Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 03:13 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'll spell it out better.

Due to all of the illegals coming her who can only speak Spanish, these offices need to hire people who are dual language Spanish and English.

Who is more likely to speak both languages?

It's not black people or even white people. It's legal Hispanics.

Go to any of the city or county hiring sites, and you'll understand.
When I figured out after retiring from the military that I'd have a better chance getting a job if I knew a couple of programming languages, so I learned a couple.

I took Spanish in high school. If I already lived somewhere it was frequently spoken, I'd have stuck with it. As it is, now living in Texas I'm getting back into it, because not knowing Spanish in Texas is stupid. I say that to other black people down here at least once a week. You're freaking stupid if you're not learning Spanish.

But I also know a heck of a lot of black people who have local government jobs who don't speak Spanish.

So not speaking Spanish is not an excuse, and if it is someone's excuse, then he's stupid for not learning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
There will be self-driving garbage trucks before self-driving cars. The programming algorithms are actually easier, and there is a bigger payback.

If you don't have your little bit on the proper spot on the proper day you will be out of luck.
For sure. Right now, in a lot of communities it's required to have a standardized container placed in a specific location. It's not as though automation need be an all-at-once thing.

First you automate the can-dumper's job so that you only need the truck driver.

Then you automate the "alley" portions of the route so that one driver can control a squad of trucks that are linked on the street but split into separate vehicles to enter alleys (and all of them might be drones).

About the time the rest of the community infrastructure is set for automated vehicles, the entire process can be automated.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
People of any occupation in rural areas tend to be more conservative. It probably is associated with self-reliance and religion.
Really? Because I see an awful lot of really dirt poor rural folks.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And when they're using fake or stolen SS numbers, whose fault is that?

Hint: NOT the employers' fault.
When was the last time you put your SSN on a job application, just to get an interview?

And background checks? Resumes? What about references? Paystubs from previous employers? Confirming employment records with previous companies? The articles you and others posted clearly show that employers KNEW they were illegal and STILL hired them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Bottom line: Illegal aliens KNOW they aren't authorized to work in the US. Violating the law is on them. Deport ALL illegal aliens.
You evidently don't even bother to read the links you post. My goodness.

Stop replying.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:49 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When I figured out after retiring from the military that I'd have a better chance getting a job if I knew a couple of programming languages, so I learned a couple.

I took Spanish in high school. If I already lived somewhere it was frequently spoken, I'd have stuck with it. As it is, now living in Texas I'm getting back into it, because not knowing Spanish in Texas is stupid. I say that to other black people down here at least once a week. You're freaking stupid if you're not learning Spanish.

But I also know a heck of a lot of black people who have local government jobs who don't speak Spanish.

So not speaking Spanish is not an excuse, and if it is someone's excuse, then he's stupid for not learning it.

Why in the hell should native English speakers learn Spanish? Most Spanish speakers in our country know how to speak English so we already have our common national de facto language of English to communicate with them in. If they refuse to learn English that's their problem. It shouldn't be the other way around!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why in the hell should native English speakers learn Spanish? Most Spanish speakers in our country know how to speak English so we already have our common national de facto language of English to communicate with them in. If they refuse to learn English that's their problem. It shouldn't be the other way around!
Why the hell should black people have to act like white people to get white people to hire us?

For black people, it doesn't make any difference--We have to do what we have to do to get hired by people who are not our color. We have to understand that, and it makes no difference whether it means speaking Spanish or standard English. It's all someone else's culture.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:12 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,472 times
Quote:
There will be self-driving garbage trucks before self-driving cars. The programming algorithms are actually easier, and there is a bigger payback.

If you don't have your little bit on the proper spot on the proper day you will be out of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
For sure. Right now, in a lot of communities it's required to have a standardized container placed in a specific location. It's not as though automation need be an all-at-once thing.

First you automate the can-dumper's job so that you only need the truck driver.

Then you automate the "alley" portions of the route so that one driver can control a squad of trucks that are linked on the street but split into separate vehicles to enter alleys (and all of them might be drones).

About the time the rest of the community infrastructure is set for automated vehicles, the entire process can be automated.
I'll give you that.

However, people will be needed to program the trucks, and throughout most phases of disposal.

I mentioned this field because I remember reading how some people can climb the ladder in waste management by going to college. (It just seemed funny to read that some garbage collectors have or are working on a college degree.) I imagine the same will continue to be true in the future, only the jobs themselves will be different.

Trash and dirty diapers...two things this world will always contain.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:19 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Waste Management!

From what I read, everyone from the neighborhood trash collector to the top brass in the waste management field make really good money.

Not a glamorous job, but trash removal cannot be done online.
But it can be automated.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:35 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Lol. Second time today this topic has been posted today. Moist.

Source...?
You need a source? lol How can someone be so uninformed they do not know that illegals are taking jobs American minorities are working. Hospitality, unskilled construction, and landscaping. Those jobs have also seen wages drop.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I'll give you that.

However, people will be needed to program the trucks, and throughout most phases of disposal.
Computer programming is being automated--programs are being designed to maintain and update themselves and write new programs. In another 10 years, there won't be even half as many programmers employed as there are now. Something like programming a drone vehicle would be a one-time job by a company that programs all kinds of drones.

So there will be hundreds of garbage collectors in a city replaced by a handful of drone operators. Automation has never, ever resulted in an overall net increase of workers. It always results in an overall net decrease in workers--that's the way automation is supposed to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies