Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 07:05 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Can you imagine the millions upon millions who will flood across our borders for $2000 a month?
Illegals aren't qualify for benefits or welfare. Obama told us that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 07:39 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Originally Posted by katzpaw
Poverty is not a gene.

And it isn't just about attitudes and upbringing. Poverty is very likely also a function of behavioral tendencies and inabilities that have a genetic basis. Some people are simply born with brains and bodies that function in a way as to make it more difficult for them to be successful. Incentivizing such people to have fewer kids makes sense.
This.

I understand wanting to incentivize people not to have children that they can't afford.

But the whole sterilization thing is just a non starter.

How about negative financial reinforcements?

Say, for every child someone on basic income has, they loose $200.00 a month off that income?

Or outside the scenario of basic income, negative tax credits instead of a tax deduction?

Old 03-09-2017, 07:43 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Haha, 3 continuous posts from conservative crazies that didn't actually read this thread before posting.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:45 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
In another thread, someone suggested the following solution to poverty. I can't remember who this person was, so if you think this was your idea please speak up.

Here's the solution. Basic income for life of about ~$2000/month to anyone with one condition: voluntarily submit oneself to sterilization. Within a generation or so, the problem of poverty will be solved.

This suggestion was written on here a few weeks ago. On the outside, it sounds horrid, doesn't it? But I cannot find anything logically wrong with this policy. Put aside political correctness for a moment. What exactly is wrong with this solution?
Nope.

Best method is just end welfare.

Period.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This.

I understand wanting to incentivize people not to have children that they can't afford.

Say, for every child someone on basic income has, they loose $200.00 a month off that income?

Or outside the scenario of basic income, negative tax credits instead of a tax deduction?
This works, too. Remember that the goal is to discourage people from breeding out kids they cannot afford. So, sterilization is just a one method out of many possible ones. If sterilization is too much, come up with another way.

Right now, single mothers are rewarded with free money for having more kids they can't afford. What's wrong with coming up with ways to get them to stop having kids they can't afford?

Old 03-09-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This.

That's ridiculous. Do you want to starve children? The poor people already can't afford their children and you want them to have even less money?

I think $2,000 with voluntary sterilization and forfeiting the voting right is a fair trade. The poor don't have to take the offer if they don't like it. This should be $2,000 per person. If they have 3 children, a single mother would get $8000 a month.

I'd even suggest to make the existing welfare available so that they have choices.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:11 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I refuse to accept that the poor will always be with us.
Then you are doomed to a life of disappointment.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:12 AM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
That's ridiculous. Do you want to starve children? The poor people already can't afford their children and you want them to have even less money?

I think $2,000 with voluntary sterilization and forfeiting the voting right is a fair trade. The poor don't have to take the offer if they don't like it. This should be $2,000 per person. If they have 3 children, a single mother would get $8000 a month.

I'd even suggest to make the existing welfare available so that they have choices.

That's $96000 a year, roughly $42000 more than the Median Family Income for the US. Is that really a good idea? Think about that for a minute.

It's also $12000 a year more than I made as a 30 year teacher with a Master's degree plus enough credits for a second one.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's $96000 a year, roughly $42000 more than the Median Family Income for the US. Is that really a good idea? Think about that for a minute.

It's also $12000 a year more than I made as a 30 year teacher with a Master's degree plus enough credits for a second one.
You can apply too. How about for each child under 18, they get $1000 instead? But when they come of age, they need to go through sterilization too.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 03-09-2017 at 08:27 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

This is why I said we can make this fair and make this option available to everyone. You can apply to get the extra $2k/month, or however much they decide on. Remember, people, that the 2k figure is just a number I pulled out of my ass. The point is just an incentive for people to not breed kids they cannot afford. So please don't get hung up on moot details and try to look at the general idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies