Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 05:34 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Here's one of the problems with all these types of proposals:
Once they're enacted they become the new floor.

Raise minimum wage to $15/hour because that's "liveable"? Great. It will, in fairly short order, become the new unliveable wage and will need to be raised again.

Enact a Minimum Family Income of whatever, it will soon become not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 05:43 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
But what's wrong with paying people to nor have kids? Right now, society is paying people to have kids. The more kids they have out of wedlock, the more money they get. What's wrong with the reverse?

Old 03-09-2017, 05:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
No, but the attitude of poverty gets passed from generation to generation. Impoverished people also have a much higher fertility rate than everybody else.
So the logic here is to rid the country of poor people by eliminating their ability to reproduce?yeah that'll work why not just build gas ovens and be done with the problem completely.
Poor people ,the very idea, they just dont belong in a civilized American society ,kick em to the curb and make America great again.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,330 times
Quote:
And your point? They still pass it on to their children.

Since it is learned behavior then the cycle can be broken if we make the effort to change what they learn from a young age. It would be hard work but worth it if we can really change the whole belief system that underlies it.

I read a great article about it some time ago and will try to find it and post a link.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So the logic here is to rid the country of poor people by eliminating their ability to reproduce?yeah that'll work why not just build gas ovens and be done with the problem completely.
Poor people ,the very idea, they just dont belong in a civilized society ,kick em to the curb and make America great again.
What part of voluntary don't you understand?

Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Since it is learned behavior then the cycle can be broken if we make the effort to change what they learn from a young age. It would be hard work but worth it if we can really change the whole belief system that underlies it.

I read a great article about it some time ago and will try to find it and post a link.
Your idea has already been tried for 50 years. Sure, it will work if society actually has the political will for it. But it doesn't.

Again, right now for each kid out of wedlock, we pay women a bigger sum. What's wrong with the reverse? As long as they have no kids, they get paid. It is a very similar system to what we have now.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Can you imagine the millions upon millions who will flood across our borders for $2000 a month?

Old 03-09-2017, 06:10 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Here's the solution. Basic income for life of about ~$2000/month to anyone with one condition: voluntarily submit oneself to sterilization. Within a generation or so, the problem of poverty will be solved.
* Minimum wage is about 1250/month. Some people work hard for low (or min) wages.
* A person voluntarily gets sterilized and gets 2000/month of tax payer's month for life for sitting on their rear end... and not contributing to anything.

Yet we are still a country that cannot grasp the concept of a living wage?

Sounds like the plan would create a generational cycle of the underclass or caste that continues to siphons from not only tax payer funds but also people from those at the lowest tiers of income.

There are better plans and ideas to try out first. I think we should outlaw unemployment and benefits including unemployment insurance. If you don't have a job, you are automatically employed by the government and required to report to work; to be trained and put to work. Even if it as menial as collecting trash on the highways. No more sitting at home without job possibly collecting benefits/entitlements. But that's a different discussion....

I will say this though. I've already had my children and don't want more. Can I get sterilized and use the $2000/month for life as part of my retirement plan? I can retire early. That sounds awesome.

I also spent a chunk of my childhood in a poor neighborhood. Poverty is inheritable.. not in the biological sense but in a situational. Not all of the families struggling were always in poverty. It takes one screw up to slip into poverty. Once they slip into poverty, their children don't have the same access to resources (schools) that the family once had.... and their children will struggle with poverty, their children's children will struggle... and so on. If you want to come up with more viable ideas for poverty, start with why children in poor neighborhoods don't have the same quality access to resources. My wife works those poor districts... she is from middle-upper class upbringing... the differences of her own experiences as a child and the ones she works with now is like night and day.

Last edited by usayit; 03-09-2017 at 06:20 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 06:24 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
I was going to look up some stats on how much the US spends on welfare programs each year. But it's pretty difficult to waddle through all the right wing nutcase websites claiming ridiculously large numbers.

Let's just agree that each year the US spends a lot of money on welfare. And there is no end in sight as poor people have the highest fertility rate among all groups of people.

So, let's not use the word theft. We'll call it an investment that we won't get to see the results for at least a generation.
The Left has been calling welfare and "investment" for generations....... Where is your return?

The only thing that generational welfare has returned is more generational welfare.
(And more democrat voters).

Anytime a liberal calls something an "investment" ....hold onto your wallet.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:28 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Can you imagine the millions upon millions who will flood across our borders for $2000 a month?
No doubt.
And why cheap out? progressives should propose basic income to everyone on the planet.

Open borders and a welfare state= shining example of economic illiteracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies