Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 02:22 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,553,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
GOD Bless those women!

I may not have been able to march with them in person, but I am marching with them in spirit.

I am s-o PROUD!

No cursing, no obnoxious, raunchy celebrities to mar the occasion.

Smiles, laughter, joy!

I am also proud of our VP Pence for speaking at the event!

What a glorious day this is in America!!!
It's a day to celebrate American SHARIA LAW!!! You have the right to your religious beliefs, but you have no right to force other people, by law, to live by your beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 02:24 PM

778 posts, read 339,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
When a lot of the people who call themselves pro-life, are the same ones degrading anyone on government assistance, or receiving help from anyone other than themselves, it's hard to remember there are good people on the other side.
Well, maybe it is time to look and see that there are millions of pro-life people who donate money and time to charitable organizations' who focus solely on the ability to provide pregnant women with the support and assistance they need to be able to choose life for their child and to have the help needed to obtain stability and success for themselves and their children. We are the majority of pro-life believers.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:24 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,553,279 times
Abortion has been legal in the United States since the 1970s. You want to restrict or abolish abortion rights or force your religious beliefs on other people, you're living in the wrong country. Perhaps a country in the Middle East would better suit your wish for a theocratic government.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:25 PM

778 posts, read 339,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
And what is the truth?
That abortion is the act of stopping a heartbeat and ending the life of another human being.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
About 66 percent of legal abortions occur within the first eight weeks of gestation (1 gram)
and 92 percent are performed within the first 13 weeks (23 grams)
Only 1.2 percent occur at or after 21 weeks (360 grams/ 12 ounces).

Yet Trump and the right play up fully formed babies ripped from the womb.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:35 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,967,818 times
The basic fact is that the government cannot force a woman to give birth. What are they going to do - round up all pregnant women and put them into camps until they deliver? I thought conservatives were all about personal freedom and getting government off our backs. Their argument against gun control is that banning guns won't solve anything. Same thing with abortion.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I actually do think that there is a way to calmly discuss the issue and that is to focus on pregnancy prevention rather than the options a woman has when faced with an unwanted pregnancy. People who talk about reproductive rights want to see all children welcomed by loving, prepared parents. People who are anti-abortion don't want to see anyone take the life of a fetus.

The natural common ground is the prevention of unwanted pregnancies.
I could totally get behind this sort of conversation. Totally.

By the way, I do want to address something that gets thrown around all the time - that those who are pro life are somehow only pro birth but don't care about babies after they're born. That's such a broad generalization and stereotype - I just don't see how it can be bandied about any more seriously than the idea that every woman, or even most women, who support feminism would be proud of a protester wearing a ***** hat and painting her crotch blood red, and screaming "F the USA" at the top of her lungs.

Just an example - my parents and my daughter both adopted (and boy are we glad that those bio mothers didn't choose abortion but instead gave our families these two precious babies). I have four natural kids of my own so no need for adoption myself, but I do support both international and local adoption organizations and healthcare clinics for underprivileged women, which offer great prenatal and pediatric care AT NO COST to the women (they also do not receive any state or federal funds).

I also teach regular classes, as a volunteer, at an organization that teaches job skills to underprivileged women. Our organization has a much higher job success rate than state and federal programs with the same format.

In addition to those activities, I also pay my taxes - and I pay a higher percentage of my income in taxes than either the Obamas or the Trumps.

I am not unusual. Most of the women I know and associate with are college educated, strong women who also support such entities, and who also pay a hefty chunk of their income in taxes.

I'm not addressing this to you specifically but I wanted to put that out there. I hate sounding like I'm bragging - in fact, I hate to even bring up "what I do," but I think it bears repeating, because "what I do" is not rare or unique among those who would call themselves "pro life."

Old 01-27-2017, 02:38 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
That abortion is the act of stopping a heartbeat and ending the life of another human being.
Well, it's more detailed than that, but still not a secret. I think everyone's aware of the process regardless of what side of the debate you're on.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:40 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Haven't see anything in the news. Did the 600,000 Trump predicted show up?

Fox said it was not yet estimated how many came. Odd, as Trump immediately knew 2 billion showed up for the inauguration.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:46 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I'm not Catholic and I'm not going to debate about or get into defending the Catholic Church - I'm just pointing out that pedophiles are unfortunately present in all walks of life. And there are many settings that put kids at much higher risk than church activities.

And the people that protect them are accessories to a crime and should be punished accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies