out taking a week's worth of vacation.
Do you suppose that we have their permission to then spend our own money how we see fit?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Why aren't they funding PP, domestic violence shelters, etc., right here in the US?
Why isn't World Vision?

Do you ever see any poor American children in those commercials?

This is an interesting topic for discussion that perhaps could do with it's own thread.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,663,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Here's another one that doesn't think women are capable of doing more than one thing with their lives, or that puts forth the false equivalency that if for example you bought an iPhone (or a pair of shoes, or got a haircut) you're incapable of doing anything worthwhile.

People who were bothered enough to go to the March (worldwide mind you) are generally the kind of people who are active in their communities.

There is more than one worthy cause and there are many ways to skin the proverbial um, kitty.
I didn't say all, "kitty", I said that some people are active in their communities.

However, the ones I know on my personal page who went.. AREN'T active. Just re-post BS on their FB walls. Are you sure "everyone" who went to the march are active in their community? How do you know? The kind of people I know who went were more interested in Snapchatting the fact that they went than anything else.

If you want to march, take action and do something. Don't complain without a solution. Like I said, the people I saw attacked others, yet go back to normal life and complain about petty stuff.

Some of those people who went, I'm sure, are very active and make it a big part of their lives. But the rest just need to go somewhere and sit down.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
You think suggesting actually doing something useful and helpful like donating to a domestic violence shelter instead of selfishly wasting money on oneself to be in an unfocused and ineffective temper tantrum march is "having a meltdown?" I'll be sure to let the women and kids in dire need of help that you believe so. /SMH
Do you ever take a personal vacation?

Selfish no?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 AM

51,735 posts, read 26,026,840 times
A hundred years ago, women marched for the vote. There were women who thought they were "vulgar, disgusting, unwomanly..." We got the vote.

Fifty years ago, women marched for equal rights. There were women who thought they were "vulgar, disgusting, unwomanly..." ERA didn't pass but things got a lot better for women.

Now we're marching again. There are women who think we are "vulgar, disgusting, unwomanly..."

Still have a ways to go, as this article points out: https://medium.com/@dinachka82/about...a6f#.txk2bk6wk

It's too bad the rights that women march and fight for are enjoyed by the women who oppose them.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-24-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies