Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:21 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
China is a developing-State and in particular they are developing their 2nd Level Economy.

Such growth rates are normal under the circumstances.

As China's 2nd Level Economy becomes more advanced, its GDP growth rate will eventually drop to 4%-5% per year.

This has nothing to do with China's Birth-Death Rate.
agreed

Old 02-02-2017, 12:23 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
agreed
China already buys 26 million cars per year. The US market is 17 million cars per year. China could soon have a 50 million cars per year market. The idea that America is the only market that matters is sorely mistaken.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:25 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Russia has tons of natural resources, but the culture/ideology makes it a mess. Japan and Germany were the two countries obliterated in WWII, and Germany was basically screwed after WW1 also. Nevertheless, in 2015, they are both in the world's top five economies.

Culture and ideology are hugely important.
I agree.

With all due respect to native Americans, the U.S. was settled by people with get some up and go. We have a lot of ADHD in our genetic heritage.

Russia has been held back by their politics. They seem enthralled by authoritarian types rather than the rule of law.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-02-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 02-02-2017, 12:25 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
China already buys 26 million cars per year. The US market is 17 million cars per year. China could soon have a 50 million cars per year market. The idea that America is the only market that matters is sorely mistaken.
With all due respect, I've never said the U.S. is the ONLY market. I said, It is a very important market.

I also said, nobody can stop the Chinese from making their cars in the Mexico or any countries, good for them.

But adding import tax or border tax is not entirely unreasonable. Plus, Chinese cars do not have a solid market here in the United States, at least, not yet.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
With all due respect, I've never said the U.S. is the ONLY market. I said, It is a very important market.

I also said, nobody can stop the Chinese from making their cars in the Mexico or any countries, good for them.

But adding import tax or border tax is not entirely unreasonable.
Slapping a massive border tax/tax on American consumers is a very unreasonable. Especially bad since people seems to have this idea that America is the only true market that counts and believe trade wars are good for the American people. Its terrible. Less than 2% of China's economic output is exports to America. Asia is China's biggest market. And China's domestic market is gigantic. People have this idea that China will collapse in a trade war and Trump supporters will man the factories in rural America again. It doesnt work that way. What will happen is that US automakers will be shut out of the biggest and most important car market in the world by far. Who suffers then? The midwest.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:32 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
You are taking false premises

1st one We mexicans do not Send nor we have a program to send Mexicans to USA. In fact it is USA which is pulling mexicans to work in their fields.

2nd one We mexicans are not "Taking" your jobs, we are working in your companies which take all the revenues and leave low salaries and polution.

After these two premises then you can see the falsehood of your statement that we Mexicans in Mexico are somehow taking advantage of you. in Any case hispanics there in USA have the right to social welfare if they pay Property Taxes and Value Added Taxes for the products they consume. somehow they DO PAY TAXES and thus have a right on the benefits of them.

If I go to USA as tourist and consume goods and other stuff ¿Can I ask for their return after I leave? No. ¿where is the justice then in making me as a tourist to pay for your welfare and your pólice? ¿What do I get from paying you taxes if I have no rights there?

I have been there many many times, I am Very Very happy when I come Back to My beloved country. And I am vey very bothered when I have to go there, believe me.
Nonsense and you know it. Ask Americans who live in border states what it's really like. I think you know the answer. Nothing you say changes the truth. I've lived in CA for 50 years and I've seen many cities turn from middle class to third world hell holes filled with illegals.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:33 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
9 out of 10 manufacturing jobs that disappeared that last fifteen were lost to automation not outsourcing. Those jobs are long gone.

Automation is making American labor competitive again and why thousands of manufacturing jobs are returning - re-shoring.

For example, the German engineering company Siemens Energy just opened a gas turbine production plant in Charlotte, N.C.

Unfortunately, these types of manufacturing jobs all require years of training beyond high school.

“In our factories, there’s a computer about every 20 or 30 feet,” said Eric Spiegel, who recently retired as president and chief executive of Siemens U.S.A. “People on the plant floor need to be much more skilled than they were in the past.”

10,000 people applied for the jobs but, "fewer than 15 percent of the applicants were able to pass a reading, writing and math screening test geared toward a ninth-grade education."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/e...hips.html?_r=0

So these rust belt rubes dusting off their safety goggles in anticipation of low-skilled, union-wage jobs are doomed to disappointment.

Even those who get busy and get the training and education required for middle-skill jobs, if we don't have a market to sell these goods to...

As the auto execs explained to Trump, though they appreciated the tax and regulation breaks, they would not be opening any new factories as they could only build as many cars as they thought they could sell.

Guess how the Made in the U.S.A. brand is doing these days. It ought to be just peachy once we get into trade wars with every nation but the U.K.

I'm calling complete and total BS on this. The fact that you even said it in this thread contradicts your statement. If 9 out of 10 manufacturing jobs have went poof to automation why this ?

"This is just the beginning.

As the US turns it's back on it's allies/trade partners, China will step in to fill the void.

Donald Trump"s idiotic trade policies are shortsighted and detrimental to our growth."

Why would it effect out growth ? If the plant is so automated there should be little impact on our economy right ?

While Trump-holes don't understand this, Mexico is a huge market where the middle class is expanding and has money to spend on new cars and other products that it did not in the past.

How can this be ? A middle class expanding ? Gee , from what ? I thought all those jobs where automated ?
Yes, there is automation in these plants but there still are a lot of people required. And that is just on the plant floor. What about all the skilled trades that are required to keep a plant going ? Management ? Engineering ?
I'm in the business and see work that could be here , going to India, Mexico and China on a regular basis. So no, I'm not buying it. The huge job loss due to automation happened 25-30 years ago.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:34 PM

152 posts, read 134,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is just the beginning.

As the US turns it's back on it's allies/trade partners, China will step in to fill the void.

Donald Trump"s idiotic trade policies are shortsighted and detrimental to our growth.

Mexico signs $212 million deal to assemble Chinese SUVs - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So you agree that it's a good thing for Mexico to focus on bringing Manufacturing jobs to Mexico.

Then why are you against the Trump administration doing exactly the same thing for the USA?

burnt

/thread fail
Kaboom!

Old 02-02-2017, 12:36 PM

152 posts, read 134,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
EXACTLY.

I lived in Mexico for 5 years (and am heading back again soon). Up until the new Idiot in Chief, Mexicans loved and bought US branded cars.

While Trump-holes don't understand this, Mexico is a huge market where the middle class is expanding and has money to spend on new cars and other products that it did not in the past.

With Trump's attitude, you can bet that Mexicans will be looking for Made in US labels and refusing to buy items labelled as such.

Watch for Canada to align itself with Mexico on trade issues, carving our the USA thanks to Senor Trump. He and his advisers cannot see past their own swollen noses.
But yet are migrating here illegally!

Old 02-02-2017, 12:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
and this affects the United States how?

It is a product that is not imported into the united states and does not use - nor would it ever - use American labor.

if anything, this is a GOOD thing for us b/c if mexicans can get good jobs in their own country they need not come here illegally.
These SUVs will replace/reduce the demand for US SUVs in Latin American market, which is quite large (larger than US market). Its nice we build cars in US, but if the policies kill the demand, then the industry will die too.

US auto makers have been breaking a record after record with exports, but this will change with trade wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies