Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 07:17 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because my point is not valid? Those aren't intermediate pictures?

No they are not. I fly fish the streams all the time. The streams are little changed from the first time I saw them 50 or so years ago.
The first link I gave has a nice slideshow showing all stages of the process.

Pretending streams haven't been destroyed and that the water is clean doesn't make it so. No one is saying every stream in WV has been destroyed but a significant number have.

Here's a good example for you: Mountaintop Mining Legacy: Destroying Appalachia

Old 02-11-2017, 07:20 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to admit I have spent much time in Rural America but also much time in places like California and Colorado which are filled with overwhelmed people trying to live a millionaires lifestyle at the end of the day.

But at the end of the day, people in West Virginia have a non-existent commute, very little pollution, low electric bills from all the coal and most of them have houses paid off with hardly any property taxes.

Love seeing the 91 from Riverside into Orange County at 5am packed with miles long traffic jams as West Virginians will be in bed for a couple more hours with their non-existent commutes

California chasing fantasies by either paying a million plus for a small house or commuting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours each way thinking that they will all be rich executives some day.

2,100 median mortgage payment in California, 900 in West Virginia

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

72% own houses in WV compared to 53% in California

39% pay more then 30% income mortgage in California compared to 21% in West Virginia

Some of us actually do own our homes & vehicles, have a short (<15 minutes) commute, and find the cost of living affordable even for a one-income household. Just sayin'.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:21 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The majority of states are ranked lower than WV.
Lower than WV for what and what is your source?

Old 02-11-2017, 07:25 AM

185 posts, read 169,320 times
Here in Texas, a state choking under conservative Republican rule, our property taxes are sky-high, our public schools struggle to get by due to stingy funding, and we have one of the highest national rates of medically uninsured. All that and we have bad traffic and a majority of home owners have mortgages. Oh, and I'm a liberal and I don't look down at people from Mississippi and West Virginia. So that blows your theory out of the water.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:30 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
I'm not sure why the OP believes liberals are mocking Mississippi and West Virginia. I don't think most give it a thought.

Both states have their attractions and I'm sure your can find some real estate bargains. If you can find a job, you're all set.

Though I do wonder if West Virgina is such a paradise, why are we reading about all the drug abuse and overdose problems?

"The current opioid epidemic has plagued the entire US. But it has hit one state harder than the rest — West Virginia."

West Virginia has high rate of drug-overdose deaths according to CDC.

Why the opioid epidemic is so bad in West Virginia - Business Insider

How West Virginia Became Ground Zero for the Opioid Epidemic | The Fiscal Times

Orphaned by America's opioid epidemic | The Washington Post

Old 02-11-2017, 07:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
And some of us have also lived in Appalachia or the deep South, fought tooth and nail to get out, and will never, ever go back. I've asked my husband if he'd ever go back to Alabama, and he looks at me like I've lost my mind.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The first link I gave has a nice slideshow showing all stages of the process.

Pretending streams haven't been destroyed and that the water is clean doesn't make it so. No one is saying every stream in WV has been destroyed but a significant number have.

Here's a good example for you: Mountaintop Mining Legacy: Destroying Appalachia
I'm an amateur photographer. I have been all over the state. The cool thing is I can get nearly anywhere in the state and back home on the same day.

This stream is smack dab right in the middle of coal country, between Oak Hill and Thurmond.

This was taken at Thurmond.

This one even further south in the middle of nowhere.

I've fished this hole for probably 45 years and it hasn't changed one bit (outside of someone being a jerk and blocking off the best parking area)

Old 02-11-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Lower than WV for what and what is your source?
The link I posted.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Ringo1 you just come across as a bitter jerk or something with an axe to grind you probably didn't get the promotion you wanted at whatever company you was at or something when you were in WV. Plenty of ppl are doing well in WV I've never seen anyone hate on WV like you do. I doubt you even know very much about it.

The cost of living is much lower than many areas. When you factor in the cost of living coefficient WV is ranked around 22 for quality of life. Which means if you're happy with a middle class lifestyle you can achieve it much easier in WV. Average salaries in a state mean nothing alone you have to factor in the cost of living coefficient, the unemployment rate, property taxes, etc.

People do that there, was it banned or something? I'm confused. I was at one of the state parks in last October and there was so many people there it was annoyingly overcrowded.

Only uneducated people that aren't very smart actually believe any state is known for that lol. Let me guess..you voted for Hillary. Anyone in a red state is a deplorable right?
I lived in WV for years, dear, I know quite a lot about the state. Some of my family is still there. Take your bitterness elsewhere.

Promotions have little to do with companies pulling out of WV - they simply leave. You are not facing facts if you don't admit that WV has been hemorraging jobs for years now. Young people continue to leave because they HAVE to and WV is one of the states that is losing population instead of gaining.

That's just a fact; it is what it is.

I don't regret following my job out of state; sorry; I just don't.

Do I think WV needs to try and further promote tourism as opposed to destroying their mountains?

Yes. Yes, I do.

I would love to see WV thrive but denial won't make it happen. You know what they say about taking the girl out of the mountains, etc.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I lived in WV for years, dear, I know quite a lot about the state. Some of my family is still there. Take your bitterness elsewhere.

Promotions have little to do with companies pulling out of WV - they simply leave. You are not facing facts if you don't admit that WV has been hemorraging jobs for years now. Young people continue to leave because they HAVE to and WV is one of the states that is losing population instead of gaining.
They haven't been hemorrhaging jobs. There were never a ton to start with because of the topography of the state and the lack of infrastructure. For years people didn't want roads running everywhere. That has changed somewhat. Toyota has made big investments in the state both with Toyota and Hino.

Many of the young people do leave as they want the amenities of a large city. There is nothing wrong with that and it's never going to happen in WV. That's not good or bad, it's just the way it is.

I make regular trips to Cleveland (my hometown) and Pittsburgh to get things I can not here but every time I realize that I no longer want to deal with the traffic on a daily basis.

Quote:
That's just a fact; it is what it is.

I don't regret following my job out of state; sorry; I just don't.
Nor should you. You shouldn't demean the decisions of others either.

Quote:
Do I think WV needs to try and further promote tourism as opposed to destroying their mountains?

Yes. Yes, I do.
I'm good with going places and having them all to myself. It's nice to walk the banks of the streams and rivers and not have to look at trash (like I do along the Ohio River where I live).

Tourism is great but far too many are disrespectful. One can argue that can go for strip mining also. Make that argument but make it honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies