Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 04:34 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,656 times

Advertisements

The 72% homeownership rate actually hurts West Virginians because it keeps them tied to the state as the value of their homes will either stay the same or decline. This prevents them from moving to metropolitan areas with tons of jobs and forces them to remain in their economically declining areas.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:36 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to admit I have spent much time in Rural America but also much time in places like California and Colorado which are filled with overwhelmed people trying to live a millionaires lifestyle at the end of the day.

But at the end of the day, people in West Virginia have a non-existent commute, very little pollution, low electric bills from all the coal and most of them have houses paid off with hardly any property taxes.

Love seeing the 91 from Riverside into Orange County at 5am packed with miles long traffic jams as West Virginians will be in bed for a couple more hours with their non-existent commutes

California chasing fantasies by either paying a million plus for a small house or commuting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours each way thinking that they will all be rich executives some day.

2,100 median mortgage payment in California, 900 in West Virginia

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

72% own houses in WV compared to 53% in California

39% pay more then 30% income mortgage in California compared to 21% in West Virginia

You really want to argue who is better between a State with the 6th largest economy on the planet and West Virginia who is only known for its incest popularity?

Old 02-10-2017, 04:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to admit I have spent much time in Rural America but also much time in places like California and Colorado which are filled with overwhelmed people trying to live a millionaires lifestyle at the end of the day.

But at the end of the day, people in West Virginia have a non-existent commute, very little pollution, low electric bills from all the coal and most of them have houses paid off with hardly any property taxes.

Love seeing the 91 from Riverside into Orange County at 5am packed with miles long traffic jams as West Virginians will be in bed for a couple more hours with their non-existent commutes

California chasing fantasies by either paying a million plus for a small house or commuting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours each way thinking that they will all be rich executives some day.

2,100 median mortgage payment in California, 900 in West Virginia

72% own houses in WV compared to 53% in California

39% pay more then 30% income mortgage in California compared to 21% in West Virginia

I lived in WV for years. It's cheaper (and not always depending on where you are in WV) because there is NOTHING there.

I left because my job did; big companies do not relocate there.

What good is a cheap mortgage if there are no jobs? Have you seen southern WV lately? Mingo county; Raleigh County?

Depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
I've been to Wheeling; it's depressing. Not that I like megapolitan California commutes, either, but at least a lot of communities in CA are reasonably prosperous, have good schools, etc.

Wheeling has to be one of the ugliest cities in WV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I don't mock West Virginia. In fact, I am deeply worried about King Coal's power over and destruction of that beautiful state and its abused people.
They have destroyed it and then took their toys and went home. Don't EVEN get me started on mountain top removal.

WV should be a beautiful state for hiking, biking, rafting, climbing, etc.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:42 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
There are apparently not many jobs in rural areas (per the Trump voters).

There are lots of jobs that pay well in the urban areas you are deriding.

I'll take the jobs and salaries over the polluted water and rusted out towns.

My commute in South Fla really is not bad--about 15 leisurely minutes. Palm trees, blue skies, water and sun. And did I mention jobs?

Old 02-10-2017, 04:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
It's about time one of lovecrowds' scorned California bashing threads backfired on him/her. They are getting old and tiresome.....

Old 02-10-2017, 04:51 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
This is just another of the hundreds of posts where the OP makes some idiotic claim that is based on their own nonsense then blames it on "librules."

Who mocks MS or WV? Nobody that I know. I do know that those two places are often noted for their low positions in certain statistics. If it bothers them, maybe they should just improve.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:21 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
I've spent a fair amount of time in WV and have come away with a different opinion of the place than I initially started with. Without question it is one of the more picturesque places on the planet, there are areas that are simply breathtaking. By in large my impression of the people was favorable. There are many warm and friendly folks living there, but like peeling back the layers of an onion, the more time I spent the less regard I have for their (for the most part self-inflicted) plight.

Despite having many benefits afforded citizens of the greatest county on Earth, time and time again they've squandered opportunities of education. They fail to hold their elected representatives accountable, they fail to hold their business and industrial leaders to any kind of standard of conduct and simply defer to an often 'woe is me' or 'Family/Jesus/Winning lottery ticket will pull me out of the circumstances I'm in'. Rather than use meager resources that can be applied to things that will in the long run better themselves like education and preventative health care, time and money is spent on big wheeled trucks, beer, smokes and Pepperoni Rolls.

Pride is a big part of their DNA, but when it gets in the way of demanding more from themselves and their communities then it morphs from hope and sympathy for their condition to 'you reap what you sow'.

YMMV

Last edited by take57; 02-10-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I've spent a fair amount of time in WV and have come away with a different opinion of the place than I initially started with. Without question it is one of the more picturesque places on the planet, there are areas that are simply breathtaking. By in large my impression of the people was favorable. There are many warm and friendly folks living there, but like peeling back the layers of an onion, the more time I spent the less regard I have for their (for the most part self-inflicted) plight.

Despite having many benefits afforded citizens of the greatest county on Earth, time and time again they've squandered opportunities of education. They fail to hold their elected representatives accountable, they fail to hold their business and industrial leaders to any kind of standard of conduct and simply defer to an often 'woe is me' or 'Family/Jesus/Winning lottery ticket will pull me out of the circumstances I'm in'. Rather than use meager resources that can be applied to things that will in the long run better themselves like education and preventative health care, time and money is spent on big wheeled trucks, beer, smokes and Pepperoni Rolls.

Pride is a big part of their DNA, but when it gets in the way of demanding more from themselves and their communities then it morphs from hope and sympathy for their condition to 'you reap what you sow'.

YMMV
Didn't they just elect Jim Justice (Big Coal) governor??

Though he did rescue the Greenbriar, I'll give him that.

I agree with most of what you said but I sure do miss pepperoni rolls and Italian bread fresh from the bakery.

WV also has a massive inferiority complex which leads to an 'us against the rest of the world' kind of mentality.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:13 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Ringo1 you just come across as a bitter jerk or something with an axe to grind you probably didn't get the promotion you wanted at whatever company you was at or something when you were in WV. Plenty of ppl are doing well in WV I've never seen anyone hate on WV like you do. I doubt you even know very much about it.

The cost of living is much lower than many areas. When you factor in the cost of living coefficient WV is ranked around 22 for quality of life. Which means if you're happy with a middle class lifestyle you can achieve it much easier in WV. Average salaries in a state mean nothing alone you have to factor in the cost of living coefficient, the unemployment rate, property taxes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

WV should be a beautiful state for hiking, biking, rafting, climbing, etc.
People do that there, was it banned or something? I'm confused. I was at one of the state parks in last October and there was so many people there it was annoyingly overcrowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You really want to argue who is better between a State with the 6th largest economy on the planet and West Virginia who is only known for its incest popularity?
Only uneducated people that aren't very smart actually believe any state is known for that lol. Let me guess..you voted for Hillary. Anyone in a red state is a deplorable right?

Last edited by wanderlust76; 02-10-2017 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 07:21 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree with most of what you said but I sure do miss pepperoni rolls and Italian bread fresh from the bakery.
Yeah, those Pepperoni rolls are obscenely wonderful after a hard night of drinking but have no place on the daily food pyramid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies