Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:03 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

I can give my own modern day experiences in terms of race relations. Many Hispanic persons I've met, I've gotten along with them. Many became friends of mine. I've also ran into some bigoted Hispanic persons. One notable experience I have is when I was the one of two Blacks working at a restaurant. I got bullied by some of my co-workers. Alot of the bullying was racially motivated, as in being called racial slurs and having racist jokes hurled at me. Management didn't even take it seriously.

My experiences, I have had my mix of the good and the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 03:15 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,336 times
I grew up in Miami where there are tons of blacks and Hispanics. We generally get along.

I know this is gonna ruffle some feathers, but I realized this at an early age: Hispanics have the ability of choosing whether they wanna act "black", "white", or whatever their ethnicity is, and no one makes a big deal about it.

Case and point: I knew a Cuban family that lived about 3-4 houses down. I knew all of the siblings individually from school, but had no clue that they were related until I went over one day to hang out with the brother my age (Kenny). Manny (the older brother) wore JeanCo jeans, had the chain attached to the wallet, spike bracelets, gauge earrings (before it was cool), hair dyed blonde, had pale skin, hung out with the white kids. Kenny wore Dickies, Reeboks, tall tees (we call them "arabs" in Miami), had more gold teeth than me, talked super ignorant, dropped the n-bomb at least 16 times in a paragraph, and no one batted an eye. The little sister (Suzel) had the big hoop earrings, sharpie eyebrows, bubble gum smacking, typical chonga attitude. Like I said, I seriously had no clue they were related because they all acted so different.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,414 times
They've been the minority majority for a while now and nothing has changed.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:02 AM

87 posts, read 78,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Even Latino "intermarriage" is a fantasy.

Historically, when intermarriage was illegal, Mexicans and other Spanish-speaking nationality groups always married white. That wasnt considered to be a mixed marriage at all. There was no Loving vs. Virginia for "Spanish" people - they could always marry other white people.

When they introduced the ridiculous "hispanic" concept, suddenly a Cuban marrying a white American became an "interracial marriage."

People are even rewriting history and claiming that Lucy and Desi were the first "interracial" couple even though they were not back then. Nobody knew that back then.

Everything about the "hispanic" group is fake.
I'm sorry Mr. Tritone but you come off as a very ignorant and closed minded person; I agree not all Hispanics are people of color (if you even believe in that term) but by American standards most certainly are and have been treated as such. Until you live the live of a perceived Latino in America please don't speak on things you don't know. There are even Asian Hispanics see politician Alberto Fujimori and black Hispanics see Cuban boxer Erislandry Lara. Only in America is Hispanic considered a race; I'm not sure if you are upset about perceived discrimination towards your family but I have to tell you your viewpoints are quite mistaken.

I wouldn't speak on what it's like to be a black person because I am not seen as one by American society and that is all it boils down to.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:03 AM

87 posts, read 78,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I grew up in Miami where there are tons of blacks and Hispanics. We generally get along.

I know this is gonna ruffle some feathers, but I realized this at an early age: Hispanics have the ability of choosing whether they wanna act "black", "white", or whatever their ethnicity is, and no one makes a big deal about it.

Case and point: I knew a Cuban family that lived about 3-4 houses down. I knew all of the siblings individually from school, but had no clue that they were related until I went over one day to hang out with the brother my age (Kenny). Manny (the older brother) wore JeanCo jeans, had the chain attached to the wallet, spike bracelets, gauge earrings (before it was cool), hair dyed blonde, had pale skin, hung out with the white kids. Kenny wore Dickies, Reeboks, tall tees (we call them "arabs" in Miami), had more gold teeth than me, talked super ignorant, dropped the n-bomb at least 16 times in a paragraph, and no one batted an eye. The little sister (Suzel) had the big hoop earrings, sharpie eyebrows, bubble gum smacking, typical chonga attitude. Like I said, I seriously had no clue they were related because they all acted so different.
It's crazy how every region in the US deals so differently with Hispanics; it is a true cultural phenomenon in this planet.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:10 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You're late to the party.

There's already been previews of this scenario in multiple cities across America, and it hasn't been pretty.

In fact some of the worst hate crimes in U.S. history have occurred in California, and they've involved Mexican/Hispanics vs Blacks (and Mexican/Hispanics vs Asians in some southern California cities). We're talking gang members openly targeting non gang members solely based on skin color, on all sides.

I bet many here have never heard of the case of Virgil Henry III, a young black man who was chased by a mob of Latino men and women throughout the streets of Hawaiian Gardens before being cornered in a parking lot and his head was bashed in (1999). That incident was buried in the media and the only reason it became known a few years later was due to an investigative reporting by a L.A. Times news reporter. Even going back earlier, to 1993, the Hawaiian Gardens gang members were molotoving innocent black citizens in their neighborhoods.

And there you have it. While some black activists may speak out about things like these, others will choose to look the other way whenever people of color kill each other over skin color, or if there's racial tensions between 'minorities.' Who knows what the reasoning is behind this lunacy.

Of course, if it's a white person that commits hate crimes, they'll have no problems sensationalizing it. As an example, the news media in Southern California had no problems sensationalizing the white gang Nazi Lowriders attacking blacks.
Yes, ironically, the racial tension I witnessed between Mexican teens and black teens in rural AZ back in the 80s was far worse than the "Deep South" of North FL, Southern GA, and Southern AL in recent years. It's even worse in the prison systems like shown in "Blood In Blood Out".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIOuT436H5A

An even deeper irony is that many Mexicans are genetically part West African. But they usually don't admit it or even acknowledge it. A DNA profile would reveal the West African ancestry of many modern "Mexicans" which is an ethnicity mixed with European, indigenous, West African, and North African gene pools.
African Roots Stretch Deep Into Mexico : Mexico History

To be fair, a lot young modern Mexicans are open-minded. Selena Gomez (half white) is dating a part Ethiopian rapper. But Spaniards had already mixed with North Africans for thousands of years: Morocco, Ethiopia (at one point part of Roman Empire), and Arabic regions. Spain and Italy intermixed heavily, and both were highly present in North African. Hence, the gene pool of Spaniards is already intermixed with North Africa. In Mexico, the gene pool includes West Africa.
Desert Legions: The Romans in Africa | History Today

Old 03-24-2017, 09:57 AM

368 posts, read 454,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Yes, ironically, the racial tension I witnessed between Mexican teens and black teens in rural AZ back in the 80s was far worse than the "Deep South" of North FL, Southern GA, and Southern AL in recent years. It's even worse in the prison systems like shown in "Blood In Blood Out".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIOuT436H5A

An even deeper irony is that many Mexicans are genetically part West African. But they usually don't admit it or even acknowledge it. A DNA profile would reveal the West African ancestry of many modern "Mexicans" which is an ethnicity mixed with European, indigenous, West African, and North African gene pools.
African Roots Stretch Deep Into Mexico : Mexico History

To be fair, a lot young modern Mexicans are open-minded. Selena Gomez (half white) is dating a part Ethiopian rapper. But Spaniards had already mixed with North Africans for thousands of years: Morocco, Ethiopia (at one point part of Roman Empire), and Arabic regions. Spain and Italy intermixed heavily, and both were highly present in North African. Hence, the gene pool of Spaniards is already intermixed with North Africa. In Mexico, the gene pool includes West Africa.
Desert Legions: The Romans in Africa | History Today
VERY few mexicans have any significant amount of African ancestry, like less than 3% of all mexicans have DNA that is over 10% African in origin, most have little to none. Hispanic groups where the average person has LARGE amounts of black African DNA are Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Colombians, Panamanians to name a few, but not mexicans.
Basically the Spanish Caribbean, the Caribbean coast of southern Central America, and the Caribbean coast of South America.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Just another accent Hillary Clinton has to adopt to woo voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies