Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,600 times

Advertisements

Strange that you don't like fiction because "it's not real" yet your favorite film is "Dead Poets Society," which fairly deeply references poetry and other works of Literature which probably fit your description of "not real."

Maybe you need to read better "stuff"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 05:17 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK, Truthhurts, we've "butted heads" before, so in all sincerity, here's another question for you. (I got sort of "beaten up" earlier for broaching this sort of thing, by those who, in MY opinion, simply didn't see my point)..

In view of your extensive "profile", above, (which I'm sure is accurate), and in view of the HUGE way in which it contradicts the popular "media" view (and the Al Sharpton view) of what "regular" blacks are "supposed" to feel and think, What, in your personal opinion, is the relevance of the term "THE BLACK COMMUNITY" ? Is it a useful term, or is it really NOT?

....In other words, (as I TRIED to ask once before), what connection do YOU feel there is between YOURSELF, Al Sharpton, Tookie Williams, Colin Powell, Snoop Dogg, Barak Obama, Notorious B.I.G., Louis Farakhan, Condoleeza Rice, Malcolm X, 50 Cent, and Clarence Thomas?

And, if there IS any "common thread" running through ALL these folks, is it in any way exclusive of the commonality they share with NON-Blacks? In your OPINION, do black professionals and college graduates feel closer to the "Crips" and the "Bloods", OR do they feel closer to other, NON-black professionals and college graduates? Are they CORRECT in this, or NOT, (in your estimation).?

In other words, is there ACTUALLY a "Black Comunity" AT ALL, or has it largely become simply an artificial "short cut" term favored by the media?
I'll answer this. I would say that there is a black community, but it's hard to define to people who aren't black. It has nothing to do with how we live our lives, but it still is a cultural thing (hope you understand what I mean by that).
Al Sharpton: An idiot and an embarassment to my race.

Tookie Williams: A guy who started a gang to defend himself and his homies, but once the gang got really big and everybody feared him, the power he possessed got to his head and he turned to committing crimes instead of trying to make South Central a better place.

Colin Powell: I don't really pay attention to him, so I can't make any comments. I will say that he is with the wrong administration.

Snoop Dogg: I followed his career from the beginning. I'm a fan. His rap sheet gives him a bad image, but he is actually a talented artists. He's one of the few in the mainstream hip-hop I listen to (I listen to tons of undergound hip-hop because the quality is way better. Most mainstrean hip-hop these days is trash.). Being from the inner-city myself I can say that most people that are not do not and will not understand why people listen to hardcore/gangsta rap. Just like many whites do not find some black comedians funny, but some of us do because we can relate to what they're saying. For example, watch Katt Williams: The Pimp Chronicles and listen to his part about marijuana. Many people I've met don't find it funny, but I do because what he's saying is true about drug dealers in the city.

Barack Obama: I can't stand him. I would be happy to put a black person in office, but it takes more than a skin color to get my vote. I would never vote for Obama. When a black libertarian runs for office, I'll have a field day.

Notorious B.I.G.: Wasn't a fan although he was talented. I prefer Tupac.

Louis Farakhan: Same as Sharpton, except he attempts to sound like a genius and it backfires all the time. He said black people were more evolved because they can make dark and light children. That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Condoleeza: Same as Colin Powell

Malcom X: I really can't even begin to describe what he means to me. He is an icon to blacks everywhere. That's all I can say without filling up this whole thread.

50 Cent: Untalented and an embarassment to hip-hop. Also turned his back on the place he came from. Nothing is wrong with getting out of the hood (I just did recently), but to turn your back on where you came from automatically costs you respect as far as most blacks are concerned.

Clarence Thomas: Love the guy. Never seen a black guy in the public eye who upholds the Constitution like him. If he ever ran for president, he'd get my vote.

I would say that many blacks are connected through their love of music (sorry to sound like I'm stereotyping, but I can't name one black person who doesn't like good music). Our culture connects us as well. It's hard to define our culture, because many follow some parts of it while others don't, etc. For example, soul food has long been a part of black culture, but many blacks are vegetarians (myself included). At the same time, they still are followers of other parts of black culture.

As far as who we feel the connection to, that depends more on how the person grew up. I grew up in the inner-city and went to school with many gang members, so I don't feel uncomfortable around them. In fact I feel closer to them because I've been around them more than college graduates and professionals. The only graduates I can say I've been around are my teachers in school. Now that I live in the suburbs, I'm around lots of them. In a strange way, they can never connect with me like the drug dealers and gang members I grew up around. I could never turn my back on where I'm from. I'm going to college pretty soon myself.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:21 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts;3018331[COLOR=black
Do you feel you are a victim of whites?[/color]

You've never been pulled over in a white neighborhood simply for "driving while black"?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You've never been pulled over in a white neighborhood simply for "driving while black"?
Most people who claim that are simply pulling the race card. There are some instances though in which people are pulled over because of racial profiling, but it doesn't happen much. My step-dad was in one of these situations once. It's a shame that racism will always exist, among all races.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM

746 posts, read 846,729 times
Quote:
OK, Truthhurts, we've "butted heads" before, so in all sincerity, here's another question for you. (I got sort of "beaten up" earlier for broaching this sort of thing, by those who, in MY opinion, simply didn't see my point)..

In view of your extensive "profile", above, (which I'm sure is accurate), and in view of the HUGE way in which it contradicts the popular "media" view (and the Al Sharpton view) of what "regular" blacks are "supposed" to feel and think, What, in your personal opinion, is the relevance of the term "THE BLACK COMMUNITY" ? Is it a useful term, or is it really NOT? ?
The term is not useful by any stretch of the imagination, because it takes a collectivist approach to group 36 million “individual†people under one distinct community. Would it be fair to assume, that every dribble of garbage that comes out of Rush Limbaugh’s mouth is exactly related to everything the 220 million white community thinks? (Sorry, to answer with a question lol. )

For instance the black community I grew up in was filled with highly skilled blacks, whites, asians, and foreigners. This is a product of my parents education and the fact, that they obviously would not be hanging around an inner city project. However, this is a better answer to your question.

I can only speak for myself, but as a black person I’d feel much more respected if they referred to blacks as the poor black class, the lower middle black class, the middle/upper middle (our values are typically the same) and the newly formed wealthy black class (I only say newly formed because there are a lot more millionaires now than ever before.)

Within these specific economic segment points you have people with similiar values. When you say "black community" you lump 36 million people with distinctly different values into the same group. Not all blacks value education the same way the black segment i grew up with does. Similiarly, with the white educated/economic class. You certainly wouldn't say that West Virginia whites have educational values similiar to Greenich, CT whites would you? Macmeal, why would you think its okay to lump inner city project Detroit blacks with educated blacks that live in Woodmore, MD? You are clearly dealing with two dinstincly seperate classes of people. The only thing that is the same is their race, but beyond that nothing else.

My point is there are too many segments, levels, and degrees to label this community “the black communityâ€, so the safest way to label blacks would be the same way you label whites by economic class. I do not see any need for it to be different. What happens in South East DC in the project is of little concern to my family and friends in Gated Communities miles away. Our concerns are different. I for instance live in the Northeast in a nice quite town and have no concern about inner city issues. I’m more concerned about things that directly affect me. Macmeal, do you worry about poor whites in West Virginia when you go to bed at night?

Just because, I’m black and educated, does not make it my job to worry about the 8 million poor blacks in the inner city; they should be worrying about themselves. However, that’s not to say I have no total concern for different black economic segments of the "community," but they do not rank highly on my list of things to do. (Just like poor whites in West Virginia wouldnt rank highly on yours.)

Now, if I was a billionaire, then I would feel a duty or obligation to help, but until, that happens, I can only pursue my interest to the best of my ability and hope the invisible hands plays its part. I have never signed a contact with the supposed “black community,†so I’m under no contractual agreement once i get an education to all of a sudden start caring about anyone outside of my friends or family.

Its funny you think this way in reference to blacks. Would you ask Donald Trump why he doesn’t help poor white people in West Virginia. We have no more moral obligation than any other community to there poor. I deal with the black upper middle/middle class. I rarely have to go outside of that world. The life i'm accustomed to does not allow me much contact with inner city or for that matter rural blacks. However, from some blacks who were raised in those environments i'm sure they feel different. Perhaps they feel a need to go "home" like any other person would etc, but because that was never my home I feel no obligation to randomly go driving through a ghetto.

Quote:
....In other words, (as I TRIED to ask once before), what connection do YOU feel there is between YOURSELF, Al Sharpton, Tookie Williams, Colin Powell, Snoop Dogg, Barak Obama, Notorious B.I.G., Louis Farakhan, Condoleeza Rice, Malcolm X, 50 Cent, and Clarence Thomas??
Sorry, I sort of answered that above, but I can quickly some it up. Connections I would have would be to educated blacks of any political persuasion, Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Clarence Thomas, Barrack Obama, Vernon Jordan, and other intellectually intelligent white collar blacks. However, that is not to say I would ever look down on a blue collar black that owns his own plumbing business etc. Like I said economic status is not of my concern when making friends, but good, law abiding, trusthworthy, and reliable people are, so that's not to say i would not make friends with a poor or blue collar black, but because I just do not come into contact with these sorts of people on that regular of a basis i just wouldnt have all that ample of an opportunity to befriend them.

And, if there IS any "common thread" running through ALL these folks, is it in any way exclusive of the commonality they share with NON-Blacks? In your OPINION, do black professionals and college graduates feel closer to the "Crips" and the "Bloods", OR do they feel closer to other, NON-black professionals and college graduates? Are they CORRECT in this, or NOT, (in your estimation).?

In other words, is there ACTUALLY a "Black Comunity" AT ALL, or has it largely become simply an artificial "short cut" term favored by the media?[/quote]

I'll just answer this one of the last two paragraphs, as i think i coverd most of this in the first long one.

Al Sharpton and Malcom X differ so much so it is not even funny. Al Sharpton is nothing more than a sly business man. He makes his living off the media. He’s employed as long as poor blacks think they cannot fend for themselves and as long as whites back down to his tactics. He is totally the opposite of Malcom X, who advocated, self sufficiency, no government involvement (except protecting black peoples rights and freedoms), and being law abiding citizens. The two approaches to black poverty and the black poor are totally different.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Most people who claim that are simply pulling the race card. There are some instances though in which people are pulled over because of racial profiling, but it doesn't happen much. My step-dad was in one of these situations once. It's a shame that racism will always exist, among all races.

My God, but don't you overgeneralize. You do it on every thread on this forum. Maybe you read about how many black U.S. Congressmen have been pulled over in this country for no reason. Then get back to us.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Strange that you don't like fiction because "it's not real" yet your favorite film is "Dead Poets Society," which fairly deeply references poetry and other works of Literature which probably fit your description of "not real."

Maybe you need to read better "stuff"?

MOD CUT Why are you personally attacking things i like? Did you not read the start of this forum???

Next let me explain the main point of the movie "Dead Poets Society." It was about following your dreams in the face of adversity. Challenging the status qou and willing to live by the motto "Give me Liberty or Give me Death." The main character, because his father did not give him free liberities to pursue his own individuals passion choose death as the best option rather than live without freedom of choice! To me that is the main point of the movie. Not to mention the powerful bond, that each of the students shared, because of poetry. It is one of the best movies ever made! My favorite part is when they all stand on chairs and salute Robin Williams " Captain my Captan." He told them they could be whatever they wanted to be, if they only followed their dreams. He reminded them you need to have passion and perserverance, because others will attempt to stop you etc for thier own selfish needs.......blah blah blah....end of story GREAT MOVIE, Moderator Cut: personal insult

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-03-2008 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Please refrain from personal insults

Old 03-03-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post

What does this have to do with being the victim of whites?

I have been pulled over in predomintely white neighborhoods twice. The first time was because my front light was out. The second time was because I was speeding.

I guess i should be crying racism? However, to be honest the light incident pissed me off, because i got a ticket for it. I had a few choice words, which I probably should not have done, but the jerk ended up writing a ticket for it. However, if you asking me have a been the victim of racial profiling I can only say the jury still out. I have been in the car when plenty of white friends have been pulled over etc.

However, i do understand just because i have not been the victim of consistent "racial profiling" it obviously happens. I'm not saying it doesn't, but i'm sure not to the extent, that the people that like to use yell and cry about. Just my opinion, i hvae no factual data to pull from other than my experiences.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:47 PM

21 posts, read 42,552 times
Hey truthhurst...you are even amusing over here.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
truthhurts...

While I *do* admire where you're coming from, the sad fact of the matter is that the people you are trying to reach simply will NOT be reached by this sort of thing.

You can talk about how you're "not like that" until you're blue in the face, but until people actually open their minds and accept it, all they see are words.

And, REALLY seriously here...Larry the Cable Guy??? *confused*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies