Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 03:53 PM

305 posts, read 180,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When my oldest daughter, who had just moved out on her own, got pregnant at age 19, she was not on my insurance due to several factors. She immediately ruled out abortion as an option, and was for awhile considering adoption as an alternative. She signed up with a prenatal program offered by a local private hospital (which happens to be a Catholic hospital). Her prenatal care, which became complicated, was free. When she was admitted to have the baby, she was in a private room and received the best of care, also at little or no cost to her.

A few years later, she married a great guy, who adopted her daughter, and later they also both adopted my oldest grandson, from an adoption agency.

She and her husband and my parents and myself - we were all donating generously every month to her "adoption fund" because it's expensive to adopt (don't get me started on that - that's a whole other issue). We had a great financial plan but guess what - she and her husband got "the baby call" ten months earlier than expected! Long story short, they were short a few thousand dollars for expenses. I placed one phone call to the Abba Fund, and they called my daughter and got her checking account info. By the next morning, there was a huge donation in her checking account, making up every bit of the difference in costs, and she and her husband were able to move forward with adopting my grandson. WOOHOOOOO!!!!

ABBA Fund - Adoption Assistance for Christian Families

This was all about eight years ago. I am pleased to say that their entire family is doing GREAT. Both adopted kids are doing very well, and they've been joined by two more kids. My son in law works in the medical profession and my daughter is lucky enough to be able to stay home with the kids, which is what she prefers to do.

I just wanted to share this story for some perspective. Unplanned pregnancies are not always the tragedy people think they are. Of course it often seems that way at first - I cried for about four straight days when my beautiful, honor student daughter told me she was pregnant - and that the father was someone I certainly didn't want her to marry! It seemed hopeless, but in the end, her life has become a beautiful story greatly enriched by two unplanned and very inconvenient pregnancies.
My husband is adopted. He loves his family very, very much, but without going into much detail it's still a huge struggle for him.

Adoption is wonderful, and it's one solution, but not *the* solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 03:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
My husband is adopted. He loves his family very, very much, but without going into much detail it's still a huge struggle for him.

Adoption is wonderful, and it's one solution, but not *the* solution.
Of course - but it's definitely a viable solution.

My brother hasn't had any significant issues with being adopted after he sorted it through as a young adult. He did have to sort through a lot of stuff, because in his case, he actually remembered his mother, and remembered her dropping him off at the orphanage. Tough one.

Even so, and in spite of his struggles, he would be the first one to tell you that he cherishes his life and much prefers life over the alternative.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:59 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You were whining that the MSM would under report the numbers of the march. But we watched the live cams right here on C-D all afternoon and we all SAW the tiny little turnout for this event.

So whine away. Truth, as always, has a liberal bias. The live cams proved it.
Yep, I can attest that. And some of us had on CNN on ALL DAY and they covered it often and fairly.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Me too.

I believe it is wrong to wound our mother earth like we are doing with oil and my sincerely held believe is that we are nuts for doing it.

Also, BigAg subsidies put small farmers out of business and I think a lot of our cancer and other health problems are due to raising crops on chemicals rather than in good, composted earth. This is another sincerely held belief.

When we paid our taxes, we could each assign so much to this fund and so much to that.

Then the feds could look at how much they have in each account, and decide which projects they can afford to fund in each area.
Right on! I agree. You want to reduce health care costs? Clean food is the answer.

And I dream of day when I can file my taxes by selecting which departments and projects to fund. Those that don't receive sufficient funding, get axed. To dream a dream...

Old 01-27-2017, 04:04 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Yep, I can attest that. And some of us had on CNN on ALL DAY and they covered it often and fairly.
Can you site a reliable news source ? CNN is fake news and propaganda. IDK what the crowd numbers were but I know I won't get good information from CNN.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
So I guess we can all conclude that there are more pissed-off women than ones who want to be pissed on!

Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Can you site a reliable news source ? CNN is fake news and propaganda. IDK what the crowd numbers were but I know I won't get good information from CNN.
According to the Donald, all media is suspect! Perhaps you might like Pravda better! Putin does!

Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 PM

305 posts, read 180,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course - but it's definitely a viable solution.

My brother hasn't had any significant issues with being adopted after he sorted it through as a young adult. He did have to sort through a lot of stuff, because in his case, he actually remembered his mother, and remembered her dropping him off at the orphanage. Tough one.

Even so, and in spite of his struggles, he would be the first one to tell you that he cherishes his life and much prefers life over the alternative.
I was just pointing out that adoption is not the ideal solution a lot of people make it out to be. Because most people who don't personally know an adoptee, only see this rosy image of a new happy family.

My husband had an open adoption, I know his birth-family, and a number of them even came to our wedding. But still, he's not sure how he feels about advocating adoption. Some adoptees are perfectly fine, others really struggle.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I can cite my eyes that were looking at the TV screen with a blonde woman and a mic in front of a large crowd of people with pro-life signs, interviewing a spokeswoman from the March for Life and several attendees. And I can cite my ears, hearing the interview. Damn, live video is my jam.

Get a grip.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:11 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Here's the real Woman's March, where the beautiful women outside and inside are marching! The March for Life this friday
I'm so sick and tired of women feeling the need to be considered beautiful. Care more about your inner beauty and merits and less about what others think of your outer shell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies