Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:17 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
I've been to Wheeling; it's depressing. Not that I like megapolitan California commutes, either, but at least a lot of communities in CA are reasonably prosperous, have good schools, etc.
Wheeling is rust belt it just has a lot of old buildings from a bygone era if you don't appreciate stuff like that I can see how you would say that. Other than that it's fine it has lots of history, lots of festivals, an active boating community due to being on the Ohio River, multiple colleges, an excellent and well funded park system, minor league hockey, a theater that gets national touring plays, good road access being on the I70 corridor, and it's only 50 min from a larger city. It has a lot to offer for a city of its size, it punches way above its weight category. When I try to think of a small city similar to it I struggle, it's fairly unique.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
I usually overlook WV when i need a state to pick on, but Mississippi is a dump and mocking that place is one of my traditional pastimes.

LMAO@ "mortgages paid." Yeah. The Mississippi Dream...a single wide, a beater truck (with Confederate Flag license plate), and enough money to get a six pack a few times a week.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:34 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I usually overlook WV when i need a state to pick on, but Mississippi is a dump and mocking that place is one of my traditional pastimes.

LMAO@ "mortgages paid." Yeah. The Mississippi Dream...a single wide, a beater truck (with Confederate Flag license plate), and enough money to get a six pack a few times a week.
Coming from someone with Detroit in their posting name, lol. I bet its better than Detroit,Camden,Newark or all the African american and Democrat run pits in our country.

The delta is a big part of the reason Mississippi is so low in stats. Do the 37% of blacks that make up Mississippi all have confederate flags on their pickup?

Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Coming from someone with Detroit in their posting name, lol. I bet its better than Detroit,Camden,Newark or all the African american and Democrat run pits in our country.

The delta is a big part of the reason Mississippi is so low in stats. Do the 37% of blacks that make up Mississippi all have confederate flags on their pickup?
Say what you want, but MS is a craphole of a state outside of a few select areas, your racism aside.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

You'd "bet" it's better than Detroit, Camden, Newark or all the other "African American (you Republicans can't resist, can you?) and Democrat run pits in our country?" Really?

What would you be willing to bet? Name something that you have that would be worth betting me for. What do you have that i'd want?

The Delta? Tell me...where have you been in the Delta? What would Mississippi be without the Delta?

Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Yes, but West Virginians despite a "school system" that sucks pay much less of their incomes on mortgages then people on the educated coasts.

I am sure the liberals in California are convincing themselves of that when they are on the 91 in bumper to bumper traffic at 5am in the morning trying to get to the office in Irvine by 7am or the liberals in Irvine who pay $1,000,000 for a small single-family home with $10,000 in property taxes and a 10% state income tax rate for middle-class.

They also have hardly any taxes compared to the coasts either. I just looked at a home online, 3 bedroom family sized house in Martinsburg with $900 in property tax and it is near a commuter rail to Washington DC

2,000 square foot house in Wheeling, WV near Pittsburgh $400 in property tax.
So what? You know anything about economics? Things like supply and demand? CA would not be expensive if it were not desirable. Same goes for any other expensive place.

On the flip side, have you ever been to MS or WV? They are both redneck hellholes worse than the state I currently reside in, AL. Here in AL, we simply say, "Thank God for Mississippi!". (Because they are worse than us, get it?) So if you want redneck culture, junk sitting in people's front yards, a whole bunch of single wide trailers, and similar things, then head on over to MS or WV!

Old 02-10-2017, 03:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Yes, but West Virginians despite a "school system" that sucks pay much less of their incomes on mortgages then people on the educated coasts.

I am sure the liberals in California are convincing themselves of that when they are on the 91 in bumper to bumper traffic at 5am in the morning trying to get to the office in Irvine by 7am or the liberals in Irvine who pay $1,000,000 for a small single-family home with $10,000 in property taxes and a 10% state income tax rate for middle-class.

They also have hardly any taxes compared to the coasts either. I just looked at a home online, 3 bedroom family sized house in Martinsburg with $900 in property tax and it is near a commuter rail to Washington DC

2,000 square foot house in Wheeling, WV near Pittsburgh $400 in property tax.
Because the housing is MUCH cheaper and many of them likely own land that was handed down through generations, especially in rural areas and don't even have mortgages. California is more transient and people are more likely to move in and out for work. Not true of WV.

Many of the "liberals" in California telecommute.

Your comparisons are not equal at all.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:53 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So what? You know anything about economics? Things like supply and demand? CA would not be expensive if it were not desirable. Same goes for any other expensive place.

On the flip side, have you ever been to MS or WV? They are both redneck hellholes worse than the state I currently reside in, AL. Here in AL, we simply say, "Thank God for Mississippi!". (Because they are worse than us, get it?) So if you want redneck culture, junk sitting in people's front yards, a whole bunch of single wide trailers, and similar things, then head on over to MS or WV!
WV and MS are nothing alike despite being similar on some silly rankings that never mean as much as people think they do anyway. Not that I'm being disparaging to MS at all, just that they're nothing alike. I have a good friend from that part of the country and have talked to a lot of the oil and gas guys from MS and AL.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 02-10-2017 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 03:59 PM

64 posts, read 50,867 times
Quote:
So what about the conservatives in Irvine or Riverside? What pray tell are they thinking? Since you know those two areas are actually fairly right leaning.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
WV and MS are nothing alike despite being similar on some silly rankings that never mean as much as people think they do anyway. Not that I'm being disparaging to MS at all, just that they're nothing alike. I have a good friend from that part of the country and have talked to a lot of the oil and gas guys from MS and AL.
Mississippi is a world of its own...believe me.

Even Southerners think it's a laughingstock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies