Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
That is why she was shut down. Just because you are reading other people's words, you are still smearing a fellow Senator. That is against Senate rules and she was called out for it.
If criticizing a senate nominee is a violation then they better start enforcing the rules consistently. What exactly did she state that was not true, this wasn't slander it was a historically accurate depiction of Sessions record. Slander would amount to making up stories about Sessions, this was not slander.

This is only the 2nd time in history this has occurred

Old 02-08-2017, 05:36 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Well, if honesty is what you value, then you might start with Lyawatha lying about her Native American heritage and move on from there to the appropriate and logical conclusion about her -- that she's a congenital liar, and not to be taken seriously.
Most native Americans would be embarrassed if Warren keeps lying about being an American Indian.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:37 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
this wasn't slander it was a historically accurate depiction of Sessions record.
No, it wasn't. It told only half the story -- the half Lyawatha wanted you to hear.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:38 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessHelen View Post
This has backfired on Mitch McConnell massively, there is now a #letlizspeak hastag on twitter now.
Of course there is. Since when have liberals ever obeyed any rules they disagreed with?

I wouldn't go as far as to say it backfired. No matter how much the left whines about this, nothing is going to change. The problem is that liberals have no concept of how to accept anything they don't like without protests and violence.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Malarky

"Hours after GOP leaders blocked Sen. Elizabeth Warren from reading a letter critical of Sen. Jeff Sessions during his confirmation hearing for attorney general, Jeff Merkley picked it up and read the document uninterrupted."

Jeff Merkley reads Coretta Scott King's letter about Jeff Sessions on Senate floor | OregonLive.com
I didn't realize that good for him, why wasn't he also silenced.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Of course there is. Since when have liberals ever obeyed any rules they disagreed with?

I wouldn't go as far as to say it backfired. No matter how much the left whines about this, nothing is going to change. The problem is that liberals have no concept of how to accept anything they don't like without protests and violence.

Really, you wouldn't say this backfired? The letter was read and entered into the record by another senator so what did McConnell accomplish?

Old 02-08-2017, 05:41 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Malarky

"Hours after GOP leaders blocked Sen. Elizabeth Warren from reading a letter critical of Sen. Jeff Sessions during his confirmation hearing for attorney general, Jeff Merkley picked it up and read the document uninterrupted."

Jeff Merkley reads Coretta Scott King's letter about Jeff Sessions on Senate floor | OregonLive.com
Yep. Now McConnell has po'ed AA ' S and women.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:41 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
McConnell probably never had any AA friends, and at this stage of his career --- I doubt he needs any.

We're doing things differently now in Washington. Better get used to it.
Yep. It's clearly "Make America White Again." You should be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No, but, then again, apart from family lore and the mention of "high creekbones" (you can't make this stuff up, folks: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.f7c3d747cd2a), Warren provides no actual evidence to support her claims. That's unacceptable. As the one making the claim, the burden is on Warren to prove her supposed Cherokee ancestry. She listed herself as a Cherokee Indian, despite having no evidence to support her claims. And, trust me, if there was actually any evidence of Cherokee ancestry, she would've provided it in order to put the issue to rest (and leftist fact checkers would've posted it after searching public records and constructing a Warren Family Tree to try to exonerate the loon). More on the situation: Warren concedes she told Harvard and Penn about Native American ancestry - CBS News
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. None of her ancestors are on the Dawes Roll. Additionally:

No Proof Behind Elizabeth Warren's Heritage Claims
I have no idea about the veracity of Warren's NA claims. I'm also not in agreement with her about several things.

So I'm not trying to defend her, but I would point out that not being on the Dawes roll has little bearing on whether or not she has tribal blood.

My people hail from Oklahoma. My maternal great grandfather was full blood Choctaw, and he married a woman who was half Chickasaw, half Irish. On my father's side, there is Cherokee blood. It is not uncommon for people with mixed NA and Euro heritage to NOT be on the Dawes rolls or have a tribal affiliation.

For one thing, many families fell through the cracks. For another, sadly many people back then were ashamed of their NDN heritage and did not claim to be NA.

The story in the family about my mother's grandpa is that he claimed his parents immigrated from Sicily and that was why he had dark skin.

There are loads of people who actually have native blood but no tribal affiliation and whose families do not appear on the Dawes rolls.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
So the article abbreviates Coretta Scott King's name to CSK?

Why would they do that, and why would you do likewise?

Okay, I read the article. No abbreviation. Except by you.

Is CSK the new JFK or LBJ?
Just read the articles before commenting.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I didn't realize that good for him, why wasn't he also silenced.
Because McConnell decided to go after Pocahontas.

Then he left the floor and wasn't around to listen to more Demo-nonsense.

Yes, he singled Warren out for doing what all the Democrats were doing.

I'm glad he did.

Even if it is "unfair."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies