Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 08:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They haven't been hemorrhaging jobs. There were never a ton to start with because of the topography of the state and the lack of infrastructure. For years people didn't want roads running everywhere. That has changed somewhat. Toyota has made big investments in the state both with Toyota and Hino.

Many of the young people do leave as they want the amenities of a large city. There is nothing wrong with that and it's never going to happen in WV. That's not good or bad, it's just the way it is.

I make regular trips to Cleveland (my hometown) and Pittsburgh to get things I can not here but every time I realize that I no longer want to deal with the traffic on a daily basis.

Nor should you. You shouldn't demean the decisions of others either.

I'm good with going places and having them all to myself. It's nice to walk the banks of the streams and rivers and not have to look at trash (like I do along the Ohio River where I live).

Tourism is great but far too many are disrespectful. One can argue that can go for strip mining also. Make that argument but make it honestly.
I'm just going to say that I didn't start the thread trying to compare WV to CA. I simply commented on it and shared my thoughts which a few took exception to.

Do you really think young people just leave because they 'want the amenities' of the big city? Some, perhaps. Others can clearly see the lack of opportunity. It's just not there. Again, it is what it is.

That's on the leaders of WV that have so spectacularly failed them by over-reliance on a dying industry, while lining their pockets with donations from Big Coal.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:10 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
We mock those backward states because they deserve it.

Red states are net takers of federal tax dollars in nearly all cases - ironic considering far-right hatred of "the poor" (they really mean "poor people who aren't white.")

Red states also have the lowest life expectancy and the lowest educational obtainment. They also generally have little to offer in the way of jobs, unless you like working at the dollar store.

But, sure - let's pretend that the whole nation should imitate backwards red states full of bigotry, ignorance, a general lack of jobs, and lousy health. At least they have more churches per capita than blue states, and they done real gud on hating blacks, gays, Muslims, etc.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm just going to say that I didn't start the thread trying to compare WV to CA. I simply commented on it and shared my thoughts which a few took exception to.
If I was generalizing too much, I apologize. I condemn generalizations and I perhaps did here. Sorry.

Quote:
Do you really think young people just leave because they 'want the amenities' of the big city? Some, perhaps. Others can clearly see the lack of opportunity. It's just not there. Again, it is what it is.
I noted that many opportunities aren't here. It's just the realities of a small state with a mountain terrain over much of it.

Quote:
That's on the leaders of WV that have so spectacularly failed them by over-reliance on a dying industry, while lining their pockets with donations from Big Coal.
The new (D) governor is a big coal guy. I helped campaign against him. (not for the big auto dealer (R) candidate)

Old 02-11-2017, 09:13 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Coming from someone with Detroit in their posting name, lol. I bet its better than Detroit,Camden,Newark or all the African american and Democrat run pits in our country.

The delta is a big part of the reason Mississippi is so low in stats. Do the 37% of blacks that make up Mississippi all have confederate flags on their pickup?
Those places were all destroyed by corporate greed, not by "black people" or "liberals," despite your ignorance. Which makes it even funnier when right-wing nutjobs want to let big business do whatever it wants. Here's a hint - that rarely including hiring Americans at a decent, 1st world wage with benefits.

The deep south, meanwhile, has been a miserable, job-starved, ignorant, bigotry-poisoned, delusion hell-hole since before the Civil War, and as bad as Big Business is, even they can't be blamed for the utter failure of the deep south and red-state policies.

Last edited by Rambler123; 02-11-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-11-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
If I was generalizing too much, I apologize. I condemn generalizations and I perhaps did here. Sorry.

I noted that many opportunities aren't here. It's just the realities of a small state with a mountain terrain over much of it.

The new (D) governor is a big coal guy. I helped campaign against him. (not for the big auto dealer (R) candidate)
Good for you. I'm sorry he's affiliated with the Democratic party; I cannot figure out why how he got elected.

I'm sorry if I was too hard on WV too.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

Red states are net takers of federal tax dollars in nearly all cases - ironic considering far-right hatred of "the poor" (they really mean "poor people who aren't white.")
You note your biases here and they are sad. Politics over people. I find that quite sad.

Quote:
Red states also have the lowest life expectancy and the lowest educational obtainment. They also generally have little to offer in the way of jobs, unless you like working at the dollar store.
I've already debunked the education part. WV has a higher graduation rate than the country on average and this includes states such as NY and California.

Quote:
But, sure - let's pretend that the whole nation should imitate backwards red states full of bigotry, ignorance, a general lack of jobs, and lousy health. At least they have more churches per capita than blue states, and they done real gud on hating blacks, gays, Muslims, etc.
WV isn't where things like stop and frisk was implemented. California is the state that passed proposition 8.

Take your biases and shove them.

UPDATE: State approves refugee settlement program in Charleston

Episcopal Migration Ministries, a national organization, and the West Virginia Interfaith Refugee Ministry submitted an application in October to resettle 100 refugees in Charleston within the first year.

Assistant Bishop Mark Van Koevering at the Episcopal Diocese of West Virginia says there will likely be 150 refugees in 2018 followed by 150 in 2019. He says it comes out to about 30 families per year.

"This is really a special place, I think, of welcome," said Van Koevering. "How can we not welcome folks who are suffering under such tragic circumstances, actually fleeing for their lives? These aren't immigrants just looking for a better life. These are people who've had to flee their homes because of war or violence, the threat of death, and have nowhere to go."

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/App...407803815.html

Last edited by pknopp; 02-11-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-11-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Good for you. I'm sorry he's affiliated with the Democratic party; I cannot figure out why how he got elected.

I'm sorry if I was too hard on WV too.
I do not either. It's not a secret that being a (D) or (R) in WV is not the same as being one in California. The differences are far more minor here. That said........ Jim Justice was and is the face of the 1%er in WV. The richest guy in the state. A guy that owes back taxes and fines and won't pay them but wants to raise the sales and gas tax which is only going to harm the poor.

Far too many can still only see (D) and (R). They will vote for a highly flawed candidate just so the other side does not win, (and the other side was as bad of a choice).

Old 02-11-2017, 09:38 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,332,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

This is real genius, exactly the sort of ignorance why Democrats keep losing and losing.

Red states like Texas and Florida have some of the largest economies on the planet,Texas would be the 12th largest economy in the world by GDP ahead of South Korea and Australia, Florida has one of the fastest growing economies in the nation and will soon be the 16th largest in the world. Texas created more jobs than most of the country combined until just recently ,the reason so many corporations from aerospace, auto industry and people are moving to red states are a fantastic job climate.

I have always asked people to break down exactly what federal money goes to so called red states and nobody knows, they just quote some huffington post crap from the tax foundation that red states are takers, the mass majority of it is military spending. Red states tend to have more military veterans and military bases, its why a blue state like new mexico is a high receiver of federal money.

It would be interesting to see what the political voters of welfare recipients are , California is a prosperous state but has close to a 1/3 of the nations welfare recipients

People and companies are moving to red states like Texas, Florida and Arizona for various reasons, jobs, poorly tun high tax governments in blue states, better weather, maybe beaches and sailing and year round golf for retirees in the south, but red states are growing in population alot faster than blue states. We will see that in 2020 with the 2020 Census and reapportionment

Old 02-11-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
This is real genius, exactly the sort of ignorance why Democrats keep losing and losing.

Red states like Texas and Florida have some of the largest economies on the planet,Texas would be the 12th largest economy in the world by GDP ahead of South Korea and Australia, Florida has one of the fastest growing economies in the nation and will soon be the 16th largest in the world. Texas created more jobs than most of the country combined until just recently ,the reason so many corporations from aerospace, auto industry and people are moving to red states are a fantastic job climate.

I have always asked people to break down exactly what federal money goes to so called red states and nobody knows, they just quote some huffington post crap from the tax foundation that red states are takers, the mass majority of it is military spending. Red states tend to have more military veterans and military bases, its why a blue state like new mexico is a high receiver of federal money.

It would be interesting to see what the political voters of welfare recipients are , California is a prosperous state but has close to a 1/3 of the nations welfare recipients

People and companies are moving to red states like Texas, Florida and Arizona for various reasons, jobs, poorly tun high tax governments in blue states, better weather, maybe beaches and sailing and year round golf for retirees in the south, but red states are growing in population alot faster than blue states. We will see that in 2020 with the 2020 Census and reapportionment
Again, I feel the need to point out that a "Democrat' did not start this thread by trying to intimate that WV/Mississippi > California.

The OP got some blowback and he deserved it. You can't denigrate one and not expect the other to take a few hits too.

Just another attempt to divide us so the 1% can continue exploiting us all.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I do not either. It's not a secret that being a (D) or (R) in WV is not the same as being one in California. The differences are far more minor here. That said........ Jim Justice was and is the face of the 1%er in WV. The richest guy in the state. A guy that owes back taxes and fines and won't pay them but wants to raise the sales and gas tax which is only going to harm the poor.

Far too many can still only see (D) and (R). They will vote for a highly flawed candidate just so the other side does not win, (and the other side was as bad of a choice).
True. WV Democrat is not usually a 'liberal'. That said, I heard that Justice wanted a massive tax increase while he won't pay his own.

That's not going to help those that are already struggling.

We need more Toyota's and FBI fingerprint centers. More revenue.

And an entire new legislature that can take this state somewhere new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies