Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 01:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
But priests aren't supposed to be like all the other males, right?

You said you aren't condoning it, but it does seem like your suggesting that because a portion of the general population statistically abuses children that a portion of the priesthood will too. I'd think they'd be held to higher standard and their faith would prevent such atrocities.
You're missing my point, and I'm not sure whether or not that's intentional.

Like it or not, pedophiles unfortunately exist - in all sorts of careers and situations, including but not limited to Catholic and other Christian organizations. THEY SHOULDN'T EXIST ANYWHERE and sexual abuse shouldn't be enabled in any circumstances, but we live in an imperfect world unfortunately.

There are many scenarios (see below link) in which children are, unfortunately, at much more risk than others. Actually kids are in more danger going to school or spending the night with relatives than they are going to church activities.
Priests Commit No More Abuse Than Other Males
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 02:03 PM

778 posts, read 339,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Because they're not really "pro-life" they are pro-birth. Any respect they have for life ends the second the child is born.
I am sick of this frickin' cunnard by the left. THis is totally false, but choicers refuse to accept the truth that there are thousands of charitable non-profit (read PAID FOR BY PRO-LIFE ADVOCATES) organizations that provide housing, medical care, job training and parenting classes for unwed pregnant women who do not chose murder over life and/or adoption.

Maternity and Pregnancy

https://www.mercyhome.org/programs-m.../#.WIu0z02Qz3g

Welcome to Mary's Pregnant Teen Shelter - Donate - We Welcome Pregnant Teens in Orange County Get Help Today.

Other Places to Stay - Housing for 'Pregnant Homeless' Women

Lifecall - List Of Shelters

Good Counsel | Homes and Hope for Babies and Mothers

Stop with the lies and stop with the hate towards women who support other women by helping them deal with their responsibilities instead of lying to them to get them to mutilate and kill their offspring!!

Old 01-27-2017, 02:04 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're missing my point, and I'm not sure whether or not that's intentional.

Like it or not, pedophiles unfortunately exist - in all sorts of careers and situations, including but not limited to Catholic and other Christian organizations. THEY SHOULDN'T EXIST ANYWHERE and sexual abuse shouldn't be enabled in any circumstances, but we live in an imperfect world unfortunately.

There are many scenarios (see below link) in which children are, unfortunately, at much more risk than others. Actually kids are in more danger going to school or spending the night with relatives than they are going to church activities.
Priests Commit No More Abuse Than Other Males
But Uncle Joe who sneaks into your room at night isn't broadcasting the word of god on daily basis, nor being exposed to it, again on daily basis. I would assume such exposure would stem evil. But hey, I ran screaming from christianity ages ago, so things may be different now.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:09 PM

305 posts, read 180,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
I am sick of this frickin' cunnard by the left. THis is totally false, but choicers refuse to accept the truth that there are thousands of charitable non-profit (read PAID FOR BY PRO-LIFE ADVOCATES) organizations that provide housing, medical care, job training and parenting classes for unwed pregnant women who do not chose murder over life and/or adoption.

Maternity and Pregnancy

https://www.mercyhome.org/programs-m.../#.WIu0z02Qz3g

Welcome to Mary's Pregnant Teen Shelter - Donate - We Welcome Pregnant Teens in Orange County Get Help Today.

Other Places to Stay - Housing for 'Pregnant Homeless' Women

Lifecall - List Of Shelters

Good Counsel | Homes and Hope for Babies and Mothers

Stop with the lies and stop with the hate towards women who support other women by helping them deal with their responsibilities instead of lying to them to get them to mutilate and kill their offspring!!
When a lot of the people who call themselves pro-life, are the same ones degrading anyone on government assistance, or receiving help from anyone other than themselves, it's hard to remember there are good people on the other side.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:10 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Just to clarify - and not to condone the Church or ANY other organization for covering up sexual abuse - it has been determined (and that's difficult) by several studies that the incidence of pedophilia (this does not include other forms of sexual abuse) in the general population is somewhere between 3-5 percent of the male population. The Catholic Church's incidence of sexual abuse (not limited to pedophilia) is about 4 percent of the clergy. Like I said, this includes other forms of sexual abuse, not just pedophilia.
How many men are paedophiles? - BBC News
Thanks for posting the stats. However, I find little comfort in them as I have higher expectations of priests than of the general public.

The church leaders moved pedophiles around, hid them, and treated their victims shabbily.

The Catholic church is not occupying the moral high ground here. Where they find the gall to tell woman what's moral and what isn't remains a mystery.

I'm not sure how the Catholic church keeps its tax-exempt status as it clearly is in violation of IRS laws for tax-exempt status. They are obviously politically active in getting legislation passed and openly campaign for politicians.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:12 PM

778 posts, read 339,584 times
Quote:
Look, I'm not going to argue back and forth about abortion. Here's my belief system. I believe that human life starts at conception. That's my belief and it's never been disproven - just argued back and forth, but never disproven. Therefore, the very idea of abortion as a form of oopsie birth control absolutely appalls me. Please note that I do believe that there are exceptional cases when abortion could be justified, but those exceptions don't account for the hundreds of thousands of abortions that are performed every year in this country.

To me, it is a holocaust of horrific proportions. That is my belief. I understand that others don't agree with me. I also understand that I probably won't be able to convince them to believe me, and that they will probably not be able to convince me that human life - that indescribably precious gift of human life - does not begin at conception.

So that's why I generally don't debate abortion, even though I have very strong opinions about it.
You are not alone in your beliefs. I was brainwashed about abortion for many years and I regret believing the lies about "it's a choice," "it's your body," "it's just a blob of cells, you know, like a tumor."

I experienced a true pivot point in my thinking and I understand that the only way that abortion will ever end is to work to change the hearts of people and to provide them with the truth about what it means to abort a fetus.

That said, I strongly advocate against any federal or state funding for abortion. I support the abundant availability and ease of access to birth control as well as the availability of counseling and REAL family planning that is available at any Pregnancy Crisis Center that is focused on the health and wellbeing of women and their children.

But, I completely agree with you that there is no way to calmly discuss this issue with anyone who equates abortion with a choice or a "reproductive right."

Old 01-27-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
But Uncle Joe who sneaks into your room at night isn't broadcasting the word of god on daily basis, nor being exposed to it, again on daily basis. I would assume such exposure would stem evil. But hey, I ran screaming from christianity ages ago, so things may be different now.
I am not condoning pedophilia by any group - just being intellectually honest about it and realizing sadly that pedophilia exists in every society, and basically every group and profession. Sad but true.

And many kids are at a higher risk than others - in settings other than church related activities.

Pedophilia is disgusting no matter the setting.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Thanks for posting the stats. However, I find little comfort in them as I have higher expectations of priests than of the general public.

The church leaders moved pedophiles around, hid them, and treated their victims shabbily.

The Catholic church is not occupying the moral high ground here. Where they find the gall to tell woman what's moral and what isn't remains a mystery.

I'm not sure how the Catholic church keeps its tax-exempt status as it clearly is in violation of IRS laws for tax-exempt status. They are obviously politically active in getting legislation passed and openly campaign for politicians.
Well, I'm not Catholic and I'm not going to debate about or get into defending the Catholic Church - I'm just pointing out that pedophiles are unfortunately present in all walks of life. And there are many settings that put kids at much higher risk than church activities.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:20 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times
Quote:
the truth about what it means to abort a fetus.
And what is the truth?

Old 01-27-2017, 02:21 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
You are not alone in your beliefs. I was brainwashed about abortion for many years and I regret believing the lies about "it's a choice," "it's your body," "it's just a blob of cells, you know, like a tumor."

I experienced a true pivot point in my thinking and I understand that the only way that abortion will ever end is to work to change the hearts of people and to provide them with the truth about what it means to abort a fetus.

That said, I strongly advocate against any federal or state funding for abortion. I support the abundant availability and ease of access to birth control as well as the availability of counseling and REAL family planning that is available at any Pregnancy Crisis Center that is focused on the health and wellbeing of women and their children.

But, I completely agree with you that there is no way to calmly discuss this issue with anyone who equates abortion with a choice or a "reproductive right."
I actually do think that there is a way to calmly discuss the issue and that is to focus on pregnancy prevention rather than the options a woman has when faced with an unwanted pregnancy. People who talk about reproductive rights want to see all children welcomed by loving, prepared parents. People who are anti-abortion don't want to see anyone take the life of a fetus.

The natural common ground is the prevention of unwanted pregnancies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies