Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Tigger, you have done a great job avoiding all my questions, which i asked a few post earlier. This leads me to believe you have no desire to seek the truth.

Anyway, what percentage of the black community supports Al Sharpton. I'm obviously not privy to this information, but you seem to be all knowledgable on the Al Sharpton and black statistics, so could you please cite the poll in which all black support for Al Sharpton was listed????

Clearly, only a person with this information could make the claims you're making, because if you do not have this information present, then dare i say, all you have is an opinion, MOD CUT
I know your question was to Tigger but I would like to address the part about the percentage Black Americans supporting Sharpton. While, of course I do not know the percentage-here are my thoughts:

I believe it is newsworthy for there to be race problems in this country. How often does the news show a story about a town or school where people of different backgrounds live in relative harmony? I would say never. However, whenever Sharpton, Jackson, etc speaks it is on the news. They know it will be contriversial and the media thrives on contriversy and not on reporting the news-IMHO.

Unfortunately, many people watch the MSM and take it as gospel. How many people today really think for themselves? They see Sharpton on tv and assume he speaks for all Black Americans-how ridiculous is that? How often on the MSM do you see people like LaShawna Barber or Jesse Lee Peterson-Black Americans who are just that Americans who are Black. However, they are the opposite of Sharpton, etc. They do not play the victim card and I believe feel that America is not a racist country. IMHO, how often have you ever seen the MSM interview Black Americans who do not like/follow Sharpton etc.? It is not newsworthy. Instead if Sharpton is protesting something they interview-usually white people against Sharpton and black people for him. Does that mean that is how 100% of the people think. Of course not. The MSM needs to get the image of white against black and I think that is disgusting and it makes me sick.

I know I am rambling on but the point that I am trying to make is that the MSM seldom shows Black, White, Brown, Yellow and Red people going about their day, interacting, being friends, getting married etc. They do not show the America which I beleive to be true-not really caring about race but about character. That does not make the headline on the 5:00 news. Are there racist people of all backgrounds in the country? Absoultely. Are horrible things done sometimes by those people? Absoultey. However, I believe that is not the norm.

Just my 2 cents.

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I have seen this quote before and wow-for Booker T. Washington to have the insight of the Al Sharptons and the Jesse Jacksons of the future almost sends chills up my spine. He wrote these words long before the civil rights movement. He wrote these words when Black Americans were in most cases not allowed to vote, go to white schools etc. To me, the words offered the hidden optomisim that things would improve for Black Americans but the reality that if Black Americans were treated equally, then some people would still continue to make a career out of injustices that were no longer there. Everytime I read this I get chills.

Nicolem
Washington wrote those words as an ex-slave who felt, in some cases, pitty for those who owned him. Washington was also critical of those Negroes who would dare aspire to be anything beyond laborers, sharecroppers and servants.

By the same token, there are plenty of quotes from W.E.B. DuBois that would also send chills up your spine.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 AM

21 posts, read 42,515 times
Quote:
Tigger, you have done a great job avoiding all my questions, which i asked a few post earlier. This leads me to believe you have no desire to seek the truth.

Anyway, what percentage of the black community supports Al Sharpton. I'm obviously not privy to this information, but you seem to be all knowledgable on the Al Sharpton and black statistics, so could you please cite the poll in which all black support for Al Sharpton was listed????

Clearly, only a person with this information could make the claims you're making, because if you do not have this information present, then dare i say, all you have is an opinion, MOD CUT!
OP, it seems your pattern, is to use "insults" if I disagree with you (conversations with you on other threads). I was busy last night and I am very busy today, but I will get back to you. You should read my previous thread "although" I did not go into detail to "why" some stereo-type still exists. It seems that you are just on defense mode most of the time and when you are on that mode you can't hear what I am really saying. You just want to argue.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
I'm white and love fried chicken and watermelon.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Me too

I've never understood the stereotypes involving black people and food. Where I come from, whites and blacks eat the exact same things.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
lol! on a lighter note I was thinking the same thing.

hey stereotyping,we are all guilty of it sometimes.I mean me,Im a long haired rock n roller white boy who loves the type of woman a brother would typically like ,phat and alot of junk in da trunk.Ive seen black guys comment that white guys like skinny women......not always true.

With threads that have mentioned "the 60's liberal hippies".You see me and you might stereotype me but you know from my posts Im generally a libertarian leaning Republican.

I cant tell you how many times I have been in a bar or party and someone asks if I can get them some weed or something and I don't touch drugs at all.

But I brush it off and go with the flow,if it bothered me Id change my image but I am who I am.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 AM

272 posts, read 784,328 times
Great post!
We could easily build a list such as you did for every "race" and ethnic group....and then bring down the stereotypes just as easily....
Bravo Bravo!

Personally ...I've always found bigotry to be a rather weird human characteristic...
It just seems that regardless of all the similarities between two people...or peoples...there will always be the lingering "not 'I' " attitudes...
For example...places like Ireland...Northern Ireland specifically...
They're all Irish...all white...all speak a form of English....are all Christians....Ah..but low and behold...some are Protestant...and others Catholic...and dang it that's all they require to go at each other with horrid violence.....Nutty...
Rwanda...They're all Black.....all speak the same language...all from the same Nation...oh...but wait some are Hutu's and others are Tutsi...well..that's all they need to go at each other to the death...crazy....
Unfortunately there are plenty of examples of this throughout history...
Our challenge...is to judge people on their actions...on their skills and their individual merit...not on purely visual external factors. Qualified people need to be in positions commensurate with their abilities and not rejected, ignored or held back because of thinly veiled stupidity. The country needs qualified people in all manner of positions...from all walks of life....We loose out when we get into this 'rejection' rut...rejecting others for any spurious reason.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM

762 posts, read 1,595,894 times
Quote:

Did you eat Fried Chicken and other "southern food" in your home?

No, my mom cooked a lot of creol dishes, but we never ate fried chicken, because it is bad for you heath wise. We did eat a lot of Mexican food (everyone really liked creol and spicy mexican food). Alot of sauteed spinach and broccoli i was a big fan as a kid. However, when visiting some southern relatives i was exposed to "southern black cusine" like collard greens (which i liked), but found pig feet and other fatty foods digusting.
I dont like sothern food but no fried chicken? Really no fried chicken?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:54 PM

746 posts, read 845,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post
I dont like sothern food but no fried chicken? Really no fried chicken?

No sorry to disappoint you, but my mom is an educated health nut! Anything with just a little bit of grease on it we did not eat. Fast food was a special privledge lol. I guess, if these helps comfort your stereotype we did eat bacon, that is sort of fried and fatty. Although, to be honest I do enjoy Popeyes chicken strips on ocassion. I almost never ever get a chance to eat it in the northeast, because they do not have them. However, they have them at my parents second home in florida, so Popeyes and Checkers are fatty greasy heaven for me. When i do get a chance "I love that chicken from popeyes," but as far as someone at the house cooking it, i'd have a better chance catching a smurf.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 PM

762 posts, read 1,595,894 times
Quote:
No sorry to disappoint you, but my mom is an educated health nut! Anything with just a little bit of grease on it we did not eat. Fast food was a special privledge lol. I guess, if these helps comfort your stereotype we did eat bacon, that is sort of fried and fatty. Although, to be honest I do enjoy Popeyes chicken strips on ocassion. I almost never ever get a chance to eat it in the northeast, because they do not have them. However, they have them at my parents second home in florida, so Popeyes and Checkers are fatty greasy heaven for me. When i do get a chance "I love that chicken from popeyes," but as far as someone at the house cooking it, i'd have a better chance catching a smurf.

Ahahaha Popeyes is very good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies